IGNORED

cutting down my driver shaft

Note: This thread is 5518 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

hey all

i want to have my 905r regripped and i think i am going to cut it down. i am just wondering if there is anything i need to worry about.

it is a 76g stiff flex v2 if that matters

is there a length i shouldnt cut off? i want to about an inch
and can i do it myself? or should i have golf galaxy do it

if there is anything i am overlooking, please let me know

Burner 9.5 '09/905R 9.5 V2 HL
906F2 15 75g NV Stiff
735 3 - PW S300
MP R 52.07, 58.12 S300
Original Karsten B60 Hoofer 2

If you've never cut a graphite shaft, I'd let someone who has some experience take care of it for you. And be aware that you are "probably" going to change the swingweight to a lighter swingweight (maybe 1-2 points).

hey all

Cutting it down will make the shaft play stiffer...I'm not sure by how much though. Swingweight will also be affected. I think about -6 for an inch.

When you cut a graphite shaft, make sure you have the correct hand-saw blade. You cannot use a pipecutter like you would with a steel shaft. If you use a hand-saw blade that isn't meant for this kind of stuff, the graphite fibers might start to come undone. If you've never done it before or don't want to go through the trouble, I'd suggest that G.G. do it for you.

In my Ogio Ozone Bag:
TM Superquad 9.5* UST Proforce 77g Stiff
15* Sonartec SS-2.5 (Pershing stiff)
19* TM Burner (stock stiff)
4-U - PING i10 White dot, +1.25 inches, ZZ65 stiff shafts55*/11* Snake Eyes Form Forged (DGS300)60*/12* Snake Eyes Form Forged (DGS300)Ping i10 1/2 MoonTitleist ProV1

i thought i might change swingweights...i will be able to adjust to 1-2 points

im going to call the local golf galaxy and see if they will be able to take care of it

906F2 15 75g NV Stiff
735 3 - PW S300
MP R 52.07, 58.12 S300

Cutting it down will make the shaft play stiffer...I'm not sure by how much though. Swingweight will also be affected. I think about -6 for an inch.

Actually, cutting an inch off the butt won't change the flex or playability at all.

But you are correct about the swingweight change. Removing one inch will probably cost you 5 or 6 swingweight points....and that's a BUNCH. The only way to gain this back is to add weight to the clubhead. (I was thinking previously about something else) Rule of thumb: Every 1/2" cut from a club reduces the swingweight by approx 3 points. So cutting an inch off will cost you about 6 swingweight points. Every 2 grams added to the head on a graphite-shafted driver gains approx one swingweight point. So to gain back those 6 points, you would need to add 12g to the head. Now here's the problem .......Adding 8-12 grams back to the clubhead will probably dramatically effect the flex of the shaft. It could actually cause a stiff to play like a regular. This is something that you definitely need to consider. Ever thought about just gripping down like Anthony Kim?

Every 2 grams added to the head on a graphite-shafted driver gains approx one swingweight point. So to gain back those 6 points, you would need to add 12g to the head.

The OP could also put a really light grip on. It's like every -4 grams will cause +1 SW. As Hidalgo said, gripping down could work just as well...less complicated IMO anyway.

In my Ogio Ozone Bag:
TM Superquad 9.5* UST Proforce 77g Stiff
15* Sonartec SS-2.5 (Pershing stiff)
19* TM Burner (stock stiff)
4-U - PING i10 White dot, +1.25 inches, ZZ65 stiff shafts55*/11* Snake Eyes Form Forged (DGS300)60*/12* Snake Eyes Form Forged (DGS300)Ping i10 1/2 MoonTitleist ProV1

I think that i will just grip down because it sounds like i would rather not get into changing swingweights a lot

thanks for the help

906F2 15 75g NV Stiff
735 3 - PW S300
MP R 52.07, 58.12 S300

Stiffer and Shorter

Chris Nunes,17 yrs old

In My Bag:
Woods:Nike Sasquatch Tour Model (Driver), Nike Sumo 3 wood
Irons: Callaway X-Forged (Project X 6.0)Wedge: Callaway C Grind 58 degree,Titleist Volkey 54 degree (oil can)Putter Cleveland Classic 2 or Scotty Cameron Santa Fe teryllium "Everyday you miss practicing it...

1. You don't use a saw blade at all. You use a "blade" that looks like a string with abrasive attached to it. I would recommend you pay the extra money to have it done by someone else.

2. Why do you want to cut it down? There has been a trend recently with people cutting down their drivers an inch to gain accuracy. If so, then it is probably worth it. There really is a limit on how long you can make a club before it becomes impossible to hit the ball consistently with it. I think we are pretty close to that with modern drivers.

Instight XTD A30S Driver 10.5° ($69 new ebay)
Instight XTD A3OS Fairway Wood 15° ($45 new ebay)
Fybrid 19.5° ($35 new ebay)
Ci7 4-GW ($175 new Rock Bottom Golf via ebay)
53° & 58° 8620 DD wedges ($75 each new PGA Superstore) C2-DF ($35 new Rock Bottom Golf) Riley TT stand bag ($7 n...

I just took my Nike Sumo 5900 driver in to put a new shaft in. I had a stiff shaft but switched to a regular shaft. I think the original shaft is 45 3/4".....but the guy there told me I would have more control if it was cut down to 45".....so I said sounds good to me.

In my clicgear.gif 2.0 Push Cart and callaway.gifgolf bag are - 

Z-Star driver 10.5  Mashie 3 and 7 metals  Mashie 4 hyrbird  Z-Star 4-PW Irons  cleveland.gifCG Black 48, 52, 56 degree wedges  GoLo putter  upro mx+ gps

I play my driver gripped down about an inch for any normal drive but when I want to just let it loose I just take a normal grip and let it go. Not cutting it down gives me options. It's totally up to you though... either cut it down and have to replace the shaft if you hate it or just grip down for a few rounds and see what results you achieve.

Driver: Titleist 907D2 9.5 Stiff
Hybrid: Adams Pro Black 18*
Irons: Mizuno MP60 (4-PW)
Wedges: Vokey SM 50/54/58/62
Putter: Yes! CallieBall: TM PentaHome course: DeBell Golf Club http://www.debellgolf.com/

Note: This thread is 5518 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!