IGNORED

How to find other players in my area?

dkbmusic
Note: This thread is 5514 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hey Guys,

I'd like to find a regular group of golfers to play with. Problem is I don't know any one that wants to or can play regularly (2-4 times per month). And the people I find will need to be patient, because I still suck (shoot around 115 currently).

Any ideas on how to find good partners to play with regularly in my area?

Go play. Meet people. Get phone numbers. Don't be shy. Most golfers like to play golf, regardless of who it's with.

driver: FT-i tlcg 9.5˚ (Matrix Ozik XCONN Stiff)
4 wood: G10 (ProLaunch Red FW stiff)
3 -PW: :Titleist: 695 mb (Rifle flighted 6.0)
wedges:, 52˚, 56˚, 60˚
putter: Studio Select Newport 1.5

Go play. Meet people. Get phone numbers. Don't be shy. Most golfers like to play golf, regardless of who it's with.

Very true.

Callaway RazrFit Extreme 9.5 w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XHot Pro 15* 3Wood w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XTour 18* 2h w/S300
Callaway XHot Pro 4/5 irons w/S300
Callaway XForged III 5-PW irons w/S300
Callaway Forged 52*/58* Wedges
Odyssey 7 Versa 90
Callaway Hex Black Tour

yea, pretty good advice up there. Just show up to your course as a single and wait to be paired up with other people. Easiest way to meet people, and really great people at that.

Play as a single.

Yesterday I played 18 with a couple friends, and a single joined up with us on the back nine. Ended up being a cool guy, and at the end exchanged numbers, and will probably play golf with him sometime soon. Thats really all it takes! I know you must be a little nervous since you are scoring about 115, but as long as you dont take forever, no one will have any reason to give you a hard time.

Bag: Cheapo
Driver:983K
Woods: Steelhead
Irons-PW: X-12
SW: 56* CG14LW: 60* CG14Putter:Craz-E "I Series"BallNY, NY"Chinch Bugs"

Yup, everyone here's got it right. Golfers hang out at golf courses. Just get out there and have some fun and you'll meet plenty of people.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Join a League!

Example: Our league (and many around here) is starting tomorrow. We have 2 open slots. Call the courses you like now and let them know what days you would be available.

Lots of benefits of league play, meeting new players is one at the top. I play lots of other rounds and events with guys I've met in and through my league.

Golfers know golfers.

Also, golf stores and golf sections in sporting goods stores can be a good place to meet other golfers. Talk to people you work with, go to church with or people that you might not even think play - you'd be surprised how many people are in the same boat as you.

When I took the game back up a few years ago I knew no one in the area that played golf, but I just started to play by myself. However, as I started to play more some of the 'casual' golfers among my friends began playing more because they also didn't have anyone to play with. A couple other friends took the game up as well. Now I have probably 15-18 people I could call for golf at any time from among work people and friend's friends and my own friends. Sometimes I feel bad for some of the guys because I am not able to play with them enough and they won't play without me.
Driver: SQ DYMO STR8-Fit
4 Wood: SQ DYMO
2H (17*), 4H (23*) & 5H (26*): Fli-Hi CLK
Irons (5-6): MX-900; (7-PW): MP-60
Wedges (51/6*): MP-T Chrome; (56/13): MP-R ChromePutter: White Hot XG 2-Ball CSPreferred Ball: e5+/e7+/B330-RXGPS Unit: NEOPush Cart: 2.0

Meeting live is the best way, but virtually, try meetup.com.

Have seen people meet at the range and sharing a cab/ride (for those who live in big cities and/or don't own a car).

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I have the same dilemma. I have friends who enjoy playing golf, but none of them really have it in them like I do. Most of them are only good for a round or two a month, others won't play if it's windy, a little cold, a little rainy, whatever. More ofthen than not, they blame their wives. My most reliable golf buddy just joined a Club (about 5K annually after dues, assements, and restaurant/proshop minimums). Guest fee is $75, and although it's a nice course, I can do better publicly for less money.

I'm probably going to break down and join a league. I've tried playing as a single, and had at best mixed experiences. When you get paired up as a twosome, even if it's not an ideal match with the other two guys, at least you've got your buddy with you.

At best my experience as a single has been a mix of good, bad, and indifference. On a cold November morning I got paired up with a couple of old hippies, and had the time of my life. On another day I got paired up with a guy who I think was in his late 90s. He introduced himself by saying "My name is Ed, Ed Muth. How do you think you spell Muth?" Unprepared for the question, I fired back with M-O-O-T-H. Disgusted, he proceeded to berate me for the misspelling (after all, I wouldn't spell Ruth R-O-O-T-H), so why would do him the indignity of spelling Muth with a pair of Os?

It got worse from there. Ever since I've been gunshy about heading out as a single. On those days when I can't find anyone else to get out on the course with, I'll either hit the range, or wait until later in the day when I can walk the course alone.

Hope you have better luck...

My Website: Qwowi Golf

In my Atlas Bag:
Driver: R7 SuperQuad 9.5° VS Proto 65-S
3+ Wood: G10 4 Wood: G10 Hybrid: 585H VS Proto 80-SIrons: X-20 Tour 5-PWGap Wedge: Vokey 200 Series 52°Sand Wedge: Vokey Spin Milled 56°Lob Wedge: Vokey Spin Milled 60°Putter: Bettinardi BC1

Thank you all for the great replies. It sounds like I just need to see what fortune has in store for me and go to the course to see who shows up! I'll give it a shot. Thanks!

Note: This thread is 5514 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!