IGNORED

What do you think of the ONPAR GPS?

Note: This thread is 5308 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

http://www.onpargps.com/

Well, I just ordered one. Being in IT, I love gadgets, but I know better never to buy the first version of anything new, but couldnt help myself here...

My plan is to sell my SG5 which still has a subscription until Sept. on ebay if the ONPAR is all it's supposed to be. I will be playing in Myrtle Beach in two weeks and will post a review on this thread.

It looks pretty cool!

I looked at the courses and many of the Myrtle Beach tracks are listed as N/A.

What does that mean?

Also, I think the club selector feature make it "illegal" as per the current USGA rules? That may not be an issue for you, but don't let your buddies know about it if you win any bets.

Hi tech for sure. I have a feeling the GPS market is about to explode! Watch for lots of new devices, with oodles of features.

• 3 months later...
just came in today, and it seems really sweet! I love all the features. I have a Bushnell Medalist range finder that I never use because its a hassle. Im thinking this might be alot easier.

Anyone actually have any first hand experience with an onpar?

Driver: D2 - 10.5° - Fujikura Rombax 5X07
5 Wood: R9 - 19°
Irons: Taylor Made CB
Wedges: Vokey Oil Can 52°, 56°, 64°
Putter: Scotty Custom Studio Design  Balls: ProV1

I heard these onPar are run on windows (mobile OS) and prone to crashing, lag and all things related to MS windows.

It's basically a windows mobile device with a GPS chip overlaid with a GPS software. Not that great in my opinion.

Aside from that, limited available courses.

In my Edge and Atlas bag:
driver: FT-iQ 9R and Taylormade R9 460 10.5 R
wood: 5 Wood FT-iQ Neutral
hybrid(s): 3 Burner
irons: x22 3-PWwedges: Black Nickel Vokey 52/8, 56/11 & Oil Can 60/7 and Callaway x-Forge 56putter: Studio Style Newport 2 33" and Sabretooth 33"GPS RangeFinder: uPRORangeFinder....

well it has all my local courses, so that part of it doesnt seem to be a big deal at all. Now I havent played with it yet on the course, but I can view all the courses I loaded and zoom in, see distances, etc. and it seems to work good so far... Ill keep my fingers crossed.

Driver: D2 - 10.5° - Fujikura Rombax 5X07
5 Wood: R9 - 19°
Irons: Taylor Made CB
Wedges: Vokey Oil Can 52°, 56°, 64°
Putter: Scotty Custom Studio Design  Balls: ProV1

• 3 months later...
Has anyone else used/purchased this GPS device yet? I've used it for two rounds now, and I have to say I'm pretty impressed. It's definitely rough around the edges, and needs work in terms of interface and course database, but the stat tracking and shot tracking is pretty cool. Also, I've learned how incorrect some of the course posted yardages can be. 158 yard par three became a 119 from the tee placement today. Definitely helps the mental game, I find myself swinging more aggressively knowing how far I am, and how far (on average, based on shot tracking) I hit each club.

Biggest drawback is the course database. But, great potential.

Jason Allison
---------------
In my stand bag (which I carry on my OWN back):

10.5* Burner driver Burner 15* 3 wood Burner Rescue 19* Hybrid FP II irons, 4 thru GW No. 588 56* Sand and 60* Lob wedges White Hot XG Tour Rossie Putter NXT Tour ballsOnPar GPS deviceAnd ALL my shafts are stiff.

Note: This thread is 5308 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!