IGNORED

Tiger Woods' injury: self-inflicted?

RichF
Note: This thread is 5766 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

What do you think?

It makes sense and I pretty much buy it.

The irony of physical fitness. I don't know how many times I've been chagrined by reports of someone having a heart attack while jogging.

Best, Mike Elzey

In my bag:
Driver: Cleveland Launcher 10.5 stiff
Woods: Ping ISI 3 and 5 - metal stiffIrons: Ping ISI 4-GW - metal stiffSand Wedges: 1987 Staff, 1987 R-90Putter: two ball - black bladeBall: NXT Tour"I think what I said is right but maybe not.""If you know so much, why are you...

I am going to go out on a limb here, this is all speculation, and as much as there is potential for this story to be true (and false) none of us will ever know what the cause of this injury is untill Tiger himself tells us, as no one else would release this information.

In my Ping UCLAN Team Bag

Nike Sasqautch 9.5 - V2 Stiff
Cleveland HiBore 15 - V2 Stiff
Ben Hogan Apex FTX, 2 - PW - Dynamic Gold StiffNike SV Tour 52, 58 - Dynamic Golf StiffYes Golf Callie - 33 inchesBall - Srixon Z star X

It would be interesting to see when Tiger get back to form how his knee hold up on the long run.

Do we know of any other golfers that have come back from a year of absence from any injury?

Did Ben Hogan recover from a terrible auto accident and win a major golf tournament.

Titleist 910 D2 9.5 Driver
Titleist 910 F15 & 21 degree fairway wood
Titleist 910 hybrid 24 degree
Mizuno Mp33 5 - PW
52/1056/1160/5

"Yonex ADX Blade putter, odyssey two ball blade putter, both  33"

ProV-1

Well its been suggested that Tigers knee injury has been bothering him for a while thus limiting his practise time, we have also been told that Tigers knee will be healthier than ever post recovery, we can only assume that Tiger will come back better than ever.

Ben Hogan Apex FTX, 2 - PW - Dynamic Gold StiffNike SV Tour 52, 58 - Dynamic Golf StiffYes Golf Callie - 33 inchesBall - Srixon Z star X

I think the article is BS. Anyone can be injured and didnt he say he tore his ACL while running? The stress fracture could have been a result from favoring the ACL injury. Tiger is not doing Olympic weightlifting workouts. I am sure Tigers trainer knows what is best for him over some writer who is trying to sell a book.

Nike SQ 9.5 w/ ProLaunch Red
Titliest 906F2 15
Miura 202 3-5 Irons
Miura Blade 6-PW Irons
Mizuno MP 51 & 56Yes! Tracy IINike One Black

I think the article is BS. Anyone can be injured and didnt he say he tore his ACL while running? The stress fracture could have been a result from favoring the ACL injury. Tiger is not doing Olympic weightlifting workouts. I am sure Tigers trainer knows what is best for him over some writer who is trying to sell a book.

Well in his defence Tiger saying he did it running is by no means true. And Tiger is a lot heavier than his natural body built suggests he should be. Butttt I agree that I am sure Tiger and his trainer would not do anything to harm his performance.

When I first read this I pictured Tiger swinging a golf club at his knee.

Driver: Nike Sumo SQ 9.5 Diamana Stiff
3-Hybrid: Pro Gold Tour Prototype
3-wood: Callaway X
4-A: Taylor Made R7
SW: Idea A3 Putters: Old blade putter that keeps finding its way back into my bag. Balls: Walmart Specials

Well in his defence Tiger saying he did it running is by no means true. And Tiger is a lot heavier than his natural body built suggests he should be.

I dont know if I agree with that statement. According to height, weight, and other characteristics, he doesnt seem to be any heavier than he should be.

• Administrator

I think running is silly, period. The doctor has a point, though I don't think he ever really makes it.

Why hasn't Tiger trained by doing lower-impact things like swimming or bicycling? Why jogging? One of my good friends in high school ran cross country and constantly had injuries. Running is hard on the body and especially the knees. The doctor's point is that running isn't particular to golf, and he's right. Tiger feels endurance is, but he could have done his cardio/endurance work in a less stressful way than running.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Did Ben Hogan recover from a terrible auto accident and win a major golf tournament.

A knee injury is a lot less violent than a car wreck.

Most people hope to be alive after a crash as bad as that I fully expect the knee to heal and Tiger to win again.

Driver: 10.5* SuperQuad TP 1st Edition All Black V2 Stiff
5 Wood - 585.h 19* DG S300
Irons: 3-PW S59 Stiff
Wedges: Rac TP 52*, 60* MP-T 56*
Putter(s): Anser 3 TP Black ballGET TO SINGLE DIGITS!Goal: Beat a certain admin that lives in my town

This seems odd...Tiger isn't even that big compared to guys in NFL, MLB etc. There are countless guys 6' 200+ that have more upper body mass, that train harder. It has to be a combination of his training and his violent follow thru.

