IGNORED

Finding Golf Tournaments/Events?

TinCup
Note: This thread is 6547 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I live in Virginia Beach and would like to start playing in matchplay or bestball scramble events. I was wondering if there is a good place to search like a database of events. I know for tennis we had the USTA website which would allow you to search your area and had a list of events. Please Give a couple of suggestions...Thanks.
My Bag
Driver: Dunlop Invicta 10.5˚ (Graphite Shaft)
3&5 wood: Lancer Oversize (Graphite)
Irons: Titleist 990 (Steel)
Wedge: Ram FX 57˚(Graphite)Putter: Ram Accubar AB-2Ball: Nike Juice

The the Virginia State Golf Assoc. website. www.vsga.org
In The Bag
Ping Rapture 10.5* Aldila Proto 65-S
Sonartec SS 3.5 19* 5W Fuji Tour Platform Stiff
Mizuno MP-30 3-PW
Titleist Vokey Spin Milled 54.10*, 60.04*Odyssey White Hot 2 BallTitleist Pro V1x

As Wood said above, the VSGA is very good. They have their own series of 1-day tournaments throughout the year at various courses throughout the state. The only problem with those is that they're almost always on weekdays, but then again, there are some fantastic courses you get to play on there.

Also, there are a few regional golf "tours" for amateurs. I can't remember any of the names right now (I think one is the Michelob Ultra Tour) but you can do a search for amateur golf tours on the web and probably come up with a number of them.

As for anything other than that, I haven't found much. There are a number of websites that allow golfers to post their tournaments, but very often they're focused in certain areas and only include like 1 or 2 tournaments tops in Va.

Just try to keep an eye out in the newspaper for charity tournaments, etc. Also, your local golf shop may post flyers on local tournaments.
In My Bag:
Driver: Titleist 983K 9.5°, Harmon HTD CB-65R
3-Wood: Mizuno MP-001, 13°, Harrison Striper Titanium
Hybrid 1: TaylorMade Rescue Mid TP, 16°
Hybrid 2: TaylorMade Rescue Mid TP, 19°Irons: Ping S59 Tour 4-PWWedges: Mizuno Black Nickel 51.06 / Cleveland Black Pearl 58.08Putter:...

Hey thanks Fahoo

I will keep my eye open. I have asked at a couple of courses I play at and they don't know much about the local golf events. Guess I will keep searching.
What section of the newspaper is a good place to look? Classifieds or in the sports section??
My Bag

You'll see some every now and then in the sports section but I think usually those are the ones that are coming up soon so its more difficult to get into those. Sometimes the "community" section has some stuff.

Also, check out GolfStyles magazine... they have a tournament called the Summer Solstice Survival (54 holes in 1 day) that I play in frequently. It's really a lot of fun but its exhausting when you're done. They also have some other stuff like the Players' Series. Not sure if you travel up north a lot, but I think most of their tournaments are in NOVA.

Also, (can't believe I forgot about this) check out www.themicrotour.com . I used to play in this but I wasn't a huge fan of the fact that it was an all "net" tournament. Still, it was interesting to get a taste of "tournament" golf and you do meet some neat guys who love golf. They play a lot on the Peninsula, but there are a number of guys from Va Beach and even up in NOVA that play.
In My Bag:
Hybrid 2: TaylorMade Rescue Mid TP, 19°Irons: Ping S59 Tour 4-PWWedges: Mizuno Black Nickel 51.06 / Cleveland Black Pearl 58.08Putter:...

Does anyone know of any in the NY/NJ/CT area? I was trying to qualify for the Public Links but my Index isnt good enough, that would have been the only one through the MGA for me but it was not to be this year, maybe next year. Anyhow if any guys know of any around the area i described above, I would appreciate it.
Driver-Taylor Made R7 460cc 10.5* Fujikara REAX Stiff
Fairway Wood-Taylor Made R7 Draw 15* Fujikara REAX Stiff
Hybrid Taylor Made 19* Rescue Mid Steel Stiff
4-PW-Golfsmith G40 TT Lite XL Stiff
GW-Ben Hogan Riviera 8* Bounce 50*SW-Ben Hogan Riviera Medium Bounce 56*LW-Cleveland 60* 588 ChromePutter-Taylo...

Fahoo lots of good information. I liked that microtour. The only thing is you have to be invited in order to be able to attend. I will keep that in the back of my mind because you have to pay quite a bit to become a member and then for each event.

Where is that summer solstice event at? Up near you or in NOVA? Sounds like fun!
My Bag

Don't forget about the Carolinas Golf Association, too. A lot of their tournaments will be closer to VB then the VGA stuff.

Hey Fahoo, you gonna try to play in the Eastern? I haven't played Elizabeth Manor in a few years but I'll be playing the First Flight tourney a week from Monday to see if I can get in.

In my bag:
Driver - 905T, 9.5* UST V2 75 s
Fairway - X Tour 15*, Fuji TP 26.3 x
Hybrid - Rescue Dual TP, 16* Diamana Rayon x
Irons - 4-pw X-18 PS Rifle 6.5Wedges - MpT BNi, 51.08, 56.13, 60.10Putter(s) - Puku BellyBall - Bridgestone Tour B330-S

Hey Fahoo, you gonna try to play in the Eastern? I haven't played Elizabeth Manor in a few years but I'll be playing the First Flight tourney a week from Monday to see if I can get in.

This is going to prove that I don't play in enough state amateur tournaments because I'm not even sure what you're talking about with the Eastern.

However, please feel free to enlighten me as it sounds like a ton of fun.
The only thing is you have to be invited in order to be able to attend.

Eh, not necessarily. They put that on there, but if you email the head guy (name is Mike Beacham) and tell him you're interested in joining, he's usually willing to work with you. I say send him an email and give it a shot. Plus, it may seem like a good bit of $$$, but in reality, its not too bad if you're looking to play in tournaments. The VSGA's are a bargain at only $45, but I've seen some tournaments that cost a good deal.

Where is that summer solstice event at? Up near you or in NOVA? Sounds like fun!

The Solstice is usually up in northern virginia \ maryland \ pennsylvania. This year, they're having tournaments (you can play in any of them) at Bull Run, Musket Ridge, Laurel Hill, Blue Mash, and The Links at Gettysburg. In the past, I've seen them at Royal New Kent, Swan Point, Stonewall, Westfields, etc. Here's the Golfstyles website -

www.golfstyles.net
In My Bag:

Note: This thread is 6547 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!