IGNORED

2024 TST Birdie Challenge

iacas

• Administrator

Just like the 202220212020, and 2023 topics, we're doing it again in 2024!

Once again, I'd like to birdie every hole at Whispering Woods in 2024 (and maybe every numbered hole on other courses). I'd like you to join me on this quest. This year's spreadsheet is below:

Please click through, add your name, home course, and location, and when you make a score on the holes as you play them, update your line in the spreadsheet with your ringer score, basically. The idea is to score a birdie or better on each hole on the course this year.

If you're above a certain handicap and would like to make it a par challenge, go for it! Just add that note to the Notes column.

Please leave the formatting as is. And note that you only write down one score - if you birdie a hole three times, you aren't writing down -3. It's just your best individual score for each hole.

We can all cheer each other on and see where this takes us!

If you truly play a TON of different courses, then follow these two guidelines:

• If you just play a lot of golf, but still get 20 or 25 (or more) rounds in on one course, consider making that your home course and just doing the birdie challenge there.
  • If you truly play only 20-40 rounds per year, and never more than a handful at the same course, consider trying to birdie holes numbered 1 to 18 across all of your courses. Or even doing it twice. Yeah, some hole #17s will be easier birdies than others, but that's why you might do it twice.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• iacas pinned and featured this topic
  • Administrator

Sorry @DaveP043, @bkuehn1952, and @coachjimsc: you should be able to edit now. I had it set to view only.

• Thumbs Up 1

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• 2 weeks later...

First birdie of the year....

Par 5 - Hole 4 - Driver to fairway, 6 iron lay up, 54 degree from 100 into wind 10 feet past hole - spin, slope and wind helped it spin back to leave an easy 3 foot up hill putt. 

Let's Go! 

• Thumbs Up 2

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

Way to go @TourSpoon.   
Going to chronicle pars as well as birdies or better as in past years with “0” on pars.  

Ping G400 SFT 10deg  R flex
Ping G410 3w R flex
Ping G400 3h and 4h R flex
Taylormade SLDR 5i thru PW graphite shaft R flex
Cleveland CBX wedges - 50, 54, 58 or 52, 58 (depending on my mood)
Odyssey Versa or White Steel #5
Srixon Q Star

I don’t think I’ll get 20 rounds on a single course but I put one down as my home course anyway. If by the end of the year I don’t get enough rounds in I’ll just add the birdies there to my away composite.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

• 2 weeks later...

Got the first birdie of the year out of the way on the par 5 #6 hole. Played four rounds already. Hit a good drive 250 down the right side of the fairway and had 250 left to the green. Hit a great 3w just left of the green and pin high. Was able to putt from off the green and sank a 6 footer for the birdie.

If I wasn't terrible at putting I'd have four or five birdies already. I'm not making the appropriate amount of putts inside of 10' for my handicap.

• Thumbs Up 2

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

On a bit of a birdie run ATM. 

Picked up one or two almost every round, left two Eagle putts just short, tut tut ;-) ,and hit the pin with a wedge on a part five also for Eagle.  
Course is very dry and playing short

• Thumbs Up 1

• Administrator

I forgot to write down my birdies from my trip to Tobacco Road, so I'll do it now.

I birdied… 4, 9, 12, 14, 17.

• Thumbs Up 1

First birdie of the year. 150yd par 3 into a strong wind. Ball it and left a crater about a foot to the left of the hole and rolled behind the pin about 2ft. I had to mark it and clean the ball, then proceeded to line it up like a major was on the line. Made putt. Next tee, hit a line drive deep into the intercoastal. 

:tmade: Stealth2 driver, 3 hybrid. :ping: G410 Fairway  :titleist: 5-AW  :vokey: 52/56/60 SM9

:tmade: Spider Tour X putter

:snell: MTB Prime 3.0, :adidas: Tour360 22

On 1/14/2024 at 12:24 PM, billchao said:

If I wasn't terrible at putting I'd have four or five birdies already. I'm not making the appropriate amount of putts inside of 10' for my handicap.

Dude, you can fix that. ... or is it one of those winter fury greens things. Sometimes that can actually be a thing. Other times it can at least be an excuse.

2 hours ago, snapfade said:

Made putt. Next tee, hit a line drive deep into the intercoastal. 

Nice birdie. ... The Intercostal line drive is a classic way to follow up the first birdie of the year.

tenor.gif.733c837315c59928e5a4b4cd85a987f3.gif

• Thumbs Up 1

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

7 minutes ago, ChetlovesMer said:

Dude, you can fix that. ... or is it one of those winter fury greens things. Sometimes that can actually be a thing. Other times it can at least be an excuse.

I’m just bad at putting and I don’t practice it at all.

Bill

My Swing Thread

• 2 weeks later...

Birdied #5 today, a hole I didn’t make a birdie on anywhere all of last year. Topped a drive and followed that up with a 210 yard 4i to 15’. Center cup.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Bill

My Swing Thread

Nice to get stroke hole  three out of the way, our longest par four off the whites at 420 yards, with a burn( stream) just shot of the green. 
Hit a nice seven iron to 5/6 feet & made a nice putt. 

Managed to birdie 18 yesterday.

The green is like a bowl, was about 20 feet away pin high .

My mate was on the opposite side in the rough  and chipped his too hard and landed directly behind mine almost touching. 
Give me a nice read , not many straight putts on that green .

Birdied #9 today. Hooked one off the tee and it hit the cart path, ending up left of the maintenance path. Had to punch hook a 7i from 120 out but pulled it slightly and somehow it hit the bank of the bunker and popped up and onto the green 12’ from the hole.

• Thumbs Up 2

Bill

My Swing Thread

• 3 weeks later...

Birdied #6 again. I also made a 5 after taking E-5 relief on #16, not that it counts for anything other being a bit of a morale boost in an otherwise forgettable round of golf.

Oh, and I holed out from 90 yards on #18 for eagle B-)

• Thumbs Up 2

Bill

My Swing Thread

"Home" course announced they hope to open by March 25, so three more weeks. None of my regular rota are open so I have been hitting some less visited venues of late. Only managed to pickup two birdies so far. Partially my fault with poor ball striking and partially the condition of the greens. They are very, very sloooooow and bumpy.

Brian Kuehn

How do we count 9-hole rounds?

Today I eagled #2 at Hyatt Hills (tees were way up for some reason, played at 400y instead of the usual 480). I thinned the drive over the bunker which was my intended line and hit a flighted 8i from 150 with a crosswind to 6'. Honestly too short for a par 5, but still a legit 3. Also birdied the #4 hole which was playing at true par 5 distance. Hit a drive onto the left side of the fairway 250 off the tee, then hit a 2h from 230 to 20'. Missed the putt by 6" but I will never complain about a tap-in birdie. Or a tap-in par, for that matter.

Bill

My Swing Thread