IGNORED

Matrix XCON-5 Stiff After-Market Shafts

Note: This thread is 2793 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Anyone tried this shaft? I don't know much about it, or how it compares to other after-market shafts, or to stock shafts for that matter.

Looking to buy a club with this shaft on it, and I would like to know more before shelling out the cash. Can someone educate me on this shaft?
What's in My Bag?

Driver: 10.5° KZG SP-700 with Fujikura SIX Regular Flex Shaft | 2h: Adams A7OS Stiff | 3h: Adams A3OS Stiff | 4h: Nike Slingshot Steel | 5i-PW: Adams A2OS | Sand Wedge: Cleveland CG14 56° 3-dot | Lob Wedge: Cleveland CG15 60° 3-dot | Putter: Fisher CTS-9 Polyurethane Face

x con is one hell of a shaft...

the 5 is pretty light.. you may want to look into the 6 or 7, depending on your preference.

performance wise its a bit of a higher launching shaft... the made for ones, (aka the "Matrix Ozik" is outlined in silver, not in gold) have a bit more torque, so you can close the clubface easier..

the high launch is nice.. not too high launch like the altus, but i found this one to kinda start out high, where as my altus starts low and then kicks up. both get great carry and some pretty good kick when they land as well.

dont buy it new tho.. golfwrx has them regularily for fairly cheap, (well, not the 500 you would shell out new) you may want to buy a made for first, see if you like it, and then shell out the big ones for a "real" one. I know i have sold a couple made for Xcon's for 50, so you wont be out too much on your initial matrix venture. You may notice all my woods have a matrix in them, maybe i just drank the KoolAid, but god i would swear by these things!!

|Callaway FT-9 Tour Neutral 9.5 Diamana BlueBoard| TaylorMade TourLaunch 14.5 Matrix Ozik F7M2 X| Adams Idea Pro 20 Matrix Ozik Altus X| Mizuno MP-32 4-PW TTDG S300|Titleist Vokey 50| Tour Issue Titleist Black Ni Vokey SM 54|Callaway X Forged 62 || Kirk Currie Brazos| Callaway Tour IX/...

The 5 is light (will be crazy long, but harder to control) I have the 6. I LOVE it.

Link to the Martix site

driver: FT-i tlcg 9.5˚ (Matrix Ozik XCONN Stiff)
4 wood: G10 (ProLaunch Red FW stiff)
3 -PW: :Titleist: 695 mb (Rifle flighted 6.0)
wedges:, 52˚, 56˚, 60˚
putter: Studio Select Newport 1.5

Great information. thanks!

So, since the Matrix Ozik XCON-5 stiff flex shaft is lighter (59 grams), does that mean it "acts" more like a regular flex XCON-6 (67 grams) for example? I guess the more appropriate question is, how does weight of the shaft make the club more or less controllable?

I'd love to be able to try out all of the after-market shafts and find the right one for me. But this one comes with the club I'm thinking about buying. Sure, I could switch out shafts later, but I'd rather spend the money on other things.
What's in My Bag?

Driver: 10.5° KZG SP-700 with Fujikura SIX Regular Flex Shaft | 2h: Adams A7OS Stiff | 3h: Adams A3OS Stiff | 4h: Nike Slingshot Steel | 5i-PW: Adams A2OS | Sand Wedge: Cleveland CG14 56° 3-dot | Lob Wedge: Cleveland CG15 60° 3-dot | Putter: Fisher CTS-9 Polyurethane Face

because it is lighter, it will promote a faster transition and, in turn, a faster clubhead speed. Should not affect flex, but if you have a bit quick of a transition, a heavier shaft may help to slow that down without affecting your yardage too much..

