IGNORED

A miserable round

timwalsh300
Note: This thread is 5462 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Anybody want to commiserate with me?

I ran into a friend of mine today in the parking lot, with whom I've never played before. We decide we'll play 9 holes together. He asks what I shoot and I tell him I've been in the low 90's. He says, "Oh, that's really good." I say, "Yeah, I'm making progress." I've been playing really well lately so I'm looking forward to impressing him.

On the first tee I can tell by his set-up that he is going to be horrible. Sure enough, he nearly whiffs on the first attempt and sends the ball 90 degrees in the wrong direction. His next attempt goes so far right that he went around the hazard. I open with a bogey - not good for the easiest hole, but it's acceptable.

From there I just couldn't do anything right. I had only 1 green in regulation and I managed to 3-putt on it. When all was said and done I shot a 52. What can you do? Say, "Damn, that was my worst round in a long time?" I'd be thinking, "Sure, buddy."

I figure that at least my friend was playing so badly that he probably didn't notice my mistakes (nor was he keeping my score).

But to add insult to injury, as we leave the 9th green he looks at his scorecard and says, "Well, I can't complain: 52." Maybe he was referring to his number of mulligans...

I need a hug.

Tim

I can relate to this completely. I think it has to do with the mental game. I do not have my mental golf game honed yet and when I play with people that are worse than I am, I inevitably drop to that level no matter what I try. If I play with the guys from work that are good, I tend to play better.

Everyone, even the pros, have days in which the play terribly. We all have a few of those a year. Think of it this way, you got one of yours out of the way early.

Thanks for sharing the story though.

Driver: Nike Covert Driver

Irons: Mizuno JPX-825 Pro 5-GW 

Cleveland Mashie 1, 2, 3, & 4 hybrids

Wedges: Mizuno MP-T4 Black Nickel 54* & 58*

Putter: Wack-e with super stroke grip

Ball: Titleist Pro V1X

yeah i can completely relate to this. i've played with people who have made at the very least an EIGHT on a whole when they claim they've gotten a par (due to mulligans, taking their own putts, etc.) and it used to frustrate the hell out of me. Now I ignore what other people are doing, play my own game, and I don't really care what they "claim" to shoot.

Driver Ping G10 10.5*
Hybrids Ping G5 (3) 19* Bridgestone J36 (4) 22*
Irons Mizuno MP-57 5-PW
Wedges Srixon WG-504 52.08 Bridgestone WC Copper 56.13
Putter 33" Scotty Cameron Studio Select #2

I can relate to this my friend who is an alright golfer really gets on my nerves when he his playing badly because all he does is whine about it and puts him in such a bad mood I can't even start to describe it. Playing golf just becomes not fun anymore.

Note: This thread is 5462 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!