IGNORED

Who does that!!!?

jr05
Note: This thread is 5709 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Is there a chance that you have Spokane and Seattle mixed up?!?

I'm not one for the "big city" climate - there's a reason I'm purposefully not in Dallas or Houston. Spokane is more valley-ish, Seattle more industrial-city. Better golf, I'd imagine. (But Seattle does have the sounds.)

Nice rainfall fact. Although, I'd bet Texas storms are quick little typhoons whereas in Washington it'll rain for days straight. All in all, Austin has 300 days of sunshine a year, on average. http://austin.about.com/od/weatheren.../a/weather.htm

The 15th hole was pretty close and getting ready to tee off one of the idiots asks if i've seen his ball. I told him no, but he insisted he saw me pick it up. I told him if he was able to see that then he should have been able to see that we were still putting on the green and that he shouldn't have hit his shot. He asked for his ball back and I told him no. Then went ahead and hit one of the best drives of my life.

Good response. I'll have to remember that if I ever "find" me a new ball.

I'm not one for the "big city" climate - there's a reason I'm purposefully not in Dallas or Houston. Spokane is more valley-ish, Seattle more industrial-city. Better golf, I'd imagine. (But Seattle does have the sounds.)

You're not possibly looking for a roommate, pool boy, caddie or anything like that are you? 300 days of sunshine and warm weather sure beats this midwest crap I deal with in Ohio. Rain, cold, snow, ice, did I mention either rain or cold? Then there are days that we get it all in a 10 minute period.

In my Pro-Walker stand bag:

Driver: Founders Club "The Judge" Graphite shaft (benched for bad play)
3-wood: 15* steel shaft
5 & 7-wood: Velocitized BBT Oversized Graphite Shaft Medium Flex 21* & 25*3-iron: Wilson Sam Snead Blue Ridge (benched for bad play)4-SW: Maker's Pride irons steel shaftsP...

I had a similar situation a couple years ago. My dad and I were playing and behind us was another father and son twosome. Being a hole behind us on a tight golf course, this guy would mishit shots towards us constantly...no fore, no apology. After about the fifth time it happened, I walked up to the guy and calmly said, "Buddy, are you trying to kill us?" After his mumbled response, I said, "I'm sure you don't want your son to watch me kick your ass, so I suggest you wait for my dad and I to play the next two holes so we are safely ahead of you."

Problem solved.

In the bag:
Ping G5 Driver 9 degree, Ping G10 3-wood, Nike 3 hybrid, TaylorMade R9 Irons 4-AW, Cleveland CG15 56 and 60 degree wedges, Odyssey 2-ball blade putter

I had a similar situation a couple years ago. My dad and I were playing and behind us was another father and son twosome. Being a hole behind us on a tight golf course, this guy would mishit shots towards us constantly...no fore, no apology. After about the fifth time it happened, I walked up to the guy and calmly said, "Buddy, are you trying to kill us?" After his mumbled response, I said, "I'm sure you don't want your son to watch me kick your ass, so I suggest you wait for my dad and I to play the next two holes so we are safely ahead of you."

I love this game. Angry golfers unite!

Driver: FT-5 9* Neutral
3 & 5 Wood: SuperSteel
Irons: ISI Beryllium Copper
Sand Wedge: Ben Hogan piece of
Putter: White Hot

I was playing the other week with my dad and a similar thing happened, the guy immediatly realised how close he'd got to us and put his hand up, but my dad didn't like it and threw the ball back at him. He must have thrown it a good 100 150 yards. It went in the rough and we saw him trying to hack it out!!

My dad probably overeacted but the point is, that it could seriously injure someone if you caught them in the head with a ball. If you hear a shout you immediatly cover your head, everyone knows this, it only takes one shout of four to prevent it.

My Clubs

Driver Ben Sayers MX7
3 & 4 woods Ben Sayers MX7
Utility 3 wood Ben Sayers M86 - 9 Irons Ben Sayers NRG 200Wedges Ben Sayers NRG 200

How far out of range does the group ahead have to be from where your ball ends up for it to be considered proper etiquette?

Most sources simply say safely out of range. Is that 30 yards, 50 yards, 100 yards, or some criteria other than simple distance?

Mike

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

How far out of range does the group ahead have to be from where your ball ends up for it to be considered proper etiquette?

Depends on the par of the hole. Par five, for example, I'd say it's ok to tee off if they're on the green or in chipping distance. But if it's something like par three, I think it's entirely inappropriate to tee off until they're finished, cause you can reach the green at that point. I play it a bit safe, but I've had too many people trying to kill me while I putt.

Depends on the par of the hole. Par five, for example, I'd say it's ok to tee off if they're on the green or in chipping distance. But if it's something like par three, I think it's entirely inappropriate to tee off until they're finished, cause you can reach the green at that point. I play it a bit safe, but I've had too many people trying to kill me while I putt.

When I'm standing on the tee, I look to see if the group ahead of me is just beyond where I would be after a great drive. If you wait for the group ahead of you to get to the green on a par 5 before you tee off, you're going to hold up play.

I'm constantly amazed at how many people play what I call "Hero Golf". That's when a guy takes a mammoth swing off the tee on a par 5, hits it about 170 yards into the rough, and then waits for the group ahead of him to get off the green so he can attempt a 350 yard shot to get home in two. Get real!!!

In the bag:
Ping G5 Driver 9 degree, Ping G10 3-wood, Nike 3 hybrid, TaylorMade R9 Irons 4-AW, Cleveland CG15 56 and 60 degree wedges, Odyssey 2-ball blade putter

Depends on the par of the hole. Par five, for example, I'd say it's ok to tee off if they're on the green or in chipping distance.

