IGNORED

Cost of golf in Australia

Note: This thread is 5111 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

For all you Aussies out there, I'm thinking about moving to Australia next year to do my Masters degree at University and I'm wondering how much it costs to play golf across the ditch.

I'm most likely going to be in either Canberra, Melbourne or Sydney.

Currently I pay $375 NZ per year for the membership at my course which is an 'Intermediate' membership for people under 23, I think the full price at the course is about $800.

Courses in my area range from about $20 to $130 per round with discounts available for being an affiliated member.

So my question is, how much am I looking at paying for golf if I decide to make the move? Thanks in advance.

• 3 months later...
Not cheap in Sydney. I live in the Eastern suburbs, and memberships are closed or not affordable. We have the Royal Sydney, The Australian, The Lakes, NSW, St Michaels, Bonnie Doon etc all within 20 mins drive of me but I wouldn't get a gig at any.

To play a round at the best of the rest would be between $40 and $110 walking. Unfortunately $800 membership would only get you membership to a par 28 9 hole pitch and putt...

My advice, stay in NZ and play lots of golf!

G15 10.5* Driver
HiBORE XLS 15* 3W
HiBORE XLS 21* & 24* 3H & 4H
X-31 5I to SW
Vokey Spin Oil Can 60* LW Marilyn 34" Putter Tour Stand Bag SciFlex Glove & Golf Athletics Shoes

Speaking from Melbourne's perspective ... the top notch courses arent cheap, but the positive is that there are heaps of them in Victoria.

Forget about the Royal Melbournes / Huntingdales etc... you need to be running the University, not going to it !!!

A good private club is still in the $2000 joining fee, $1800 a year range.

For under $1000 a year, you are looking at courses that are out of the metro area (which is still not too far - maybe 90 minutes drive from the city) and the courses are a really high standard.

• 9 months later...
  • 1 month later...
australia is expensive mate!
$1500 / year,. + for anything decent....
most Unis are inner city, and cost of golf is more expensive closer to city.

forget the eastern states, go West!!

always give way to the Greenskeeper!!

in my bag:
whatever clubs i find left behind on the course... But the Ping Anser will never be beaten!!

BALL: only get off tractor for PRO v1's..... Now, which way to Q School???

Note: This thread is 5111 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!