And honestly, i would go out on a limb and say that Jay Bird has what is considered a "Not real" matrix in his FTi..the stock shafts do differ from the aftermarket shafts..dont get me wrong, but they are still the same technology, just different weights and torques to accomodate different clubheads.

|Callaway FT-9 Tour Neutral 9.5 Diamana BlueBoard| TaylorMade TourLaunch 14.5 Matrix Ozik F7M2 X| Adams Idea Pro 20 Matrix Ozik Altus X| Mizuno MP-32 4-PW TTDG S300|Titleist Vokey 50| Tour Issue Titleist Black Ni Vokey SM 54|Callaway X Forged 62 || Kirk Currie Brazos| Callaway Tour IX/...

And honestly, i would go out on a limb and say that Jay Bird has what is considered a "Not real" matrix in his FTi..the stock shafts do differ from the aftermarket shafts..dont get me wrong, but they are still the same technology, just different weights and torques to accomodate different clubheads.

Agreed whole heartedly. But I bet my fake Matrix hits many, many fairways and I'd go out on a limb and say I usually out drive everyone I ever play with.

driver: FT-i tlcg 9.5˚ (Matrix Ozik XCONN Stiff)
4 wood: G10 (ProLaunch Red FW stiff)
3 -PW: :Titleist: 695 mb (Rifle flighted 6.0)
wedges:, 52˚, 56˚, 60˚
putter: Studio Select Newport 1.5

And honestly, i would go out on a limb and say that Jay Bird has what is considered a "Not real" matrix in his FTi

If you would, please cite your sources on the "fake" Matrix Icon shaft. The one in my FT-i looks real. Is this hear say, or did Matrix make a "fake" Matrix Icon X6 especially for Callaway.

If you would, please cite your sources on the "fake" Matrix Icon shaft. The one in my FT-i looks real. Is this hear say, or did Matrix make a "fake" Matrix Icon X6 especially for Callaway.

They are not fake per se... All of the made for shafts aka the ones that come stock in clubs go for much much less than a quote real matrix will. They come from the same place that "real" matrix come from. They just are a little different in weight ans torques. But as jaybird said, the "fake" ones work very well... On a first venture into matrix, a made for shaft that costs 50 is a great deal.. Especially when you see the results :] then you will imagine what a "real" matrix would perform like :]

Note- most of the matrix that come as stock shafts, the "matrix ozik" will be out lined in silver, where as a "real" or after market matrix is outlined in gold. This is true for all matrix shafts except the code series (or any of the odd colored matrix, as the colors beyond red were not offered to retail beyond the to and the hd series which come in white) the code is more of a matte red and is just plain silver writing. And there is your all inclusive guide to matrix golf shafts! Feel free to pm or post amy other questions!

I got an email back from Matrix today. I was pleased to hear that I don't have a "fake" shaft

"Thank you for contacting Matrix Shafts. Good news! You have the REAL thing. All Callaway parts have real,aftermarket Matrix shafts.Your OZIK XCON 6 is as real as if you bought it directly from us."

I got an email back from Matrix today. I was pleased to hear that I don't have a "fake" shaft

again, there not fake.. they are just not aftermarket.. meaning if i bought a matrix x con 5 and you bought a FT i and we tried to sell the shafts, you Xcon would fetch about 50 bucks where as mine would fetch something in the realm of 150 bucks. Its from matrix, but just like every other made for shaft, there are differences between them and their aftermarket brothers.

perhaps the cally ones are considered "aftermarket" but ive certainly never seen them go for what aftermarket ones do when being sold..

Its from matrix, but just like every other made for shaft, there are differences between them and their aftermarket brothers.

Based on the reply I got from Matrix, the only difference is the price. But I see what you are saying about the prices of aftermarket shafts.

If the only difference where price, people would be crazy to not get on eBay and purchase a "Made for Titleist" Matrix shaft. As was stated earlier, the weight of the shaft is lighter in the "Made for..." stock shafts and the torque is higher. I just got a Titleist 909D3 with an XCON 6 made for Titleist shaft and had it tipped 1/2 inch to bring the torque down to be more consistent with the after market shaft. So, aside from the weight (I think my shaft is 2grams lighter) everything else should be close to the same.

