IGNORED

How bad are my clubs?

Heimer
Note: This thread is 5471 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

What originally began as gearing up as a newbie for a company tourny has become a growing addiction for me! I thought I got a pretty good deal on a complete set of Alien Ag-7 clubs for $199(50% off) and have been playing them solid for a few months now.

First off, the driver was horrible; shaft had way to much flex and twist. The 3-wood seemed decent enough, the hybrids OK, and I really like the putter! However, I'm really questioning the irons... Seems that even on my best strikes the ball comes off the club with a "clunk" on the 5-8 irons, I'm still very much a novice, so maybe it seems weird to say that they just don't sound right to me? Also, it seems like I get an awful lot of vibration upon impact through the grip. I'm a lefty so I haven't had the ability to test out my friends' clubs, so I'm really just baseing these opinions on my newbie gut instincts.

I've already replaced the driver with a Nicklaus dual point 460 with a stiff shaft that I realllly like a lot. It made a huge improvement in the distance and accuracy of my drives, so I'm wondering if the same could be done should I go ahead and replace the rest of the set with something of better quality.

Also, it seems the clubs I bought are a bit obscure so I haven't had any luck finding any reviews of them online.

Just hoping some o you experienced gamers could throw some advice my way.

Thanks,

In my Slingshot cart bag:
Irons: CCI 4-AW R-Graphite. Alien AG7 3-Hybrid.
Driver: Dual-Point 460 9* S-Fujikura Fit-On E.
Woods: Big Bertha S2H2 3w 5w.
Putter/SW: Alien AG7 Mallet/56*.Cart: Micro Cart.

I've seen this brand at the local discount sporting goods store (Big 5 Sporting Goods). Probably not the best clubs, but as plark mentioned, if you play well with them, it really doesn't matter.
But, if you don't, you may want to look at swapping things out, depending on your budget. I found myself in a similar position this Spring. I eventually replaced my clubs after taking lessons. New clubs = more confidence and probably helped, but the money I spent on lessons has had the most impact.

As a fellow lefty, I know that finding good deals and bargains on clubs is tough, but you can still find a name-brand set of irons, if you know where to look. If you're interested in going down that route, let me know.

Driver: Taylormade Burner 2008 TP
3 Wood: Adams Insight BUL 3W
7 Wood: Callaway Steelhead III 7W
3 Hybrid Cobra Baffler DWS 3H
Irons: Taylormade RAC LT2 3-pw

Wedges: Taylormade RAC 52*, Cleveland CG14 56* Putter: Taylormade Monza Spider Ball TP Red LDP

Well as far as playability goes I do just fine with them. When I don't totally blow the drive(was common with old driver-I hit a lot more fairways with the new driver) I often make par 7-8 times per 18, and on a good day I get a birdie or 2 in there. No eagles yet.. I missed the 10 footer for my first!!

Was just wondering what the thoughts were on these clubs, and if splurging for a new set at my level would be a good investment. Also, I was thinking that if I went ahead and bought a new set I could get them fitted as part of the price, rather than paying to have these fitted. The clubs I have now seem to fit just fine, but again, I'm a newb so I really don't know. I'm 6'3"(35.5" wrist to floor), and I did find it odd that every fitting chart I looked at said I should be playing a standard length club.

In my Slingshot cart bag:
Irons: CCI 4-AW R-Graphite. Alien AG7 3-Hybrid.
Driver: Dual-Point 460 9* S-Fujikura Fit-On E.
Woods: Big Bertha S2H2 3w 5w.
Putter/SW: Alien AG7 Mallet/56*.Cart: Micro Cart.

Note: This thread is 5471 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!