Slow player! Slow player! Bring batch the Salem witch trials!

Just kidding, we love Llulie ... but on a par 5, once they get half way to their 2nd shot is plenty of distance (provided they aren't hitting 150 yard drives and chunking everything from there).

Slow player! Slow player! Bring batch the Salem witch trials!

I guess I just hit farther than you...

I said par 5 mostly to be the opposite of par 3 (no one's complained about that statement!) I maintain if they're using wedges and the green is reachable, that's time to hit. I would never hit with someone in the middle of a fairway. You just never know if there's wind you haven't accounted for, or a sudden extra burst of strength (or ability). IMO, I'm just going off of me having never hit anyone. I've had people I'm with say "just hit the ball!" but I hold up. Sure enough, I end up hitting right where the group was standing. So I'd never go around telling someone else how to do what they should know for themselves. I agree, you do have to watch how the other group is doing.

I guess I just hit farther than you...

Oh damn ...only because of the ladies' tees!

I'm kidding, I'm kidding. (Why do I have a feeling that just broke up our foursome?)

When I'm standing on the tee, I look to see if the group ahead of me is just beyond where I would be after a great drive. If you wait for the group ahead of you to get to the green on a par 5 before you tee off, you're going to hold up play.

Maybe the antithesis of how I got in trouble a few weeks ago. I was 214 yards out on a par 5 and the course is horribly backed up so I didn't want to wait for green to clear just to try and get there in two. When the group ahead gets to the green and starts surveying their putts, I lay up to within 30-35 yards of them (because it is a forced carry of ~160 yards to clear a hazard). They don't even finish putting but get in the cart and come back to find out why I'm hitting into them. I felt horrible and tried to explain that I was laying up and not going for the green or trying to hit them. Even at that when I was starting my backswing for the layup I could hear the clank from one of the guys behind teeing off ... sort of felt between rock and hard place. To their credit they did seem to calm down and accept that I wasn't trying to hit them when I explained my side.

Honestly still don't know what the correct action was or what I'll do if I ever get in that kind of situation again. Maybe 30 yards is too close but aren't some tee boxes occasionally closer than that from the previous green?

Mike

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Dude, I was playing two weeks ago with my wife and son. On the first hole my son absolutely beasted his driver within 50 yards of green on 391 par 4. While in the middle of his backswing to hit his approach, a ball comes bouncing and rolling up behind him. My wife was standing just a few yards away from him when this happened. I looked back at the tee box and thought "feel the wrath". The dude on the tee picked the wrong group to hit into. My wife hates that stuff and I knew she was going to lay into him. The stupid thing is IT'S THE FIRST HOLE! On labor day. The course is stacked. We weren't going anywhere. Knew it'd be slow.

Dude, I was playing two weeks ago with my wife and son. On the first hole my son absolutely beasted his driver within 50 yards of green on 391 par 4. While in the middle of his backswing to hit his approach, a ball comes bouncing and rolling up behind him. My wife was standing just a few yards away from him when this happened. I looked back at the tee box and thought "feel the wrath". The dude on the tee picked the wrong group to hit into. My wife

LOL, never get between a mother bird and her chicks!

I'm constantly amazed at how many people play what I call "Hero Golf". That's when a guy takes a mammoth swing off the tee on a par 5, hits it about 170 yards into the rough, and then waits for the group ahead of him to get off the green so he can attempt a 350 yard shot to get home in two. Get real!!!

Gee, lol, thought I was the only one who noticed this.

Where I play: Mission Viejo CC and
long Beach Skylinks

In My Red Cleveland Club Count Bag Today;
Hibore XLS 11.5* w/ Diamana Redboard Flowerband 63 S 2009 Launcher 3WD HT 17* w/ Graffalloy Epic 87g S Hibore XLS Hybrid 22* w/ Graffalloy Epic S and 25* w/ Project X 6.0 CG2 4-PW w/ Project X 6.0 HL...

Yeah, kind of wonder who they think they are fooling. It's even better when some hacker who never can seem to find the fairway starts throwing up tufts of grass to determine wind direction as well.

Used to be a 260 yard par 4 on a course I played that required a 250 yard carry over both a lake and a deep bunker just to reach the green in one blow. Then of course, you had to somehow get the ball to stop rolling in about the next 15 yards before it rolled over the green into a few grass pot bunkers. I'd never seen anybody successfully pull it off. But some guy who hit a wormburner off the tee on every prior hole that day suddenly decides to wait for the group on the green to putt out while he throws tufts of grass into the air to determine wind direction...

Maybe the antithesis of how I got in trouble a few weeks ago. I was 214 yards out on a par 5 and the course is horribly backed up so I didn't want to wait for green to clear just to try and get there in two. When the group ahead gets to the green and starts surveying their putts, I lay up to within 30-35 yards of them (because it is a forced carry of ~160 yards to clear a hazard). They don't even finish putting but get in the cart and come back to find out why I'm hitting into them. I felt horrible and tried to explain that I was laying up and not going for the green or trying to hit them. Even at that when I was starting my backswing for the layup I could hear the clank from one of the guys behind teeing off ... sort of felt between rock and hard place. To their credit they did seem to calm down and accept that I wasn't trying to hit them when I explained my side.

I would say the group ahead of you overreacted. In my opinion, 30 yards is an acceptable distance that you don't have to yell fore and they should not have felt threatened.

In the bag:

Note: This thread is 5709 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!