IGNORED

Irons Troubles

Note: This thread is 6511 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Well im sort of a beginner at golf and i can hit some farely decent shots from time to time but sometimes whenever i hit my irons i always blade them and i blade them bad or other times i chunk it! Anyone got any tips to keep me from blading my irons? I have a set of Callaway Steelhead X-14 Irons so it shouldn't be the irons. I need all the help please! I have a scramble comming up in late july and i want to get my golf game goin.

Well im sort of a beginner at golf and i can hit some farely decent shots from time to time but sometimes whenever i hit my irons i always blade them and i blade them bad or other times i chunk it! Anyone got any tips to keep me from blading my irons? I have a set of Callaway Steelhead X-14 Irons so it shouldn't be the irons. I need all the help please! I have a scramble comming up in late july and i want to get my golf game goin.

Were the clubs fitted for you and your swing? Perhaps lookng at taking some lessons would also be a benefit. You would have plenty of time to practice before your scramble in July.

Alan Olson

Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!
Check out our Facebook page!

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I would bet anything that you are bringing the clubface into the ball too flat; trying to hit the back of the ball and propel it forward. If you misjudge it even a little bit you'll either hit the ground a full 1/2 inch or so behind the ball ("fat") or contact the mid-section of the ball with the leading edge of the club ("thin").

Instead, form an image in your mind where you are hitting down on the ball so that the leading edge of the club takes a divot in the ground just barely in front of the ball.

Hitting down on the ball is crucial to getting it up in the air, as contradictory as that may sound.

One more tip: Pick out a dimple on the ball that you want the middle of the clubface to contact at impact. Be that demanding and precise with yourself and actually attempt to see that contact at the moment it occurs. Quality of contact is a huge part of golf. Pay close attention to it.
A Mixed Bag

Driver 320Ti, 10.5 R, stock graphite
Ovation 3W, Aldila 65R graphite
Dunlop DDH 5W Edge CFT Hybrid 3-iron, #3 graphite CFT irons 4 - E wedge, #3 graphite Apex Edge F wedge 60 degree LW Bobby Grace M5K putter Laddie X A3

• 5 weeks later...
Flipping or getting handsy could definitely do it. Another culprit that I have some experience with is moving the head. Not just rotating it to watch the shot, but pulling it up or dropping it down (and the upper body with it). If you move down with your forward swing, you can chunk it. If you pull up, you can blade it.

If you have this affliction, there are a couple ways that I know of that you can work on this. Have a friend hold a club against your forehead (grip end to your head is recommended). That way you can tell if you are moving around too much during your swing. Another solo method you can use is to stick a pen or pencil in your mouth pointed at the ball and keep it there through your back and fore swing. It takes a little practice, but it definitely pays off. Good luck!

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend.
Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.
--Groucho Marx

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

You might want to be sure that your swing is staying on the same plane. For example make sure you aren't standing up in your swing or dipping down with your knees as this can also be an issue to your chunking and thinning the ball. Good luck!

In the bag
907 D2 8.5 Matrix Ozik shaft
904F 13 UST Proforce shaft
585-H UST Proforce
4-PW 690.MB Vokey Oil Can 52 56 and 60 Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 1.5 Pro VIHome Course- Somerby Golf Club site of the Nationwide Tour Scholorship Fund Tournamenthttp://www.somerby.com

try looking at the ground just after the ball, and focus on hitting down. i was hitting my irons badly a while back and found that all i had to do was change what i was looking at and i started making crisp contact everytime.

In My Bag:
9.5 degree Mizuno MX-500
15 degree Titliest 904F
Mizuno MP-32 3-PW
Cleveland CG10 Black Pearl 52 degree
Vokey Spin-Milled 56.14
Ping i5 Anser

If you are getting outside a the top, your arms may be pulling the club back across the ball, to reach it, which decelerates the head speed and causes thin shots. Practice your back swing only against a wall. Take your stance with your butt just touching the wall. You should be able to complete your backswing and not have the club contact the wall

Note: This thread is 6511 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!