IGNORED

R7 vs. R7 HT vs. R7 425

Note: This thread is 6585 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hi all,

I currently have the original r7 quad 10.5 with a Aldila NV65 -S shaft. I am a high handicapper now but steadily improving. On occasion, I still slice, but not terribly. I am thinking about upgrading to either the HT to get more loft or the r7 425. Any advice?

In my bag:

TaylorMade R7 Superquad - 11.5 deg - Diamana Whiteboard 63-S
Tour Edge Exotics - CB2 16 deg - Diamana Redboard 73-S
Taylormade V-Steel 24 deg - Diamana Redboard 83-STaylorMade R7 XD - 5i-AW Project X 6.552 deg Miura Forged Raw56 deg Fourteen MT-28/56V3 60 deg - Fourteen MT-28/60V2 P...

need more info before I could really help. 10.5^ and you need more loft? Slice on occasion but what are the rest like? swing speed?

Do you want to change because of loft, slice, distance? seems like you might want to just change your hand position and your ball at adress.
IN THE BAG

Driver: R580 W/ Fujikura VistaPro Eighty S Flex
Woods: 15* 300 series R80
Irons: TaylorMade RAC LT T Step Professional 110-gram steel RegularWedge: TP Rac Black Y Cutter 52/8 56/12Putter: Nubbins M2Ball: Bridgestone e5Course: League @ Bedford Hills

My swing speed is 94 mph. I have a somewhat "heavy" swing right now which I working to correct. I am decently satisfied with my distance (245-250). I don't think I need to change the loft. I currently have 2 2g's on the toe and a 8gm front heel and 10g back heel. I was wondering if I should add more weight to the back heel.

Also, I was thinking about changing my shaft from the Aldila NV65-S to the Aldila NV85-X. I think this will help with my swing.

My curiosity with the HT and the 425 has more to do with exploring something new and possibly adding 15-20 yards to my drive. I heard the HT has more spin. Will this make my occasional slice worse?

In my bag:

TaylorMade R7 Superquad - 11.5 deg - Diamana Whiteboard 63-S
Tour Edge Exotics - CB2 16 deg - Diamana Redboard 73-S
Taylormade V-Steel 24 deg - Diamana Redboard 83-STaylorMade R7 XD - 5i-AW Project X 6.552 deg Miura Forged Raw56 deg Fourteen MT-28/56V3 60 deg - Fourteen MT-28/60V2 P...

My swing speed is 94 mph. I have a somewhat "heavy" swing right now which I working to correct. I am decently satisfied with my distance (245-250). I don't think I need to change the loft. I currently have 2 2g's on the toe and a 8gm front heel and 10g back heel. I was wondering if I should add more weight to the back heel.

From personal experience, when the shaft is too stiff, I slice (can't get the head square). Perhaps looking the other way (Regular flex) may be in order. Also the recommended swing speed for the NV-85X is 110-120. I don't know much about the R7 HT but Dave Koster wrote a great review about the R7 425/460 (check the Reviews section of the website).

Alan Olson

Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!
Check out our Facebook page!

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Hi all,

Personally I think you're best off sticking with what you have and spending the money on a quality lesson or two. Being a high handicapper you're swing will change and morph into a more repeatable and consistant swing.

If you must change equipment, I don't forsee a big difference in shots by going with the HT or the 425 since they are all very similar. You will see more difference with a shaft change. If you're looking for more loft you could effectively do that by switching to a shaft with a lower kick point than your NV, if you like the feel of the NV then try the NVS. There are several other shafts in the market that could benefit your ball flight and accuracy but you need to get fitted in person. Since we can't see your swing it's really hard to suggest a specific model. Just out of curiosity why or who told you a heavier and stiffer shaft would be better for you? Switching to the 85X I feel will only enhance your problems and not aid them.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

You should keep your driver because the distance is fine off the r7. If y ou want more distance why don't you try to swing more lose and take a 4 inches back so your arms are hanging out a little more, this causes a draw and a consistent shot. Also, if your an agressive player, you should try to stand a little taller,and try to keep the left arm straight during the downswing so you can release. I think the most important part with the driver is the grip. You should have a solid grip more than a solid driver.

Note: This thread is 6585 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!