IGNORED

Contests at The Range

Enthusiast
Note: This thread is 5506 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Anybody else every get into hitting competitions at the range?

We usually get looked at funny when we show up after work in tee shirts and sandals with our mismash set of clubs.

Most of the time, when we actually start hitting the cranky golfers kinda come around and keep to themselves.

My buddy is an excellent driver and he now likes to find the people who are laughing and making fun of the people who are trying to learn or that arent hitting that well and challenge them to contests.

Can lead to some very comical situations, when some snob with over 1k of clubs in his bag gets out hit by some goof in sandals.

Disclaimer: not saying that everyone with nice clubs is a snob. From personal experience seems liek all the snobs just show up with a ton of money in their bags and dont play spectacularly, good but not great, and think that unless you have the high dollar name brand stuff they are quick to dismiss you.

Anybody else every get into hitting competitions at the range?

My preference is scoring competitions on the course, it's not "how" but "how many"

Regards, -E

In my Grom bag:

Driver........... Burner 9.5* S-Flex
3-Wood......... Burner 15* S-Flex
5-Wood......... Ovation 18* S-FlexIrons............. Pro Combos 3,5-PW Rifle 6.0Wedges......... CG12 52.10, 56.14, 60.10Putter............ 33" VP1 Milled PutterBall................ e6+ or B330-SRangefinder.....

My buddy is an excellent driver and he now likes to find the people who are laughing and making fun of the people who are trying to learn or that arent hitting that well and challenge them to contests.

How many laughers does he usually come across? Whenever I go to the range with friends, we always bet on something. "First one to hit the sign", "closest to the pin", "hook/slice around the tree" you name it!

Only with friends...Distance, yes and of course we aim at targets (first person to hit a particular target wins). We actually aimed for a pack of geese grazing about 100 or so yards away and tried hitting them. Of course both me and my friend were beginners so we didn't necessarily think we had a shot but my friend hit one and it went down hard. It was on the ground trying to right itself with one wing flapping hard but the poor thing just couldn't do it. After resting for awhile it gave it another shot and flapped hard, but nothing :(

All the other geese kept a distance and kept looking over, unsure of what to do...My friend and I most usually aim for flags and other stationary objects now.

I don't remember the last time I saw someone laughing or making fun of someone because they struggle at hitting the ball. What kind of ***holes hit balls at your range.
What's In The Bag?

Driver - Rapture 10.5 Epic 68g X-Pure - Balance Certified
Fairway Metal - Titleist PT 18°
Irons - Mizuno MP-67 3-PW Project X 6.0 Wedges - Mizunos R Series Chrome 52°, 56°, 58° Project X 6.0 Putter - Yes! C-Groove Callie-f - Balance Certified Bag - Ping Freestyle...

Yeah..this kid i used to practice and I had a contest where we would try to hit the actual flag connected to a pin about 60-65 yards from the hitting areas. With a 4 iron... Its alot harder than it sounds..lol.
THE WEAPONS CACHE..

Titleist 909 D2 9.5 Degree Driver| Titleist 906f4 13.5 degree 3-Wood | Titleist 909 17 & 21 degree hybrid | Titleist AP2 irons
Titleist Vokey Wedges - 52 & 58 | Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 Putter | ProV1 Ball

In high school, we'd try to hit lob and sand wedges into the bin at the back of the range cart - note that the driver was protected and the ball wasn't going all that fast.

Another cool thing to do is take a 4I or 2I and see if you can't dent the 50 or 100 yard marker with a 'stinger', kind of like a slap shot in hockey - even though our coach got on us for screwing off on the range, this is actually a good drill for hitting a low shot out of trees or into the wind (I practice it all the time now).

A local range has hoop targets at 80 and 100 yds. A couple of times I've gotten into friendly competition with the guy next to me on the range (complete stranger). First to bag 3 wins the set, best of 3 sets wins the match. It's very good "hot" wedge practice, teaching you to stay calm under pressure and really focus. I prefer to pick someone who looks to be better than me, the more challenging the better.

Driver: Cobra 460SZ 9.0, med.
3 Wood: Taylor stiff
3-hybrid: Nike 18 deg stiff
4-hybrid:
Taylor RBZ 22 deg regular
Irons:5-9, Mizuno MP30, steel
Wedges: PW, 52, 56, 60 Mizuno MP30
Putter: Odyssey 2-ball

I don't remember the last time I saw someone laughing or making fun of someone because they struggle at hitting the ball. What kind of ***holes hit balls at your range.

Quiet a few. Seems like the ones who are actually good, are rather nice and even quick to offer advice if asked, but its the ones who THINK they are good.

Most of the people out there are pretty darn nice, but seems like there is atleast always one group everytime we go. The only people I will ever laugh at or make comments about are my friends, but they get to do it to me plenty so its all in fun.

if someone laughs at my kid or a friend of mine. ill walk right into their tee box, arms crossed asking them to either take a swing or take a hike or stfu. I would continue to follow them if they go to another tee station until they have driven out the damn place.

and people appreciate it. Too many people hold their tongues these days when some punk acts like a moron, or some a## cuts a line. When I get in their face they don't seem so bad all the sudden. Too many punks and jerks coming out of high school and college these days, a true sign of a decline in the number of woodsheds in this country.

Note: This thread is 5506 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!