Honestly, unless you are an extremely gifted golfer (I'm talking tour caliber player) you're not going to notice the difference in the "made for..." stock shaft vs. the more expensive after market shaft.

If the only difference where price, people would be crazy to not get on eBay and purchase a "Made for Titleist" Matrix shaft. As was stated earlier, the weight of the shaft is lighter in the "Made for..." stock shafts and the torque is higher. I just got a Titleist 909D3 with an XCON 6 made for Titleist shaft and had it tipped 1/2 inch to bring the torque down to be more consistent with the after market shaft. So, aside from the weight (I think my shaft is 2grams lighter) everything else should be close to the same.

Thank you lol.

"Thank you for contacting Matrix Shafts. Good news! You have the REAL thing. All Callaway parts have real,aftermarket Matrix shafts.Your OZIK XCON 6 is as real as if you bought it directly from us."

Again guys, not being argumentative here, but all I have to go on is what Matrix told me in the above pasted email. Thanks for the insights.

Again guys, not being argumentative here, but all I have to go on is what Matrix told me in the above pasted email. Thanks for the insights.

The email you received from Matrix is 100% correct. They are in fact REAL Matrix shafts. The difference is that the specs on your Callaway Matrix (same as the Titleist Matrix in my 909D3) are different from those of the "exotic" shafts that you can actually purchase from Matrix. As I said before, the differences are the shaft weight and torque.

I don't think anyone is arguing the fact that they are fake because that couldn't be further from the truth, they just don't have the same same specs. The exotic Matrix XCON 6 in which you purchase straight from Matrix would cost you $300 just for the shaft alone. The best analogy that I can come up with is purchasing a new computer. You could get online and purchase a brand new Dell directly from Dell and it will likely cost you anywhere from $800 - $2000 dollars; or you could go to Wal-Mart and purchase a Dell for $400. Both are in fact real Dell computers, but the one you purchased straight from Dell will likely have better hardware, faster processor, etc.

The email you received from Matrix is 100% correct. They are in fact REAL Matrix shafts. The difference is that the specs on your Callaway Matrix (same as the Titleist Matrix in my 909D3) are different from those of the "exotic" shafts that you can actually purchase from Matrix. As I said before, the differences are the shaft weight and torque.

Pretty well put, while the "made for" shafs are made by Matrix and others, they try to take the real specs and make an affordable "one-size-fits all" that will work for club manufacturers. It's really a win-win for both sides, shaft manufacturers get their name out and the club manufacturers get to tought super expensive name brand shafts that come stock in their cubs. A lot of times the specs are pretty close which is fine for 95% of golfers out there, I think once you get into stiffer shafts and higher swing speeds is where issues start to arise.

Driver: 910D3 - Oban Kiyoshi 75 X / 909D3 - Oban Devotion 7 X
3 Wood: R9 TP - Oban Devotion 8 05
Hybrid: 909H - Project X Graphite
Irons: 4-6 AP2 - Project X 6.5 / 7-W MB - Project X 6.5
Wedges: Scratch 1018 52/56/60 KBS Tour XPutter: SC Button Back Newport 34" / SC Del Mar 34" / SC SS Newport...

They are not fake per se... All of the made for shafts aka the ones that come stock in clubs go for much much less than a quote real matrix will. They come from the same place that "real" matrix come from. They just are a little different in weight ans torques. But as jaybird said, the "fake" ones work very well... On a first venture into matrix, a made for shaft that costs 50 is a great deal.. Especially when you see the results :] then you will imagine what a "real" matrix would perform like :]

This is not true at all. The XCON 5,6,7 and 8h are all outlined in silver. The Altus and M2 lines are outlined in gold.

Just thought I would clear that up. Riot

Don't be so quick to drop the gun there.. When I get to my comp ( on I pod now) I will provide a link to gold outlined x cons. Regardless op, pick up a made for shaft... Should serve you well

Note: This thread is 2793 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!