IGNORED

Blades... no not for me!

jamo
Note: This thread is 5365 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I just picked up my first set of blades from the post office. I ordered a set of TaylorMade rac MB TP irons on eBay.

Good call man. I love those irons; look, feel, sound... You can absolutely throw darts once you groove your swing with them. Viva la eBay.

The bag:

Driver: Taylormade R7 Limited (10.5*)
3-wood: Taylormade R7 st (15*)
5-wood: Titleist 909 F2(18.5*)Irons: Taylormade RAC TP MB; Project-X 6.0 (3-PW)Wedges: Vokey Spin-Milled 52.08 Vokey Spin-Milled 58.12Putter: Odyssey White Hot Tour #1 (33")Ball: Titleist ProV1

Unless youre a player that works the ball as a central part of your game, there isnt really much reason to use a blade. IMO, anyway. The only situation where i can see a mid handicap perferring a blade is in some parts of texas or in scotland or something, where the players have to battle the wind all of the time.

My swing is consistant enough to use a blade without much issue, but the one or two that I do miss can destroy my round. If I miss my AP2 irons on the toe, i still get a reasonable result. Miss a blade on the toe, and im lucky if that ball goes 100 feet. There is nothing but dead metal out there.
THE WEAPONS CACHE..

Titleist 909 D2 9.5 Degree Driver| Titleist 906f4 13.5 degree 3-Wood | Titleist 909 17 & 21 degree hybrid | Titleist AP2 irons
Titleist Vokey Wedges - 52 & 58 | Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 Putter | ProV1 Ball

i feel i am a pretty good player.. and i have the 67's in the bag right now, coming off having R7TP's in the bag... honeslty wiht the r7's, my swing felt just loose.. i would try to smash an 8 iron to 175 because if knew i could mishit them... i would never try that with my 67's, they make me think and i like that. i like working the ball with ease, something my r7's dont allow, i like the feel of em, and the look of em. and damnit if i mishit it, i dont care. I didnt make a good swing, i dont want my club to hide that. I messed up, in any other sport everyone would know i messed up. If i mis a shot in lax, everyone sees, if i mishit a shot in golf, i want to be penalized, otherwise why practice if there is no embarresment and penalty?

Totally agree with everything you said there. Same for me.

I play blades for these reason.

Again agreed, except that I like blades in my long irons too, and as I'm not playing to make a living, I will live with the occasional miss. I switch a hybrid in and out with my 3i, but honestly there is nothing sweeter in golf than a pured 3i!
See...i just dont get this argument. No person can tell the difference from my 695 cb compared to the 695 mb when at address.

I know what you're saying for the most part, but I also used to play the 695cb's and they were great clubs, but there is a huge difference in the top line between them and my 681's. It's all about what you get used to or what your eye really likes to see. Now the 695's look clunky to me. Unless my golf deteriorates I can't see stepping away from my blades.

TaylorMade R11S TP Blur 60 X
TayloreMade R11S TP Blur 70 X

Titleist 910H 21&24
Miura Tournament Blades 5-PW DGX100 Tour Issue
Cleveland CG16 52

Miura Black Wedge 56, 60
Newport 2 Teryllium Ten

Titleist ProV1x

So I ask you why do so many high handicappers long for blades, while plenty of low handicappers (me included) seem content with their slight cavity backs?

I always looked at a 6 as being a

mid level handicapp, not "low". Maybe its just me...

I think the cutoff is 5.3

"You can foment revolution or you can cure your slice - life is too short for both" David Owen

WITB*: 2010 winter edition

Driver: AyrtimeFW/hybrid: Distance Master Pro Steel 5w, 7w, 27* hybridIrons: Powerplay 5000 hybrids (6i-SW)Wedge: SMT Durometer 55 degPutter: Z/I Omega mallet*as soon...

I dont have a real handicap, 6 was the average when i made this account. I'm probably closer to a 3-4 now, but again, its just an average.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Oh my goodness. Finally hit my new rac MB TPs, and holy cow!! They feel so nice. So heavy I can actually swing at the ball instead of trying to pick it clean. Gives that nice reassuring "thunk" on good shots. I will definately need to work on my 3-5 play though. Otherwise, Im very happy with these irons, I think it will force me to improve my game instead of just being content with so-so iron play.

R7 460 TP 8.5* Driver
Burner TP 3 wood
r7 Steel 5 wood
rac TP MB with FCM 6.0 shafts #4-PW
rac Fe2O3 52* 8*bounce Spin Milled 56.14* and 60.04* wedges Rossa Corzina putter ProV1x

Note: This thread is 5365 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!