IGNORED

What is "up and down"?

Baraethon
Note: This thread is 5667 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

If you look at how scorecard tracks the stat, it allows you to mark an Up and Down for any score.

This seems reasonable if you consider what the statistic is for. How well you scramble. If you chip or pitch close then you will have a higher up and down percentage, regardless of how well you are hitting the long ball.

If you only counted an up and down when you made par, the statistic would be skewed for self evaluation because it would be lower if you made an up and down for bogey or worse (you would not get a successful up and down for a 1-putt if the score was bogey or worse so more failed Up/downs). Even though your short game was effective when your long game was not.

I think Erik had it right with scorecard, you can have one of three things happen on a hole: GIR, U/D or SS. One of those would definately describe your short game and give you a statistic for improvement.

-E

In my Grom bag:

Driver........... Burner 9.5* S-Flex
3-Wood......... Burner 15* S-Flex
5-Wood......... Ovation 18* S-FlexIrons............. Pro Combos 3,5-PW Rifle 6.0Wedges......... CG12 52.10, 56.14, 60.10Putter............ 33" VP1 Milled PutterBall................ e6+ or B330-SRangefinder.....

• Administrator
If you look at how scorecard tracks the stat, it allows you to mark an Up and Down for any score.

To be fair, we don't see that as encouraging abuse of the stat, but rather to let people choose for themselves to make the stat a bit better for their own needs.

For example, a high handicapper is rarely going to get "up and down" for par, so if he defines "up and down" for himself as getting up and down from any shot played within 25 yards of the flag, he can use the stat to see how much (or little) he's improving at that. Personally I tend to stick to the PGA Tour method - for par or better - but I will sometimes leave it blank if, for example, I'm forced to play a provisional from the tee or something. I don't consider that an "up and down" opportunity, and so I don't penalize myself with an "U"nsuccessful attempt.
I think Erik had it right with scorecard, you can have one of three things happen on a hole: GIR, U/D or SS. One of those would definately describe your short game and give you a statistic for improvement.

Well to be fair again, we let you choose both an UD and an SS on the same hole. I've done that too: hit a tough chip that raced off a green and into a bunker, then holed the bunker shot.

Earlier versions let you choose only one of the three (GIR, UD, SS) and we got complaints. You can even choose GIR and UD on a hole - drive it close to a par four, chip on, make the putt. That meets both criteria (kind of). You just have to uncheck the GIR, choose the appropriate UD or SS, then re-click the GIR to YES. In other words, the software tries to guide you into using it properly, but we don't do things like take away the UD option if you don't make par or better.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

No Comment.

EDGE stand bag
S9-1 PRO S - Matrix XCON 6
Rapture 14 degree Aldila VS
DWS Baffler 2 Hybrid Adila stiff
A7 4 hybrid USTAXIVAP1 710 5-GW KBS StiffCG14 - 54.1262.07 Vokey Spin MilledWhite Ice BladeGolf BallsBlack TP & Pro V1x

For me and my personal stats, Up & Down has always meant "to save par"

If I miss a GIR I then consider myself to be "scrambling" to score well - and an UD or a SS will save me from scoring poorly ... that way, when I go back and look at my +8 round and see that I missed 10 GIRs and only had 3 U&D; I know that I need to spend more time on the chipping area (or the putting green depending on distances I am missing chips/putts by).

Just my input on this topic.
In my Bag:

Driver: Burner 10.5* Stiff shaft
3 WoodBurner 15* stiff shaft
5 WoodBurner 18* stiff ShaftHybrid3DX (18.5*)Irons: (4-LW):Putter: Rossa Indy SportBalls: Reds

Ok, so you who are such sticklers that it must be for par (and I still dispute that... I guess to each his own ).... what would you call saving par by holing a 60 foot putt from a foot off the green? I did that today on a par 5... dead behind a tree off the tee, chipped out sideways to the fairway, hit a decent 3rd to about 50 yards, then chunked the 4th to just in front of the green. I then drained the 5th one with a putter, and because I'd never been on the green it doesn't count as a putt, but it's not an up and down since I made it in one stroke.

So what is it?

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Up and down: when a player holes the ball in two strokes starting from off the green. The first stroke, usually a "pitch", a "bunker shot" or a "chip", gets the ball 'up' onto the green, and the subsequent putt gets the ball 'down' into the hole. (var.) "up and in"

Granted this is from Wikipedia, but I have never hear that an up/down meant you had to save for par. Its just a good save, can we accept this and let the good bogey bring as much pride as a good par save?

what would you call saving par by holing a 60 foot putt from a foot off the green?

One hell of a shot ... nice putt.

In my Bag:

Driver: Burner 10.5* Stiff shaft
3 WoodBurner 15* stiff shaft
5 WoodBurner 18* stiff ShaftHybrid3DX (18.5*)Irons: (4-LW):Putter: Rossa Indy SportBalls: Reds

On your score card you can mark this as

up and down = U+
unable to get up and down = U-

Titleist 910 D2 9.5 Driver
Titleist 910 F15 & 21 degree fairway wood
Titleist 910 hybrid 24 degree
Mizuno Mp33 5 - PW
52/1056/1160/5

"Yonex ADX Blade putter, odyssey two ball blade putter, both  33"

ProV-1

I took a cue from the Scorecard program and consider it like this:

If I'm within 100 yards of the green after whatever shot it should have taken me to get a GIR, and I one-putt, it's an U&D.;

In other words, if I'm on a 400-yard par four, and after my drive and second shot, I'm sitting within 100 yards of the green, and I score a five (chip to the fringe, another chip onto the green, one-putt), I give myself a U&D.; If I two-putt, I get a failed U&D.;

If, on the same hole, I hit my tee shot into the woods, punch out, then hit an approach to 80 yards out, hit onto the green and then one-putt for a five, I do not take a U&D;, since after my second shot (my "GIR shot" for lack of a better term) I was beyond 100 yards from the green. I will leave it blank in that case regardless of how many putts I take.

Jess

The stock market

Titleist 910 D2 9.5 Driver
Titleist 910 F15 & 21 degree fairway wood
Titleist 910 hybrid 24 degree
Mizuno Mp33 5 - PW
52/1056/1160/5

"Yonex ADX Blade putter, odyssey two ball blade putter, both  33"

ProV-1

To me, anytime you one putt you have made an "up and down" So a birdie on a par three is in fact an up and down Whatever the up and down saves is really irrelevant to the fact you one putted. The PGA Tour could not care less about any score over par, so lets leave that to them, not us mortals.

Note: This thread is 5667 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!