IGNORED

Homemade Swing Aid/Strength Builder

Note: This thread is 6526 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hi Folks,

Came up with an idea I thought I'd share. Now, this is nothing new of course but you can do this easily at home, save some money and get a great golf workout.

Make a weighted club of an old 6 iron or a driver. Go down to Walmart or your local fishing tackle store and buy two or three 3/16" solid core lead wire coils (for river fishing mostly). Simply wrap the wire tightly around the hozzle and up the shaft of the club to create a (depending on preference) tremendously heavy and useful swing trainer. I know you can buy commercial weighted clubs but they are kind of light and they have a formed grip which is useless to me as a grip trainor and might defeat some of the purpose of strengthening the hands and wrists.

Do several slow back swings. Concentrate on a long and slow takeaway and a full turn. Dont let the heavy club get away from you: force yourself to maintain form. You will achieve greater and greater shoulder turn as it loosens and stengthens all the key swing muscles.

I also suggest forgetting form and just working on your turn with this. Daly advocats in his book Grip it and Rip it doing just that to lengthen the swing and increase the shoulder turn. You now have a very versitile swing trainor.

You should also do a dozen or so (or more depending on your goals) SLOW full swings with great form and follow through. After your workout, pick up a regular club. You will be amazed at how light it feels in your hands and how easy it is to deliver a powerful swing!

I hope this inspires somebody out there and helps a few games.

-AJ

In the bag:

Orlimar HipSteel 8.5 Driver
Orlimar Tri Metal 3 Wood 15*
Titliest 775 CB Irons Ping Anser 2

Good info, I'm positive someone will appreciate this!

Good work AJ!
In the Bag:
Drivers:: Ben Hogan C-S3 (10.5* Neutral), Callaway Steelhead III (8.5*)
Hybrids: Precept ECU 30*, Precept ECU 25*, Dulop LoCo Utility 17*
Irons: Adams Golf Idea A1 Pro
Wedges: Adams Tom Watson (Lob and Sand)Putter: Adams Golf GT Spec 03 PutterBalls: Callaway HX Red & Precept MC Lady

• 4 weeks later...
It would take a lot of lead tape to make the club heavy enough to be effective.

The way I have it now is very heavy. It wouldnt be smart to try and hit a ball with it like that. However, for purposes of hitting I think you could have one roll of lead wire on instead of the three I have. The lead is very pliable and it will be secure around the shaft pretty much on its own but if I were going to hit with it I'd make sure I secured it really well with something. Hoseclamps seem to work.

In the bag:

Orlimar HipSteel 8.5 Driver
Orlimar Tri Metal 3 Wood 15*
Titliest 775 CB Irons Ping Anser 2

Here's another really cheap and effective training tool...

go out to your local hardware store and buy a strong, quality corn husk broom... now with the broom work on bringing it back and through using your normal swing path/plane. Do this everyday for 15-20mins, then once through with the broom take your driver and place a sock around the head. Do the same with the club...

this will add speed to your swing and train key muscles in your forearms and wrists... don't spend 100+ on one of those Jijay sticks, a broom works pretty well

Daniel Duarte
905R UST Proforce V2 76g 44" S
904F 15, Graphite Design YS6+
MD Hybrid, 19 Degree, UST V2 Hybrid S
Pro M Gunmetal 5-PW, Nippon 1150GH Pro SVokey Oil Can 52 - RAWVokey Spin Milled Oil Can 56, 60 - RAWTEI3 Newport II - Torch Copper- Prov1x

Note: This thread is 6526 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!