IGNORED

Golf Video Game?

brettwasbtd
Note: This thread is 5664 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I have read that playing golf video games on the computer/console can be beneficial, especially if you use clubs that would be realistic to the distance you can hit. Setting the previous statement aside, what game out there is the best? I have had Tiger woods 07 for ps2 for a while now, but I was wondering if there are better games out there?

I have messed around with WGT - World Golf Tour online. It is ok, but not much course selection

"To ensure perfect aim, shoot first and call wherever the ball lands the target"

a friend of mine had tiger woods 08 for ps3, and it had a few more courses than 07 did and a few different players. he also had woods 07 for ps3, which looked like it was a whole universe apart from the ps2 version, but i don't know if any of the courses/players were different.

I have messed around with WGT - World Golf Tour online. It is ok, but not much course selection

Cool!

Never heard of this before and just giving it a try out! I've had a few Tiger Woods games and always enjoyed them. I liked the mini game on '04 where you had a certain time to score as many points as you could; long drives got you loads of points, aiming for greens far away got them too. That was fun!

In the Matrix XTT Standbag:

Driver: Biggest Big Bertha 11*
Fairway Wood: Steelhead Plus 3 Wood
Irons: T-Zoid Titanium Insert irons 3-SWWedge: Vokey Spin Milled Oil Can 60.04Putter: Pro Platinum Laguna 34" w/ British Open '04 headcoverBall: ProV1 Rule35 Playing again after a three year hiatus...

U Tour Golf. It's nothing special, especially if you have a "laggy" computer (like myself). But I played it a while back. You can even put in money to get into tournaments to see if you could win and maybe make some mula if you're lucky.

U Tour Golf. It's nothing special, especially if you have a "laggy" computer (like myself). But I played it a while back. You can even put in money to get into tournaments to see if you could win and maybe make some mula if you're lucky.

I signed up for it and installed it but:

-it doesn't work on Google Chrome. -When I sign in through Firefox it crashes the browser -When using IE I try to join a game and the browser tells me I need to sign in, when I am already!

Irons: T-Zoid Titanium Insert irons 3-SWWedge: Vokey Spin Milled Oil Can 60.04Putter: Pro Platinum Laguna 34" w/ British Open '04 headcoverBall: ProV1 Rule35 Playing again after a three year hiatus...

i've been playing the tiger woods series since 99, way before i even thought of picking up some sticks...and to me it never gets old...every year it is upgraded with new courses, new pro's, and new clubs/gear...out of all the golf games i've played (there really isn't many, good ones at least) it is by far the most realistic.

titleist.gif 910 D2 10.5 ProLaunch Blue S 55

:callaway: X2 Hot 3W  |  X Hot Pro 16H  |  X2 Hot 19H

:callaway: Apex 4-PW Project X 5.0 Flighted   

vokey.gif SM4 50.12, SM5 55.11
:cameron: Del Mar  |  titleist.gif NXT Tour S  

i've been playing the tiger woods series since 99, way before i even thought of picking up some sticks...and to me it never gets old...every year it is upgraded with new courses, new pro's, and new clubs/gear...out of all the golf games i've played (there really isn't many, good ones at least) it is by far the most realistic.

I tend not to agree with the realism part.They try to add too many video game attributes to it for my taste. I've played Links (starting with Links LS 97... or if you like World Class Leaderboard for my Apple II back in the late 80's) for many years and every time I break down and buy the annual offering of TW, I always end up disappointed. I see TW as a video game while Links is a golf simulation (near as possible when you use a mouse to swing with). The last official version of Links is 2003, but with community input and modifications it has stood the test of time quite nicely.

I play in an online Tour (The Online World Golf Championships). We have 2 divisions and we follow the US PGA and European Tours as faithfully as possible. You even have to expend one of your limited exemptions to play a tournament on the tour you aren't a member of. There are well over 1000 good free courses for Links and a few that you have to pay a small fee to download. I have over 100 top courses in my HD right now, including the best rendition of Augusta National you'll ever see. The guys who collaborate on it attend the practice rounds each year and take 100's of photos to update the course to be as perfect as possible. Check out this screen of the approach to the 11th with the famous 12th in the background:

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I whole heartedly agree that links is more of a golf simulator than TW.
However Isn't TW just about the only game out there these days?

Links last update was 2003.

My buddy made an off the cuff remark/question asking if TW was a simulator.

