IGNORED

Starting the Swing wth the Hips?

Baraethon
Note: This thread is 5617 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

The following link

Can't beat that.

Its fantastic to see how he exactly replicates the positions in the live motion video that you can find in his Five Lesson's book. Personally, I yell "hip" at myself at the top of my swing when I'm on the range, or when I take a practice swing in real play. In real play I don't hit a shot until I feel that correct motion. As Hogan says, a twist (uncoil) of the left hip starts it all. I love that guy!

Callaway RazrFit Extreme 9.5 w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XHot Pro 15* 3Wood w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XTour 18* 2h w/S300
Callaway XHot Pro 4/5 irons w/S300
Callaway XForged III 5-PW irons w/S300
Callaway Forged 52*/58* Wedges
Odyssey 7 Versa 90
Callaway Hex Black Tour

Check out another topic on this forum: Lateral slide - swing video.

Well into the discussion there, I mention and describe a drill I call the:

"Reverse hip turn drill" (nothing special about the name, it is just something that popped into the head) It is a drill hitting little 8-irons with an "anti-hip turn" on the backswing.

This little drill has helped several people learn how to power the swing with a ground up hip clearing move. It will provide feel to understand how the lower body can power the swing. By the way, you don't actually trigger the swing with the hips, it is more of a weight movement down... but it all happens so quickly that thinking the hips initiate the downswing is not too far off and is a good thought. Anyway, you asked for a drill, and this is one to try. I hope it helps you get the feel.

Regards,

RC

The easiest way to get your hips to turn is to play the ball closer in to you . By pulling the ball in closer to you, your hips naturally have to clear to execute your swing. Also, the closer you play the ball to you, the more accurate you get. For guys with lower back problems, this is an especially effective way, as it also naturally keeps your posture more upright, and lessens the tension on the lower back.

That strategy, along with the changes I made explained in this thread I have linked below, helped me eliminate some of those exact problems you listed. They worked great for me, hope you find them useful as well.

http://thesandtrap.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17895

Next time they give you all that civic bullshit about voting, keep in mind that Hitler was elected in a full, free democratic election- George Carlin

In the Hoofer bag:
10.5* Redline RPM G5 16* G5 19* G5 22* MX 200, 4-6, MP-52 7-W Vokey 50*, Vokey SM 54*, 58* G5i flatstick IGNITE ball

Note: This thread is 5617 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now