IGNORED

Racism in America?

julie_m
Note: This thread is 5651 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Today we watched the PBS debates to be Texas' US Senator. The answers were kept short and time was left at the end, so they went into a "wild card" round with a mixed bag of questions from the panel of moderators.

The challenger, Rep. Rick Noriega, D, was asked this question:

"Has it occurred to you, 200 years after Abraham Lincoln's birth, that Barack Obama will be deciding who sleeps in the Lincoln bedroom?"

We were stunned, poor Noriega too. He made a fine enough comment that anyone should be able to stand up for their beliefs, etc etc, but I believe this comment was unabashedly racist and an embarrassment. Others I've asked think the question was dumb, but not necessarily racist.

Does anyone else have an opinion?

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Today we watched the PBS debates to be Texas' US Senator. The answers were kept short and time was left at the end, so they went into a "wild card" round with a mixed bag of questions from the panel of moderators.

I would have to see video of the exchange to determine what I think of it.

In my UnderArmour Links stand bag...

Driver: '07 Burner 9.5° (stiff graphite shaft)
Woods: SasQuatch 17° 4-Wood (stiff graphite shaft)
Hybrid: 4DX Ironwood 20° (stiff graphite shaft)Irons/Wedges: Apex Edge 3-PW, GW, SW (stiff shaft); Carnoustie 60° LWPutter: Rossa AGSI+ Corzina...

I would have to see video of the exchange to determine what I think of it.

I looked, I'm not finding one.

I promise it was bland, unemotional, and seemed perfectly civil if you didn't listen to the content.

Sounds like a pretty loaded question to me. Id say that racism is alive and well in America.
Whites arent the only guilty ones either, Im white and I can tell you that Ive experienced racism from just about every ethnic group.
I personally dont consider myself to be racist. Im white and I think the USA is the greatest nation on Earth, but I also have a lot of respect for Japan (so much that I learned how to speak Japanese) and I have no problem with Obama as our president. (Id take him over McCain any day)
I try to do what Dr. King dreamed about : juding people by the content of their character, not the color of their skin...

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

I try to do what Dr. King dreamed about

i don't even judge people by their character, i'm on a mission to empower everyone to evolve as i let others empower my evolution

They will beat their swords into golf clubs and their spears into putters. Nation will not take up sword against nation, nor will they train for war anymore. Old Tom Morris 2:4

Some people will never change. I agree there is a lot of racism and white people cop a lot of flack for bein racist to black people. However, the opposite doesn't happen very often(well in Australia anyway). Always ticked me off that aboriginees could call you whitey, cracker or whatever and never get any flack over it. Racism in sport happens a lot too. The whiteman is so scared of being called racist by the black man and the black man can get away with almost anything. Anyway, these comments are described of the worst people of these two races and for most people(especially on this forum) they are great people and I have many good friends who have ethnic backgrounds

Driver: Taylormade R11 set to 8*
3 Wood: R9 15* Motore Stiff
Hybrid: 19° 909 H Voodoo
Irons: 4-PW AP2 Project X 5.5
52*, 60* Vokey SM Chrome

Putter: Odyssey XG #7

Ball: Titleist Pro V1x

Am I missing something? How do they know Obama will win? Did McCain drop out and I just haven't heard?

I'd have to hear his exact comment to decide but I don't see how his response was racist. Or are you talking about the original question being racist? I'd say the original question is a little on the racist side.

In my Pro-Walker stand bag:

Driver: Founders Club "The Judge" Graphite shaft (benched for bad play)
3-wood: 15* steel shaft
5 & 7-wood: Velocitized BBT Oversized Graphite Shaft Medium Flex 21* & 25*3-iron: Wilson Sam Snead Blue Ridge (benched for bad play)4-SW: Maker's Pride irons steel shaftsP...

bogey, I'm just hoping your state pulls for McCain... I wonder how the media would have reacted if McCain was buddies with Bill Ayers?

Oh the double standards go on and on...

