IGNORED

My Swing (jonny1409)

jonny1409
Note: This thread is 5699 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hello,

Please find attached a link to my swing from the range last night.

I'd appreciate any feedback you have, and in particular any suggestions on how to fix what you see.

To give you a bit of info about myself and my golf game :

- I have been playing for about 10 years, although only socially and for fun.
- In this time I've been through numerous changes in my swing, and have had several lessons on various things.
- I currently play off a 21 handicap but would love to get better

Thank you all in advance.

Your address and backswing don't look too bad, just work on keeping your head from bobbing. A slight lateral movement is ok, but up and down is a no-no.

Without a video that can be slowed down, the swing is hard to analyze, but it looks like it's the downswing transition that's killing you. Remember what Ben Hogan said "the swing goes hands arms shoulders hips legs, then the reverse on the downswing". You need to practice starting down with your lower body, and letting the club drop into the slot and whip through from the inside. Right now your arms are casting the club over and hitting the ball out-in. Your swing looks like a 2 plane swing, like mine, so I can relate. Starting with your lower body will feel funny at first. But stick to it, make sure to finish your swing in balance, and you will really like the results.
Favorite Practice Course:
Z Boaz Municipal, Fort Worth <<< Ben Hogan grew up playing here!
--------------------------------------------------

In the bag: 983E 9.5*, Fuji Speeder S RPM LP, 4W, Neutral Bias STAFF Ci6 irons, S (going up for sale soon) Tom Watson PVD 08 Wedges (G.S,L)... and a 4...

thanks for the slo-mo video. I stick with my original comments. It looks like you might be swinging back too far and getting into a reverse pivot. This is very difficult to feel on your own. A front on video of your swing would confirm it.

Work on:

Keeping your head in position (not bobbing up and down in the swing).

Initiate the downswing with the lower body.

Watch some videos on youtube of Jack Nicklaus and his Golf My Way series. That should give you the idea of starting down with the lower body.

Right now you are looping the club inside to out. Taking it back to the inside and throwing it away from you. Do practice swings trying to make it go the other way. You want to approach the ball from the inside of the target line.
Favorite Practice Course:
Z Boaz Municipal, Fort Worth <<< Ben Hogan grew up playing here!
--------------------------------------------------

In the bag: 983E 9.5*, Fuji Speeder S RPM LP, 4W, Neutral Bias STAFF Ci6 irons, S (going up for sale soon) Tom Watson PVD 08 Wedges (G.S,L)... and a 4...

Hello,

Here is a quick analysis comparing you to another Englishman Nick Faldo.

Starting off your address angles look a little weak. In particular your hips look to be set low and underneath you. Your shaft angle has the club pointing high up into your stomach. In comparison Faldo has his hips held high and pushed back, and the club shaft pointing at his belt. Getting your posture improved at setup will allow you to make better movement during the swing where you will be more balance and have less deviation from swing to swing. Getting the shaft to form a right angle with your spine will help the club start back along the original shaft angle plane instead of swinging under it. As you reach hip high back you still have ok body angles, but by the time you reach the top of the swing you've drastically altered your posture. An easy way to think of body rotation is that it is moving level around your tilted spine. Look at how Faldo's core and chest have rotated level around the tilt he established at address. As you start down your arms rise and fail away from the body. As Faldo starts down his arms drop behind him as his back stays rotated away from the target. This allows Faldo to approach from a shallow angle where the club approaches from inside the ball to target line and the right wrist is able to maintain its hinge. We see before impact that as a result of the club swinging out and away from the body that the clubhead is to the right of the ball which means you'll have to yank your arms, body, and club to the left to hit the ball. Common shot results of that motion tend to be shanks, pulls, and slices.

In my bag:

Driver: Burner TP 8.5*
Fairway metals/woods: Burner TP 13* Tour Spoon, and Burner TP 17.5*
Irons: RAC MB TP Wedges: RAC TPPutter: Spider Ball: (varies ) (Most of the time): TP Red or HX Tour/56---------------------------------------------------

Thank you both so much for taking the time to look and provide feedback on my swing, and especially for your excellent advice.

Extra thanks to Avid Golfer for your picture, it really does help to see it alonside another.

I'm going to try an digest the information so I can fully understand it in relation to my swing, then set about working on it.

If you have any drills that you feel will help, then I'd love to hear them.

Thank you both again, I really, really appreciate it.

Note: This thread is 5699 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!