IGNORED

A new approach to the game

CG031
Note: This thread is 5463 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I have been playing golf for three years, two years now in tournaments and for my high school team. Last August, I got my handicap down to a 9. I was pretty satisfied with that. This entire Spring, I struggled somewhat with my game in matches. My stroke average was a 42. But, it wasn't too bad at all. I felt I could have been a much better ball striker, but the only thing that was keeping my scores respectable was my chipping and putting, basically the ability to get up and down.

Over the past two Summers, I have had a membership to a 9 hole course near my house. I would play 27 holes a day there, at times...usually about 5 times per week. instead i got a driving range membership (unlimited golf balls for 350 dollars) so now i go to the driving range every day and hit about 100 balls and spend some time around the green putting and chipping. i think i will get a lot better like this as oppose to just playing everyday. working on what i need to get better on (actual ballstriking itself) is what i think will make me a better play. i suggest this to many of you who don't go to the range often. after a few weeks of doing this i've already seen improvements...

if you want to seriously get better work on your game at the range, and don't play as often on the course...it may be more fun on the course, but you'll see more results this way in my opinion.

Driver Ping G10 10.5*
Hybrids Ping G5 (3) 19* Bridgestone J36 (4) 22*
Irons Mizuno MP-57 5-PW
Wedges Srixon WG-504 52.08 Bridgestone WC Copper 56.13
Putter 33" Scotty Cameron Studio Select #2

Or get a membership at a club that has a course and practice greens/driving range :) It's what I do, I play the course in the morning - then each night I practice around the green/driving range

In The Bag:
Driver: r7 460 (9.5)
Fairway Woods: r7 CGB Max (3,5)
Hybrid:r7 CGB Max
Irons:AP2Wedges:Vokey Spin Milled Tour Chrome (52/8, 56/14, 60/4)Putter: Studio Select Newport 2Balls:Pro V1x 2009

Yes what you said is very true all the games best spend alot of time on the range. The only thing that we all have to be careful of is falling into bad range habit, like just hitting shots and not focusing on them. Every shot on the range should be thought through and executed as if it were a shot on the course. Spending time on the range is the best way to get better but it has to be quality practice.

FT-5 Tour 9.5 Driver Fujikura E360 X-Stiff
14 Degree Fairway Wood Fujikura Platform
Fusion 21 Degree Hybrid Aldila NV Stiff
X-20 Irons (Uniflex Nippon Shafts)
X Tour Vintage Wedges 54 and 58 Degree Studio Design Stainless Newport 35" Diablo Golf Ball"I must learn there is a difference between...

Yes what you said is very true all the games best spend alot of time on the range. The only thing that we all have to be careful of is falling into bad range habit, like just hitting shots and not focusing on them. Every shot on the range should be thought through and executed as if it were a shot on the course. Spending time on the range is the best way to get better but it has to be quality practice.

Very true but only once you get to a certain level. If you are a 36 handicap you will probably benefit even if you are just shelling out balls, because working on contact is the most important thing. Once you can make solid contact consistently is when it is vital to have QUALITY practice, slowing down, making each ball count (even on the range), etc.

Driver Ping G10 10.5*
Hybrids Ping G5 (3) 19* Bridgestone J36 (4) 22*
Irons Mizuno MP-57 5-PW
Wedges Srixon WG-504 52.08 Bridgestone WC Copper 56.13
Putter 33" Scotty Cameron Studio Select #2

I agree with you about the range. Luckily for me, our course has a range, traps, and a putting green. So lately before I go out instead of playing 27-36 holes, I've been hitting on the range a while and then going and playing 18. I can see vast improvements after I get on the range and figure my swing out.

In my Nexos Bag

Burner Driver 9.5*
Burner fairway 3 wood
755 Irons Tri Spec S Shafts 585 19* Hybrid w/ Aldilia NV S Shaft 3DX 23* Hybrid Tour 58* wedge CG 12 56* Wedge NCX-Ray Alpha Putter

Very true but only once you get to a certain level. If you are a 36 handicap you will probably benefit even if you are just shelling out balls, because working on contact is the most important thing. Once you can make solid contact consistently is when it is vital to have QUALITY practice, slowing down, making each ball count (even on the range), etc.

On the other hand, even though you are a 36 handicap, you don't want to be on the range engraining bad swings into muscle memory. So even though you aren't on a top level, you still need to think about what you are doing instead of just pumping ball after ball out there just for the sake of hitting them

Bryan A
"Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 5463 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!