Daniel Duarte
905R UST Proforce V2 76g 44" S
904F 15, Graphite Design YS6+
MD Hybrid, 19 Degree, UST V2 Hybrid S
Pro M Gunmetal 5-PW, Nippon 1150GH Pro SVokey Oil Can 52 - RAWVokey Spin Milled Oil Can 56, 60 - RAWTEI3 Newport II - Torch Copper- Prov1x

DDBowdoin,

Respectfully, Obama is not "buddies" with Bill Ayers and never has been, and nobody has ever been able to show that he was. Please read this:

http://www.factcheck.org/elections-2...ill_ayers.html

What's in my bag:
Cleveland Hibore XLS Monster Driver
TourEdge Exotics 2,3,4 hybrid irons
Tommy Armour 845cs Silverbacks 5-PW
Assorted wedges, Ping Scottsdale Anser

I'd have to hear his exact comment to decide but I don't see how his response was racist. Or are you talking about the original question being racist? I'd say the original question is a little on the racist side.

Right, the original question. Not Noriega's answer, that was fine.

Me thinks the 'R' word is thrown around a little too freely in many of these discussions threads.

I'm a little lost...can you spell out these words for me? What's the G word?

Some people will never change. I agree there is a lot of racism and white people cop a lot of flack for bein racist to black people. However, the opposite doesn't happen very often(well in Australia anyway). Always ticked me off that aboriginees could call you whitey, cracker or whatever and never get any flack over it. Racism in sport happens a lot too. The whiteman is so scared of being called racist by the black man and the black man can get away with almost anything. Anyway, these comments are described of the worst people of these two races and for most people(especially on this forum) they are great people and I have many good friends who have ethnic backgrounds

except that whites have deprived native people's of their pride, land, culture, livelihood, languages and etceteras. its not just two different races having a distrust but one group has a historical precedent for exploitation. to their credit, australia has given apology for their abuses but i think they should give up all their lands and go back to england.

They will beat their swords into golf clubs and their spears into putters. Nation will not take up sword against nation, nor will they train for war anymore. Old Tom Morris 2:4

the key word being historical...

I am white... have whites persecuted blacks? yes... but did my family own plantations? No, so just because past generations of unrelated whites persecuted a portion of the population means they have the liberty to say whatever they want to me?

Hmm, that doesn't make any sense to me at all... but its the world we live in. God forbid we offend anyone

Daniel Duarte
905R UST Proforce V2 76g 44" S
904F 15, Graphite Design YS6+
MD Hybrid, 19 Degree, UST V2 Hybrid S
Pro M Gunmetal 5-PW, Nippon 1150GH Pro SVokey Oil Can 52 - RAWVokey Spin Milled Oil Can 56, 60 - RAWTEI3 Newport II - Torch Copper- Prov1x

oh boy, here we go...another racially loaded thread! Why can't we just not post these treads on this site. It makes me feel like I'm on JerrySpringer.com, not thesandtrap.com

oh boy, here we go...another racially loaded thread! Why can't we just not post these treads on this site. It makes me feel like I'm on JerrySpringer.com, not thesandtrap.com

Oh wah. I distinctly recall putting in the subject line that it was about racism. If you don't like it, just don't read it.

I happen to think there are smart people on here whose opinions I enjoy and respect so I asked a question. Period, end sentence. Now excuse me, I have to go marry my pig.

Pat007, from one secret agent to another - this is the off-topic forum. Respectful debate and discussion on topics unrelated to golf is what the Grill is primarily for.

Why do you think discussion of important social issues is akin to trash tv talk shows?

What's in my bag:
Cleveland Hibore XLS Monster Driver
TourEdge Exotics 2,3,4 hybrid irons
Tommy Armour 845cs Silverbacks 5-PW
Assorted wedges, Ping Scottsdale Anser

• Administrator
Pat007, from one secret agent to another - this is the off-topic forum. Respectful debate and discussion on topics unrelated to golf is what the Grill is primarily for.

What he said.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 5651 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!