IGNORED

Back Stretches for back pain

Finn07
Note: This thread is 6582 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Any of you guys out there with bad back pain that play? What do you guys do for it? ie. stretching, yoga, weights etc....

Ive been doing some yoga and stretching and its been working, putting icy hot on the back also before i go out there helps.
Driver-Taylor Made R7 460cc 10.5* Fujikara REAX Stiff
Fairway Wood-Taylor Made R7 Draw 15* Fujikara REAX Stiff
Hybrid Taylor Made 19* Rescue Mid Steel Stiff
4-PW-Golfsmith G40 TT Lite XL Stiff
GW-Ben Hogan Riviera 8* Bounce 50*SW-Ben Hogan Riviera Medium Bounce 56*LW-Cleveland 60* 588 ChromePutter-Taylo...

I'm actually pretty much a wreck...I mostly just eat ibuprofen like freaking M&Ms; and otherwise ignore the pain.

I find that stretching out under a hot shower helps a bit.

"My swing is so bad I look like a caveman killing his lunch." ~Lee Trevino

Currently playing Maltby C.E.R. 701u

Build your own...Total cost of my complete set of golf clubs: 500 bucks.Beating a guy who sports a $2000 bag of : priceless.

Any of you guys out there with bad back pain that play? What do you guys do for it? ie. stretching, yoga, weights etc....

What type of pain are you having...the location..more like a muscle, sciatica, upper or lower back? Is it stabbing, dull or an ache?

The equipment is there...I'm not!
Driver- Callaway X460 HT
3Wood- Callaway X460 15*
Hybrids- Nike CPR 18*
Adams Idea 21*Adams Idea 25*Nike CPR 30*Irons 7-SW- Adama IdeaLob Wedge- Cleveland 588 ChromePutter- Nike T100 Oz Blue ChipBall- Best deal I can find on a reputable soft ball

Its lower back pain and my doctor said it was due to Degenerative Disc Disease after looking at an MRI about a year ago. Its not so much when I walk but when I attempt to bend down I get a sharp pain in the lower part of the back. Stretching does relieve it a little bit. Bought a new mattress which I am not a big fan of, too soft for me I think. I have been sleeping on my back and that has helped a little as well.
GW-Ben Hogan Riviera 8* Bounce 50*SW-Ben Hogan Riviera Medium Bounce 56*LW-Cleveland 60* 588 ChromePutter-Taylo...

Finn,

I'm an Exercise Physiologist and I see a lot of people with back problems. I also have a vertebrae that like to get itself out of position every now and then. You need to look at it from two directions. Treatment and prevention.

Treatment is going to help you feel better now. If there is some degeneration you are losing space between the vertebrae and this is causing the nerves to be irritated and possibly pinched. In the case of inflamation, you can take Motrin, Alleve, etc.. You can also use Ice to bring down to inflamation. Here's where it gets tricky. If the pain is due to muscle spasms, then ice can make it worse. If the pain is due to swelling then heat will make it worse.

Prevention: Stretching and yoga are extremely important to your long term back health. Also, doing regular strength work for your abdominals. Try to do crunches 2-3 times each week. Lay flat on your back with your knees bent to 90 degrees. Cross your arms on your chest and then by contracting your abs, roll your shoulders and upper back off the floor. You should only come up about 1/2 way. This will keep the pressure off your back. Also, drink lots of water. Try to dink 1/2 your ideal body weight in fluid ounces daily. Example 200 lb male should drink 100 oz daily.
Driver: 9.5° 905R Stiff Aldila NV 65
3 Wood: 15.° Pro Trajectory 906F4 Stiff Aldila VS Proto Blue
Hybrid: 19.0° 503 H Stiff Dynamic Gold S400
Hybrid: 21.0° Edge C.F.T. Ti Stiff Aldila NVS
Irons: 775cb 4-GW w/S300 Sand Wedge: Vokey 58° Puttter: Laguna Mid-Slant Pro PlatinumBall: ProV1Bag: Li...

Geeze, you poor guy. You sound miserable. I have had sciatic for years and a few months ago all of the sudden I started to get this horrible bilateral leg pain. I could not sleep etc. Since I am finishing up with school I did not have any insurance. I went to see a Chiropractor. At first I was there 2 times a week now it is just one. He thinks I have Arthritic changes in the facets (kind of side of vertebra were the nerve for the legs comes out of the spine at L5) When I get my benefits again in a couple of weeks he is going to get Xrays. Anyway the guy saved my life, I got a new mattress (love it) and I still feel it ,but it is not enough to keep me from working part-time or better yet golfing.
Have you considered seeing one? It might be contraindicated in your situation because what you have is different. A chiropractor may not want to touch you. But they really are not to pricey. I am a student and I am paying cash. I also have had acupuncture done. Ask your doctor if taking glucosamine/chondroiton supplements might help you. Might not though. And they take a few months to kick in.
Yoga sounds great for you, but never stretch through the resistance or pain. It could just get worse. Here is the catch 22 of the whole deal....you want to keep moving and do as much range of motion as possible. NSAIDS (ibuprofen) the max you can take is 800mg three times a day. And that is the max . Otherwise it can do nasty stuff to your stomach and kidneys. Lots of water and take with food. But you don't want to have to take that for a long time, it can wipe out your kidneys. Have you seen your doctor lately?There are more invasive treatments for cases as bad as yours...such as surgery.Maybe a spinal fusion of the effected areas. Don't get nervous. It's done all the time! And eventually you could be out there spanking that Ben Hogan Apex Tour!
Good luck to you
Brandi
Check this out http://www.spine-health.com/topics/c...g/degen01.html

The equipment is there...I'm not!
Driver- Callaway X460 HT
3Wood- Callaway X460 15*
Hybrids- Nike CPR 18*
Adams Idea 21*Adams Idea 25*Nike CPR 30*Irons 7-SW- Adama IdeaLob Wedge- Cleveland 588 ChromePutter- Nike T100 Oz Blue ChipBall- Best deal I can find on a reputable soft ball

Thanks to the both of you for your nice response. Brandi so far its kept me from playing golf only twice this year, which isnt too bad. If my tee time is in the afternoon im alright, in the morning then its a game time decision. As for seeing a doctor I saw a chiropractor this morning and he did some spinal decompression which felt real good, took alot of pressure off of my back it feels like. As for working out and things like that, he pretty much mimiced what JeepThrills said. Im gonna be seeing him regularly so everything should work out. Thanks again.

Note: This thread is 6582 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!