R7 TP 8.5* Fuji Speeder x-stiff (heavy,low,fade set)
975F 3W 13.5*
FX Tour Grind Nickel 3-PW +1/2", Rifle 6.5
Vokey SW 52*
CG10 LW 60* 3 dot (14* bounce) Tracy putter 35" (hit R but putt L)+ 1 club TBD...Past home courses: Unicorn GC (Stoneham, MA), Forest Creek GC (Round Rock, TX)Ball: Use...

I think running is silly, period. The doctor has a point, though I don't think he ever really makes it.

I have two friends that are triatheletes. One runs marathons and has been doing so for 10 years without injury. I tore my ACL before and it is really easy to do. He could have lost his footing or tripped over something, etc. Sure there are less impact cardio workouts but Tiger felt that was the best workout for him. I believe jogging/running is beneficial for walking the course and maintaining stamina.

Titliest 906F2 15
Miura 202 3-5 Irons
Miura Blade 6-PW Irons

• Administrator
I have two friends that are triatheletes. One runs marathons and has been doing so for 10 years without injury.

In light of the overwhelming evidence you've offered, I take back all the common sense I offered.

[/sarcasm]
Sure there are less impact cardio workouts but Tiger felt that was the best workout for him. I believe jogging/running is beneficial for walking the course and maintaining stamina.

Stamina is stamina, and unlike a triathlete, he's not actually running on the golf course, so he doesn't need to get used to running.

I stand by what I said. There are lower-impact ways to build stamina than running. And you can't trip while swimming or riding a stationary bike.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Oh, then I recant all the common sense I offered in light of the overwhelming evidence you've offered.

You mentioned a friend that ran track, I mentioned a friend that had no injuries while running. LOL

Sure there are lower impact ways but I am not one to disagree with the training that the number one (possibly ever) golfer does. Maybe Tiger sucks at swimming or cant ride a bike. I dont know. Maybe he should join a senior home swim exercise class and do that for low impact. You can get hurt in any exercise. Hell, he could drown in a pool or wreck on his bike and screw up his head.

Titliest 906F2 15
Miura 202 3-5 Irons
Miura Blade 6-PW Irons

This seems odd...Tiger isn't even that big compared to guys in NFL, MLB etc. There are countless guys 6' 200+ that have more upper body mass, that train harder. It has to be a combination of his training and his violent follow thru.

Thats not what the article said. Tigers body is designed to be slim of build, then he's added lots of extra muscle weight onto his slim frame. Those American footballers and baseballers you mentioned (they were footballers, right?) were naturally bigger guys, able to support a bigger upper body. Look at pictures of Tiger 10 years ago and compare it with now, you'll see what the point is then.

Whats in the bag:

Driver: Nike Ignite 460cc 10.5* Fujikura Ignite reg flex
Fairway woods: Howson tour master power series 3,5 woods
Irons: MacGregor M675 3-PW DG S300 Wedges: Mizuno MP-R Black Nickel 54.10, 60.05Putter: Pinfire Golf P4Ball: Titleist NXT TourHome Course:http://www.golfarmagh.co.uk/...

I don't really buy it. So hes saying an endomorph(higher bodyfat) a mesomorph(muscular) and an ectomorph(thin) all have different knee structures? It seems to me that some doctors are on a "weight training" witch hunt. The body as far as I know can adapt to a hell of a lot of things. I think gaining 10-20 lbs of muscle over a reasonable amount of time and if you stay flexible, can't hurt.

I don't really buy it. So hes saying an endomorph(higher bodyfat) a mesomorph(muscular) and an ectomorph(thin) all have different knee structures? It seems to me that some doctors are on a "weight training" witch hunt. The body as far as I know can adapt to a hell of a lot of things. I think gaining 10-20 lbs of muscle over a reasonable amount of time and if you stay flexible, can't hurt.

Define reasonable.

If Tiger starts training when he is 20 (ish) and some one else starts when they're 16, the 16 year olds body will be more capable of adapting. Whereas Tigers body is done its (natural) growth, so it is less able to adapt.
Whats in the bag:

Driver: Nike Ignite 460cc 10.5* Fujikura Ignite reg flex
Fairway woods: Howson tour master power series 3,5 woods
Irons: MacGregor M675 3-PW DG S300 Wedges: Mizuno MP-R Black Nickel 54.10, 60.05Putter: Pinfire Golf P4Ball: Titleist NXT TourHome Course:http://www.golfarmagh.co.uk/...

Note: This thread is 5766 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!