IGNORED

Project X Shafts

EBA
Note: This thread is 5605 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

That sounds about right to me. Remember an iron is a lot shorter than a driver meaning that you will have a lower swing speed. My driver SS is 118, my 6 iron SS is 94mph.

That is Smokin fast with an Iron..I envy you haha

|Callaway FT-9 Tour Neutral 9.5 Diamana BlueBoard| TaylorMade TourLaunch 14.5 Matrix Ozik F7M2 X| Adams Idea Pro 20 Matrix Ozik Altus X| Mizuno MP-32 4-PW TTDG S300|Titleist Vokey 50| Tour Issue Titleist Black Ni Vokey SM 54|Callaway X Forged 62 || Kirk Currie Brazos| Callaway Tour IX/...

Dont pay attention to your driver SS here, no one swings em the same..

thats weird cause my driver is around 98, and my 6 iron is 88...its weird how people's ss changes so dramatically from club to club.

That is Smokin fast with an Iron..I envy you haha

Yet, even at 94mph, my shaft of choice is the DGS300 which debunks, once again, that you should choose your shaft stiffness based on swing speed alone. Swing speed is just one of many factors that you need to consider when choosing a shaft.

Yonex Ezone Type 380 | Tour Edge Exotics CB Pro | Miura 1957 Irons | Yururi Wedges | Scotty Cameron Super Rat | TaylorMade Penta

Yet, even at 94mph, my shaft of choice is the DGS300 which debunks, once again, that you should choose your shaft stiffness based on swing speed alone. Swing speed is just one of many factors that you need to consider when choosing a shaft.

Thats a great example.. This guy swings faster than me, but plays softer shafts than me.. its a very personal thing..

|Callaway FT-9 Tour Neutral 9.5 Diamana BlueBoard| TaylorMade TourLaunch 14.5 Matrix Ozik F7M2 X| Adams Idea Pro 20 Matrix Ozik Altus X| Mizuno MP-32 4-PW TTDG S300|Titleist Vokey 50| Tour Issue Titleist Black Ni Vokey SM 54|Callaway X Forged 62 || Kirk Currie Brazos| Callaway Tour IX/...

I could not agree more with this point. Thank God someone with your handicap is saying it, because nobody pays attention when a handi 8 like me says it...

My own experience with the Project X has been horrible. I had graphite stiff and felt soft, so I got a fitting before going to steel. I have 112 mph driver SS and 86 mph 6 iron SS. So the recommended stiff steel. I looked around and found a set with the project x 5.5, so i got them. It completely distructed my swing. I tried the same iron with a standard R300 and it improved dramatically. Just remember that you swing a lot slower in the course that at a range. You also subconciously speed up a little when you are being measured for SS (the gorilla-man factor...) There are tons of other things to consider beyond SS when selecting the proper shaft. I can only suggest trying them on the course, not only on the range, before buying them.

Please don´t swing while I´m talking !!

So does the 5.0 equal R flex, 5.5 stiff, 6.0 X-stiff etc? I never understood high end steel shafts like Project X and DG S300/X100 etc.

Please do research, if you were to go to the royal precision site,

There's a fitting chart, px shaft frequencies, and the SS and distance they fit are right here. http://www.royalprecision.com/precis..._projectx.html Check the bottom.

I could not agree more with this point. Thank God someone with your handicap is saying it, because nobody pays attention when a handi 8 like me says it...

For me it was a feel thing. I have extra stiff PING shafts in my i3's and have done just fine with them for years. When I got the ZM's though I tried the PX 5.5, S300 & X100 and found that I really preferred the feel of the S300. I had no problem loading the X100 and could have easily gone that route again but I had no real reason to. My shot pattern was just as tight with the S300 and I didn't have to be as aggressive to get my desired ball flight. Choosing a shaft is about so much more than swing speed. In fact there is a guy at my local club (2hcp last I asked) who has a 6 iron swing speed of 92mph and his shaft of choice is the R300! Based on swing speed alone, he should be swinging an X100.

In my irons, I like the softer shaft. My woods are another story (XS shafts in both). I believe that finding the right shaft is totally a trial & error type of event. Sure, start w/the swing speed chart and go from there but don't rely on it.

Yonex Ezone Type 380 | Tour Edge Exotics CB Pro | Miura 1957 Irons | Yururi Wedges | Scotty Cameron Super Rat | TaylorMade Penta

Frankly, I don't think the project X shafts are all that and a bag of chips. Don't get me wrong, they are a good option. But I would say go get fit by a club fitter, not a retail store that does fitting. That will be your best indicator of what shaft you should play. My son just got new irons and he ended up with DG SL Stiff. He was much more consistent with these. The latest and greatest is not always the best for you.

For me it was a feel thing. I have extra stiff PING shafts in my i3's and have done just fine with them for years. When I got the ZM's though I tried the PX 5.5, S300 & X100 and found that I really preferred the feel of the S300. I had no problem loading the X100 and could have easily gone that route again but I had no real reason to. My shot pattern was just as tight with the S300 and I didn't have to be as aggressive to get my desired ball flight. Choosing a shaft is about so much more than swing speed. In fact there is a guy at my local club (2hcp last I asked) who has a 6 iron swing speed of 92mph and his shaft of choice is the R300! Based on swing speed alone, he should be swinging an X100.

This is a perfect example of how everyone is different.

I tried out the DG 300/100 and PX 5.5/6.0 this past summer when I was looking for new clubs. For me the 300 and 5.5 were almost identical. I couldn't hit the 6.0 to save my life. I preferred the X-100 but for the opposite reasoning as above. I could have went 300/5.5 but I wanted to be able to play more aggresively. The X-100 allows me to be more aggressive without having to adjust anything. Plus my overall shot patter was better. The X-100 was the last shaft I tested, thinking that I had no chance of being able to hit it. Try as many different shafts as you can an choose the best one for you. If possible hit them on a range so you can see your ballflight rather than just hitting into a net.

I will judge my rounds much more by the quality of my best shots than the acceptability of my worse ones.

What you feel is not going to equate perfectly to how the two shafts measure out. For example, the DGS300 is roughly a 5.8 on the Rifle Scale. However, the Project X shaft has a much stiffer butt section than the S300, which is why people tend to feel like the 5.5 and S300 are roughly identical in flex although the s300 frequencies a touch stiffer.

Numbers are good to know, but nothing will be a better source than what you feel when you hit them. Best of luck!!!

Monster Tour 10.5* w/ Redboard 63
FP400f 14.5* w/ GD YSQ
Idea Pro 18* w/ VS Proto 80s
MP FLi-Hi 21 w/ S300
CG1 BP w/ PX 6.0 SM 54.11 SM 60.08 Sophia 33"

Note: This thread is 5605 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!