IGNORED

The Mental Game?

denver_nuggs_15
Note: This thread is 5514 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

What is so difficult about it? I really don't understand.
Before my shot, I think about the risk/reward, distance (wind, lie, etc.), where I want my potential miss to go (basically playing a draw vs. fade or when in between clubs), and how all of this will affect my next shot. Is that it, or is there more that I'm missing? It seems relatively simple, but so many people have issues with it that I know it can't be easy. What am I missing?

In my Ogio Ozone Bag:
TM Superquad 9.5* UST Proforce 77g Stiff
15* Sonartec SS-2.5 (Pershing stiff)
19* TM Burner (stock stiff)
4-U - PING i10 White dot, +1.25 inches, ZZ65 stiff shafts55*/11* Snake Eyes Form Forged (DGS300)60*/12* Snake Eyes Form Forged (DGS300)Ping i10 1/2 MoonTitleist ProV1

If you're doing those things then you're not missing anything. For some of us we're thinking about the shot we just made not the shot we're about to make and that doesn't work so well.

I also consider the topic of course management as part of the mental game. When you throw that into the mix, it's about a lot more than just committing to a shot and letting it rip.

Yonex Ezone Type 380 | Tour Edge Exotics CB Pro | Miura 1957 Irons | Yururi Wedges | Scotty Cameron Super Rat | TaylorMade Penta

If you're doing those things then you're not missing anything. For some of us we're thinking about the shot we just made not the shot we're about to make and that doesn't work so well.

i think thats EXACTLY what it is. a lot of people cant get that last bad shot out of their head and it ends up costing them the entire round. i know its easier said than done, but if you hit a bad shot, forget about it, and concentrate on the next shot

There's also things like dealing with pressure and not putting unnecessary pressure on yourself. A lot of the mental game is to do with things outside the shot at hand, be they distractions or thinking about what you've just done or want to do next. As others have said it's dealing with those outside things that are the difficult part of the mental game for many players. If you have no problem with that then consider yourself lucky.

What is so difficult about it? I really don't understand.

That's the physical side nailed down.

The mental part comes with trying to "see" everything happen before you do it, to make it easy to do. Of course I just hit my 3 iron to a pin tucked on a green guarded by deep bunkers of a 230y par 3. I just saw it happen in my head. I caught a glimpse of Stewart Cink's Playing Lessons with the Pros last night and the part I saw he was talking about not playing golf to shoot low numbers, but to play shots. You make your shots, you score automatically. See it happen, it will happen. nnnanananaaaaaaa

Callaway RazrFit Extreme 9.5 w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XHot Pro 15* 3Wood w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XTour 18* 2h w/S300
Callaway XHot Pro 4/5 irons w/S300
Callaway XForged III 5-PW irons w/S300
Callaway Forged 52*/58* Wedges
Odyssey 7 Versa 90
Callaway Hex Black Tour

in match play or skins, the mental game is even more important! almost to the point of psychological

:P
In the bag Nike SasQuatch SuMo 10.5* {} Tiger Shark Hammerhead 3w, 5w, 3h {} Nickent 3DX Pro 5i-PW {} Titleist Vokey 250.08* {} Cleveland CG11. 54* {} Callaway X-Tour 58.11* {} Carbite Tour Classic Putter {} Titleist ProV1x

hell, a caddy can give u a distance, explain the wind or tell u what club to hit. your swing starts in your head.

In my Bag:

Tour Burner 9.5* ProLaunch Red Shaft
Baffler TWS & DWS Hybrids: 2,4
Irons: 09 Burners 4-AWWC Liquid Copper SW 56*WC Liquid Copper LW 60*Putter: Black OZ T130 TP Black

I think the "mental" part of golf is different for everyone. Especially different for high handicappers vs. low handicappers. For me its not course management at all. The mental part of the game is negative thoughts. If there is out of bounds left and water right I sometimes only think of where not to hit it, instead of picking a line and hitting it. Golf is all about confidence for me. Here an example....some holes set up perfect for me visually and I rarely hit a bad tee shot on those holes. Some dont look so appealing and those are the holes where I hit most of my bad shots. Both can have the same width fairways and no more hazards but the one that visually looks harder is much more difficult....even thought it isnt in reality. Thats all mental for me. If I can eliminate negative thoughts I play much better.

909 D3 with Diamana White X
909 F3 15degree with Aldila Vodoo
ZM Forged 2-PW
Voley 56 and 60
Studio Newport 1.5 PRo V1X

I think the "mental" part of golf is different for everyone. Especially different for high handicappers vs. low handicappers. For me its not course management at all. The mental part of the game is negative thoughts. If there is out of bounds left and water right I sometimes only think of where not to hit it, instead of picking a line and hitting it. Golf is all about confidence for me. Here an example....some holes set up perfect for me visually and I rarely hit a bad tee shot on those holes. Some dont look so appealing and those are the holes where I hit most of my bad shots. Both can have the same width fairways and no more hazards but the one that visually looks harder is much more difficult....even thought it isnt in reality. Thats all mental for me. If I can eliminate negative thoughts I play much better.

Find your

Happy place ;) Sometimes when I'm on an unfamiliar course (or a hole I simply don't like), I try to imagine a similarly structured hole that I DO LIKE from my home course - dogleg right holes, hazards in front of the green, etc. Then swing thinking that's the hole I'm playing. It really helps me keep the negative thoughts out of my head.

:P
In the bag Nike SasQuatch SuMo 10.5* {} Tiger Shark Hammerhead 3w, 5w, 3h {} Nickent 3DX Pro 5i-PW {} Titleist Vokey 250.08* {} Cleveland CG11. 54* {} Callaway X-Tour 58.11* {} Carbite Tour Classic Putter {} Titleist ProV1x

Note: This thread is 5514 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!