IGNORED

Making a Tucson Trip Next Week Where Should I Play?

Note: This thread is 5751 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I am heading down to Tucson next week and was wondering if anyone has any recommendations. My parents live on Arizona National so I will be playing there for sure. I have also played the following courses, would love to play somewhere new if you have any recommendations.

Arizona National
Ventana Canayon
49er Club
Fred Enke
Star Pass

What's in the bag?
Titleist D2 9.5 Stiff
Mizuno F60 3W
TaylorMade 3 Hybrid
Nike Pro Combo 3-PWTaylorMade TP 52 degreeTaylorMade TP 60degree

I believe Vistoso is closed until Fall. There are many courses in Tucson and around the outskirts of town. Here are my suggestions:
Arizona National
The Pines
Tucson National
Starr Pass
Ventana Canyon
del Lago (in Vail)
Try to get onto La Paloma, The Gallery, and Stone Canyon (these are private so you may have to find members to get you on)

Arizona National is tough, royally kicks my rear end. Beautiful views tho, and in decent condition back in April. Have played there 4 times, would do it again

Tucson National has two courses, and the Catalina is by far the tougher: high rough, tight fairways, and protected greens. The PGA event was held there some years ago. The other course is more open and easier to score on. That said, having stayed at the resort a number of times, they are great tracks, IMHO. Was there a year ago during the college tournament on Catalina, was way fun to watch...

Starr Pass is nice and can be played inexpensively via several discount golf sites. It is up in the west end back in a canyon. Really beautiful location. Nice track, all three 9s are above average but not memorable. Conditions can be iffy; played once on lush, well kempt fairways, then again on drier, scruffier stuff.

The Gallery South is the course to play. Very tough, beautiful vistas, and great holes. Watching the PGA play there doesn't really do it justice. 2-3 years ago, I got on for $65, but last year it was more like $240. Very few places I would pay that coin for, but it was worth it. Is it private, now, or just semi-private?

The other gem there is Vistoso; too bad if it is closed. Played there twice and really loved it. Cool little track with some risk/reward holes. Memorable.

My top five would be: Gallery South, Tucson National Catalina, Vistoso, Tucson National Sonoran, Starr Pass. Other courses may be closed as well, should probably check with the pro shops. I was at Tucson National two summers ago, and the Sonoran course looked like hay. Completely dead. Don't know how they regen the course, but the next april, it was in pristine shape

Lots of other tracks, as you said. Talk to your hotel, they can probably give you some pointers to other gems in the area...

Have fun...

Vistoso is best bet but closed for green redo...
Ventana Canyon is awesome...
Arizona National, yes.

No on Starr Pass or The Pines, not crazy about Tucson National either, very ordinary.

Taylormade Tour Burner, 2008 9.5, Fujikura Reax 60 stiff shaft, 2 degrees open
Callawy Heavenwood, 14 degree Hybrid, stock shaft
Titleist 585H, 17 and 21 degree Hybrids, Aldila Stiff 85 shafts
Titleist Tour 4-PW, Dynamic Gold s300
Titeist Vokey Spin Milled 56 and 60 degreeMaxfli Crossbax 5.0Top...

I'd second trying to get on La Paloma. I stayed at the Westin last year (which grants access to the course) and played all three 9's. Nicklaus signature course with some imposing forced carries off the tee...especially from the tips.

I'd also suggest checking out the North and Dell Urich courses at the Randolph complex. Not quite Bethpage or Torrey Pines, but still pretty good for muni's.

Note: This thread is 5751 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!