IGNORED

Went club shopping this weekend... need help

Note: This thread is 5463 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

After browsing at the local golf shops the past month I decided to get serious about club shopping and swing a few sets. I was convinced wanted a full hybrid set and I was looking at the Adams A3OS, Cobra Transition S, and the Cleveland HiBore. To my surprise I did not like any of them. I guess that is why it is so important to try before you buy...

What I decided on was 3-5 Callaway diablo hybrid and a broken iron set 6-P. Thats where the problem came in. I hit a bunch in the shop and took a couple of 6 irons with me and loved the Callaway Big Bertha's and Taylormade Burner irons. I like the feel of both of them. With the Bertha's my distance is consistent but I am off laterally... with he Burners I am dead straight but my distances are inconsistent. Both of which I attribute to the clubs being too short for me since they are the demos and my current clubs are lengthened and upright.

So what do I do from here. I have 2 sets of clubs I like and hit them about the same. Is either set superior to the other in some criteria that I may be missing or do I just flip a coin?

I would go with accuracy before distance . . . at my point in the game, accuracy would be cool as hell.

In my Cart Bag:
Driver: R7 Draw 9*
3W: Ovation 15*
Hybrid Halo 19* 2H, Halo 22* 3H
Irons: i/3 O-Size 4-PWSW: Vokey SM 56*Putter: Anser

I absolutely agree with TheWarHound. Accuracy above distance. Who cares if you hit the club a mile, if it's a mile into the woods?
Driver: Callaway FT-IQ 10*
Fairway Woods: Callaway X-Hot 15*, Callaway X 2008 18*
Hybrids: Callaway X-Hybrid 21*
Irons: Mizuno MP-57 5-PW (27*, 31*, 35*, 39*, 43*, 47*)
Wedges: Eidolon V-Sole GW (52*), SW (56*), LW (60*)Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball White Steel BladeBall: Bridgestone e6 BallStand Bag: Ogio...

The problem, from what I understand is not total distance, its with how consistent the distance is with each.

I suggest trying to get your hands on clubs that are to your specs and try them like that, otherwise you wont really know how they will be. The inconsistent distances might be because of the club head and not the shaft.

SGI are known to be less consistent than a true blade. The less forgiving the club the more consistent the club.

Thanks for the feedback all.. I am going to keep the demo clubs for a few more days to try and feel them out more.

Has anyone used either of these clubs or does anyone have any opinions on them that could help me in my decision.

SGI are known to be less consistent than a true blade. The less forgiving the club the more consistent the club.

this ^^^ is a somewhat misleading statement... you can mishit an SGI iron by a fair bit and still get close to "normal yardage, mishit a blade and you'll loose more yards.

The reason you were hitting the TM's different yardages was probably something to do with your swing, NOT the clubs. I would bet pretty good money that a good player could take an iron from the TM set and land them all at the same distance dispersion as the Callaway.
My Clubs: Callaway FT-i Tour LCG 9.5° w/ Matrix Ozik Xcon 6 stiff; Sonartec GS Tour 14° w/ Graphite Design Red Ice 70 stiff; Adams Idea Pro 2h(18°) & 3h(20°) w/ Aldila VS Proto 80 stiff; Adams Idea Pro Forged 4-PW w/ TT Black Gold stiff; Cleveland CG12 DSG RTG 52°-10° & 58°-10°; Odyssey...

Maybe your swing is inconsistent. I agree distance over accuracy but also inconsistent in two different ways with two different styles of clubs usually means 1 thing. Swing is off.

Clubs:
Driver: Ping Rapture 10.5 degree, Stiff Flex shaft
Fairway Wood: Ping Rapture 17* - Stiff Shaft
Hybrids: Callaway Heaven Wood 20* Firm Flex
Irons: Titleist 704 CB (Forged) (4-PW), Dynamic Gold S300 ShaftsWedges: Titleist Vokey 52 and 58 degreePutter: Odessy White Hot XG Model #1Bag: Ping HooferBa...

Note: This thread is 5463 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!