IGNORED

Bigger Ball = Solution to "Distance Problem"

Note: This thread is 6585 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator

David Feherty was asked what he would do about technology if he were Commissioner for a day.

"I would change the size of the ball. I'd make it .02 bigger. With one fell swoop you would cure a bunch of problems. The ball wouldn't go as far. It would spin. It would be harder to hit straight. It would be harder to hit far. It would be very slightly harder to get in the hole. On the upside you'd bring a lot of old courses back into relevance. It also sits up nicely around the greens. The amateur player has more fun playing with it. I grew up with the 1.62 (ball) and I remember changing to the 1.68 and thinking, wow, this is so much more fun playing with this ball. For the high handicapper, those shots around the greens are difficult. When the ball is a little bigger, it makes such a difference. There's more of it to get underneath.We've done it once before. I don't see a reason not to do it again"

Of course, the commissioner of the PGA Tour can't exactly change the rules, which are handled by the USGA... but if there was a distance problem (I still don't think there is), this seems like it might be an adequate step. But it might take more than 0.02"...

Plus, the Top-Flite Magnas, they were touted as being anti-hook and anti-slice and also easier to putt, weren't they???? Seems kinda contrary to what he's saying (not that I believe Top-Flite marketing either... but those balls did not go as far, he's right about that).

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 6585 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!