IGNORED

2 man best ball - strategies?

Fat Slice
Note: This thread is 5488 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I am in a 2 man best ball tourney on Sunday. I shoot to a 23 handicap, my friend and partner for Sunday is a 4.

What type of strategy should be employed to give us the best chance to score?

Driver: Nike Ignite 10.5 w/ Fujikura Motore F1
2H: King Cobra
4H: Nickent 4DX
5H: Adams A3
6I 7I 8I 9I PW: Mizuno mp-57Wedges: Mizuno MP T-10 50, 54, 58 Ball: random

Sometimes there is a mix up with what people mean by best shot/best ball. Are you saying best ball as in when both play out the hole and you take the better score?

2004 State Drive, Chip and Putt Champion
2005 Northern Iowa Player Of The Year
2006 Iowa Girl's Golf 2A Individual State Champion
2007 Iowa Co-Ed Golf State Champion
2007 State Drive, Chip and Putt Champion2008 Iowa Girl's Golf 2A Individual State Champion2009 College Division Iowa Junior Tour...

If it is a best shot where you both hit and take the better shot then I would say when you are putting, you put first and let the 4 handicapper read from your putt. This is usually how I play for strategy when doing this.

2004 State Drive, Chip and Putt Champion
2005 Northern Iowa Player Of The Year
2006 Iowa Girl's Golf 2A Individual State Champion
2007 Iowa Co-Ed Golf State Champion
2007 State Drive, Chip and Putt Champion2008 Iowa Girl's Golf 2A Individual State Champion2009 College Division Iowa Junior Tour...

I am in a 2 man best ball tourney on Sunday. I shoot to a 23 handicap, my friend and partner for Sunday is a 4.

You always hit first so if you put yourself/team in good position, the pressure is off of your A player. If you screw up, then he should play for the safe par. With your handicap, do not attempt any heroic shots. If you find yourself in jail, chip out of trouble and play for bogie. Bogies can sometimes be the best ball, especially in a 2 man event. Doubles on the other hand are usually not! Don't get upset if you have a bad hole. Everyone will have a bad hole. Give your first putt a chance to go in. Do not be short on any putt. Don't drink until after the round. Most importantly, have fun it's only a game.

Basically with a handicap difference that significant, you should take every shot first and get a ball in play as best you can so the 4 handicapper can go at his drives, go at the stick, etc...

Bryan A
"Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Sometimes there is a mix up with what people mean by best shot/best ball. Are you saying best ball as in when both play out the hole and you take the better score?

Yes, that's it, and each person gets 0 1 or 2 strokes per hole, depending on their handicap and the the handicap of the hole. I think I'll be getting 1 stroke on every hole and 2 strokes on 9 holes...or something close to that.

Driver: Nike Ignite 10.5 w/ Fujikura Motore F1
2H: King Cobra
4H: Nickent 4DX
5H: Adams A3
6I 7I 8I 9I PW: Mizuno mp-57Wedges: Mizuno MP T-10 50, 54, 58 Ball: random

Yes, that's it, and each person gets 0 1 or 2 strokes per hole, depending on their handicap and the the handicap of the hole. I think I'll be getting 1 stroke on every hole and 2 strokes on 9 holes...or something close to that.

If it's a "best ball" format where you are playing out each hole with your own ball, the strategy should be the opposite of what's been described. Your partner (4 hdcp) should play it safe and try to ensure your par while you go for it on holes where you have the most strokes. Say you have two strokes on a hole; that means even if you make a double bogey, you still net a par. If anything, you should use that advantage and go for the net birdie. Even if you mess it up most of the time, your partner should atleast bail your team out.

In every tournament with a format like this that I've played it, I've always done better when the higher handicap is going for it while the lower handicap tries to guarantee a net par.

basically with a handicap difference that significant, you should take every shot first and get a ball in play as best you can so the 4 handicapper can go at his drives, go at the stick, etc...

I think the exact opposite. I want to hit first so it takes all the pressure off both me and the higher handicap player. It also keeps me in my normal game. I don't want to start a "scramble" swing. I want to hit the ball like normal. You also have to remember that the 4 handicap will not only get the ball on the green, but many times he will get it pretty close. If the higher handicap player hits a bad shot, the 4 handicap has to change his mindset so he at least has a birdie putt. That pressure changes everything.

My swing thoughts:

- Negative thinking hurts more than negative swinging.
- I let my swing balance me.
- Full extension back and through to the target. - I swing under not around my body. - My club must not twist in my swing. - Keep a soft left knee

I think the exact opposite. I want to hit first so it takes all the pressure off both me and the higher handicap player. It also keeps me in my normal game. I don't want to start a "scramble" swing. I want to hit the ball like normal. You also have to remember that the 4 handicap will not only get the ball on the green, but many times he will get it pretty close. If the higher handicap player hits a bad shot, the 4 handicap has to change his mindset so he at least has a birdie putt. That pressure changes everything.

I can see it both ways. You make a good point. Personally for me, I tend to hit better shots under pressure. I just love having the "have to" shot. I guess a 4 handicapper is used to getting it close on every pin anyway, and that is their normal game....if the higher handicapper has no ball in play then that would put extra pressure on the lower handicapper. I see your point!

Bryan A
"Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 5488 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!