IGNORED

Quitting Smoking

neudi
Note: This thread is 3659 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I'm on day 23 today and have not smoked a single cigarette. I am going between a patch and nothing and have been without a patch for 2 and a half days. If I know its' going to be a rough day or somehting is going to temp me I put a patch on for the day. Slowly but surely I am quitting.

I hear ya. I'm on day 5 now. I made it through 4 days and 2 of those were tournament days. I didn’t snap or throw any clubs but man could I have lighted up easily. I could smell someone lighting up on the other side of the course.

The tournament had little gift bags at the door for all the players filled with candy and crappy golf balls and stuff like that, not so bad apart from the FREE CIGARS they were handing out....... bastards But I just pretended I didn’t hear the offer and kept walking, not easy.
Driver - TaylorMade R9 460 10.5°
3 Wood - TaylotMade Burner Tour
3 & 4 Hybrids - Adams a7
Irons - R7 tp 5-PW
Wedges - Vokey SM Black Nickel - 52º - 56º - 60ºPutter - Scotty Cameron California - SonomaSkyCaddie - SG4Lowest Round - 68 - Par 72 /67.6/120Lowest Tournament Round - 69 -...

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Any tobacco chewers out there that have quit? I'm trying to quit but I'm not too successful on the golf course. I won't chew after the round, actually throw away the rest of pack but will buy again on the way to the golf course. playing golf a few times a week, I should quit kidding myself and not try to quit.

Wondering if the patch would be effective for a chew addiction.

Smile, it makes people wonder what you're up to...

Nike Sasquatch 460 10.5 degree driver Diamana shaft
MP-57 3-pw DG R300 shafts
MX700 Hybrid Cleveland CG14 50 degree wedge Nike SV 56 degree wedgeReid Lockhart 56 degree sandwedge (plays like a 60 degree, hence the two 56 degree wedges) Odyssey...

I'm only 17, but I've actually never smoked in my entire life. I've never really seen what people get out of it, honestly. I think it smells horrible, it's terrible for your health, and it just becomes a waste of money after a while.

would you believe that cigs used to come in every C-ration meal? yep... 4 cigs in a pack...matches too !! they were about 30 years old and hard as rocks...

when you're young, and 7000 miles from home, you may find yourself doing un-normal things.... that's where I started smoking, and it really wasn't THAT hard to quit....ate fireballs to keep my mouth "busy"....some use other candies, but fireballs worked for me....we won't talk about what the sugar coulda done...

Today is my 8th day smoke free!!! Its getting easier..... sometimes I go 10 minutes without thinking about it
3 & 4 Hybrids - Adams a7
Irons - R7 tp 5-PW
Wedges - Vokey SM Black Nickel - 52º - 56º - 60ºPutter - Scotty Cameron California - SonomaSkyCaddie - SG4Lowest Round - 68 - Par 72 /67.6/120Lowest Tournament Round - 69 -...

Walked nine today with out a chew. Tough. Been 3 days. Did have a cigar after dinner though. Don't know why I tell myself that cigars aren't as bad. Perhaps because I don't inhale... Oh well...

Smile, it makes people wonder what you're up to...

Nike Sasquatch 460 10.5 degree driver Diamana shaft
MP-57 3-pw DG R300 shafts
MX700 Hybrid Cleveland CG14 50 degree wedge Nike SV 56 degree wedgeReid Lockhart 56 degree sandwedge (plays like a 60 degree, hence the two 56 degree wedges) Odyssey...

Here is the thing about quitting, for me anyway. I chewed for a lot of years. I am 34 now, started in the 4th grade. Chewed most (95%) of those years. I quit once about 8 years ago for 2 years - 2 years with out any tobacco. One chew after hitting the bars and I was back full time. I quit Jan. 1, 2009 - for good. If you want to quit here is the secret.
1. You have to want to quit for you, not for anyone or for anything else.
2. You can not quit tobacco by using other forms of your favorite.
3. Tell everybody that you quit and not to let you bum.
4. Next to #1, the most important, Do Not Buy Any Tobacco.

