IGNORED

Tiger Woods' injury: self-inflicted?

RichF
Note: This thread is 5765 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

You're right: Tiger wasn't better than everybody else before he got big. You, know, if he had been bulked in 1997, he would've won the Masters by 20 strokes instead of a measly 12. And isn't it pathetic that all three of his US Amateur wins went to the 36th hole (or a playoff) in the finals? Had he been big, he would have won all those matches 8&7!

I realize his golf skills are what wins him the tournaments, but you're just being naive if you think his workout routine is a non-factor. Ask Tiger yourself and see what he says. There has to be some reason he's in the gym all the time and not chilling out with a burger getting huge like John Daly or Tim Herron etc.

I've got news for the brain surgeon. Tiger works as much on his lower body as the upper. His legs are adequately strong enough to support any extra weight.
I would mark this article as not even remotely credible as the majority of people gain weight as they age and don't suffer from knee problems. His thoughts,quite frankly, border on absurd.

I'm sorry, but there's a reason why Tiger is better than everyone else.

He certainly isn't the best driver - other guys have equal if not better iron-play and his short-game doesn't stand head-and-shoulders above Mickelson, either.

So, the answer could be: his putting and mental-game under pressure....
TaylorMade R9 460 9.5°
TaylorMade R9 13°
TaylorMade RAC TP MB 3-PW
TaylorMade RAC TP 54°.10 / 58°.10
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

With all sports injuries as it has been said there is some area that can deem it self inflicted.
In My Bag:

DriverR7 Superquad, 9.5 Degrees
WoodFT 3 Wood, 15 Degrees
Wood906F 5 Wood, 18 DegreesIronsMX-25 3-9 IronWedgeVokey Tour Chrome 48 Degree WedgeX Forged Vintage Wedge 54 DegreeWedge Vokey Spin Milled Oil Can 60 Degree PutterUnitized Retro

All the world class athletes tend to get injuries- look at Pistol Pete Sampras, David Duval. By contrast, John Daly has had a relatively injury free career- the relationship is clear to me.

Lol. Yeah... after enough alchohol and multiple divorces, fate simply has nothing left to throw at you!

In all seriousness, that author is just profiteering (imho). Anything to get on the Tiger Woods cash-wagon. Then again, we could start weighing in the tour players and announcing them like boxers... just imagine John Daly's introduction. And... in the beer tent corner...
Favorite Practice Course:
Z Boaz Municipal, Fort Worth <<< Ben Hogan grew up playing here!
--------------------------------------------------

In the bag: 983E 9.5*, Fuji Speeder S RPM LP, 4W, Neutral Bias STAFF Ci6 irons, S (going up for sale soon) Tom Watson PVD 08 Wedges (G.S,L)... and a 4...

He has a habit of snapping his left knee hard when he hits the golfball. This is more likely the source of his trouble than what ever theory some guy who's never examined him cooks up to get his name in the press.

The idea that someone bulking up with muscle causing a stress fracture due to the added muscle weight sounds like a load of dung to me. It's not like he went from 160 to 250 lbs. I weighed 165 till I was 27 and messed up my left knee playing soccer. Since then I have been a competetive racquet ball player and marathon cyclist, and now, at 56, a 7 day-a-week golfer weighing up to 230 lbs... so where is my stress fracture from the added weight? BS!

Just some blow hard publicity hound in my book.

SubPar

He looked quite different at the 07 US OPEN then he did at this year's.

Looks like he went "meathead" at the gym in more ways than one in 06, 07.

As Jimmy Rome said, "Tiger looks like he could lay wood in an NFL secondary"

I say self inflicted, his swing was much smoother when he was not "working out" so much. He does look smaller now though.

In the Bag...Ping Hoofer

3dx Tour Square - UST V2 HMOI X Flex
3dx 15* - X flex
Baffler DWS 20* Aldila NV Stiff 4-GW 600XC Forged Irons- S Flex 55* SW - Burner XD 60* LW - Burner XD Craz E Putter <----ProV1x---> Pellet

I remember a quote from his dad, Earl, about how the both sides of Tiger's family never "filled out" until they were in their late 20' - early 30's. I remember reading how Tiger came out on tour and was eating sh%t foods and working out and still was not gaining weight. Then he said all of a sudden he was packing on weight (muscle) while working out and eating healthier foods. Maybe that is the way Tiger is programmed genetically. The author and some of the people here look way to into Tigers game and try to find fault with it. Lets just take the the sports injury for what it is, a sports injury. Discussing whether or not running is good for golf or if lifting weights is wrong, is completely pointless. Tiger is a better golfer now than he was when he won the US Open by 12 strokes. I still think that the PGA players were stunned at first by him and were nervous. I think they have learned that he is just a player and that they can beat him so that has elevated their games as well as Tiger's. What person doesnt gain weight as they age. Tiger instead has gained muscle while most people gain fat!

Nike SQ 9.5 w/ ProLaunch Red
Titliest 906F2 15
Miura 202 3-5 Irons
Miura Blade 6-PW Irons
Mizuno MP 51 & 56Yes! Tracy IINike One Black

Note: This thread is 5765 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!