I had to say yes, since Links is so old.

It's a shame

In My Bag:
Driver: TaylorMade Burner 9.5* Stock Stiff
5 Wood: TaylorMade V-Steel Aldila NV Stiff
7 Wood: TaylorMade V-Steel Stock Steel
4-PW: TaylorMade R7XD Stock Stiff Steel48* Wedge: Callaway Forged52* Wedge: Founders Club60* Wedge: Founders ClubPutter: Odyssey DFX 6600Balls: Titleist ProV1 & DT SoLo

I tend not to agree with the realism part.They try to add too many video game attributes to it for my taste. I've played Links (starting with Links LS 97... or if you like World Class Leaderboard for my Apple II back in the late 80's) for many years and every time I break down and buy the annual offering of TW, I always end up disappointed.

I had Links LS '99! Got it for my 15th birthday, 10yrs ago today! Playing Bay Hill, Latrobe CC etc, the halcyon days!

The Online Golf World Championships sounds fun, must take a look at that!

I started playing golf after playing TW 2006 on the PC.

But...I play TW 2008 on the Wii when it is raining or cold.

STR8 Dymo 10.5
Dymo 3W
Mid Rescue 3
MP-33 4-PW
Eidolon 52* GW LW, SW Titleist Bullseye Putter

I whole heartedly agree that links is more of a golf simulator than TW.

Yes the last official version was 2003. But the community is now playing version 07, with improvements that Microsoft rejected back when the 2003 version was in beta testing. The base game may be 6 years old, but the playability is still up to date, with high resolution textures for courses, 3 times as many green speed and firmness options, custom tee setups (you don't have to use the same tee set for an entire round, pick the ones you want for each hole). The player animations are not up to current standards, but a user group has created skins for some of the top pros that "sort of" look like them, as well as some fun fantasy skins.

If you haven't seen it since the original version of 2003 then you really haven't seen the game. The base game can be purchased online for $5, and then upgraded at no cost to the 07 version. Like I said above, there are close to 2000 courses available, most for free download. TW isn't even in the same galaxy in that regard. Anyone who is really interested can click the link to visit Links Corner . It's free to join and you can learn anything you need to from them. Most of the available courses can be downloaded there too.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

funny thing is, i used to be crazy good at video game golf even though i dont play too much. after i picked up golf for real... my video game golf went to crap.

ive been wanting to find a new golf game to play. theres not much comment on here about the TW game.... so is it good? The only golf game i have now is mario golf... and that's hardly close to real golf. There was a game for dreamcast called Tee Off that I remember being pretty good. Could change all your equipment and stuff... but my dc broke.

Is TW golf really the only option nowadays?

Driver: Tour Burner 9.5° Stock Stiff
Wood: Tour Burner TS 13° Stock Stiff
Hybrid: Tour Burner T2 18° Stock Stiff
Irons: Tour Preferred 3-PW Rifle Project X 6.0
Wedges: 54.10|58.08 Z TP Rifle Spinner 5.5 Putter: VP Mills VP2 Ball: TP/Red.LDP Bag: Warbird Hot Stand Bag 2.0Started playing...

there's a couple things thats not realistic in tiger woods, spin control while the ball is in the air, and the put preview on the newer ones, other than that i'd say its pretty close to sim...i would agree that links is pretty realistic as well, but to me the feathering of the anaolg stick gives me more feel of a swing than a mouse move back and through, just my opinion though. i really like how if you start the backswing with the analog on the inside to out you hit a draw, and on the outside to in you hit a cut, just like i do with my real swing. oh yea and i used to love playing world class leaderboard on the old commodore 64. i wish i still had that thing

titleist.gif 910 D2 10.5 ProLaunch Blue S 55

:callaway: X2 Hot 3W  |  X Hot Pro 16H  |  X2 Hot 19H

:callaway: Apex 4-PW Project X 5.0 Flighted   

vokey.gif SM4 50.12, SM5 55.11
:cameron: Del Mar  |  titleist.gif NXT Tour S  

i play tiger wood 2003 for pc because i made my home course. but as for the best, tiger woods 09 is one of the best games for the xbox 360.

In my bag:
r7 Driver 9.5*
3 and 7 wood
3dx Hybrid 17*
3-PW DCI 990 irons 56* Hooter SW CG10 60* Wedge White Hot XG 2 Ball Putter Pro V-1

Note: This thread is 5664 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!