What I Play
905T 9.5 NV65
AP1 3-W
56deg
Studio Select - Newport 2 34" e6+ Studio Design 2 - in the barn for now

2 days with no smoking although I did vomit this morning when I had the patch on for about 30 minutes, but felt better after that.

congrats man- please stick with it! smoking will shorten your life and make the quality of your life a LOT worse when your older

keep up the good work!

driver: taylormade r7 superquad
woods: taylormade r7 tp 3 wood, r7 steel 4 wood, hybrid 2
irons: taylormade rac lt
wedges: taylormade tp
putter: scotty cameron santa fe

I am now 28 days smoke free, and I am 6 days patch free. It is still very difficult, but I feel like I am able to breath much easier. Plus I am about to start p90x, life changes are hard. :)
What's In The Bag?

Driver - Rapture 10.5 Epic 68g X-Pure - Balance Certified
Fairway Metal - Titleist PT 18°
Irons - Mizuno MP-67 3-PW Project X 6.0 Wedges - Mizunos R Series Chrome 52°, 56°, 58° Project X 6.0 Putter - Yes! C-Groove Callie-f - Balance Certified Bag - Ping Freestyle...

I am now 28 days smoke free, and I am 6 days patch free. It is still very difficult, but I feel like I am able to breath much easier. Plus I am about to start p90x, life changes are hard. :)

have you gained any weight?

3 & 4 Hybrids - Adams a7
Irons - R7 tp 5-PW

No I have not and to keep it that way I am starting P90x on Wednesday. :) 30 days smoke free.
What's In The Bag?

Irons - Mizuno MP-67 3-PW Project X 6.0 Wedges - Mizunos R Series Chrome 52°, 56°, 58° Project X 6.0 Putter - Yes! C-Groove Callie-f - Balance Certified Bag - Ping Freestyle...

I'm only 17, but I've actually never smoked in my entire life. I've never really seen what people get out of it, honestly. I think it smells horrible, it's terrible for your health, and it just becomes a waste of money after a while.

That's funny; I could've sworn I was just about to post that.

-Rich

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

31 days smoke free, 10 without the patch. I'm starting to get used to playing without the addiction. I want to congratulate everyone who is trying to quit as well. Did not start this thread to make it a help thread, but that is what it seems to be turning into and I'm glad it did. Good luck all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
What's In The Bag?

Thanks for starting the thread!!! I had the Chantix just sitting there but only started taking them after reading this.

I'm on day 12 smoke free now..... 4lbs heavier than before but we'll get to that later. Every day is a little easier than the last.

Good luck to everyone else thats trying to quit!!!!
3 & 4 Hybrids - Adams a7
Irons - R7 tp 5-PW

my brother-in-law quite cold turkey but he says that he still thinks about smoking.

I hope you are successful quiting smoking, when you are older you will be glad especially if you can enjoy watch your grand kids playing golf, or better yet you are making a foursome with your kid and your grand kids.

Long life to everyone

Titleist 910 D2 9.5 Driver
Titleist 910 F15 & 21 degree fairway wood
Titleist 910 hybrid 24 degree
Mizuno Mp33 5 - PW
52/1056/1160/5

"Yonex ADX Blade putter, odyssey two ball blade putter, both  33"

ProV-1

my brother-in-law quite cold turkey but he says that he still thinks about smoking.

Not a day goes by when I don't think about smoking, but then I think about the 34 days that I have not smoked and realize that it is not worth it. I can only hope to play golf with my grandkids. You really don't realize how important it is to play golf with your dad until you get to be older and then you realize how much of an idiot you were when you played with him before. Wish I could go back and enjoy every round with my pops, but luckily I can still play with him and enjoy the present and future. Starting P90x today, 34 days smoke free, 12 without the patch.
What's In The Bag?

Keep up the battle. You can WIN. The benefits will be felt soon....and later on.

Been smoke free for several years and not a week goes by that I'm not grateful for stopping.

Keep at it. It can be done and is a worthwhile effort.

Stay the course.
909D Comp 9.5* (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-6)
Burner Superfast 3 & 5 woods (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-4.8)
G15 Hybrid 23* (AWT shaft)
G5 5 iron-PW-46*, UW-50*, SW-54 & LW-58 (AWT shaft)
Studio Select Newport 2 Mid SlantGrips: PING cords & Golf Pride New Decade Multi-Coumpound Bag: C-130...

Note: This thread is 3659 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!