IGNORED

Womens clubs - what height are they generally built for?

Sheekamoo
Note: This thread is 5346 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

My girlfriend is going to buy a set of golf clubs and we're wondering if we should get a petite set (if available) or regular. I know we can always cut down the shaft, but I'm wondering what height most womens clubs are built for? My girlfriend is 5'2" and I think when she does get a set of clubs over the next couple of weeks, we may need to cut them down 1/4 to 1/2".
Irons Callaway X-22 4-9
Wedges Callaway X-22 PW, GW, SW
3 Hybrid Adam's A4 19*
3 Wood Nike Sumo SQ
Putter Odyssey SabertoothBag Ogio Grom

interested in this as well.... conversely my girlfriend is 5'10" so im not sure if we should get her senior mens clubs instead of womens?

What's In My Bag?
Driver : Diablo
3wood : Diablo
Hybrid : 3DX RC Ironwood #3 20*
Irons : j36 cb's Putter : Tour Platinum 7081Ball : TP Black LDPHome Course :Lonnie Poole Golf Course at NC State University 74.7/134Eagle Ridge Golf Club 73.0/131

The wrist to floor measurement is what is important... not the height of the golfer. I am not sure what wrist to floor corresponds with the usual women's set, but you could find out using golfsmith's online fitting thing or contacting the club brand and asking about such info on their off the shelf sets.

example... I am 6'4", but only require clubs 1/2" longer.

Also... just cutting the ends off shafts will change swingweight.

senior clubs are often times good for women... especially if they have larger hands and need mens size grips and/or swing a little harder... my wife could play with senior clubs... she's 5'8" and has good sized hands.
My Clubs: Callaway FT-i Tour LCG 9.5° w/ Matrix Ozik Xcon 6 stiff; Sonartec GS Tour 14° w/ Graphite Design Red Ice 70 stiff; Adams Idea Pro 2h(18°) & 3h(20°) w/ Aldila VS Proto 80 stiff; Adams Idea Pro Forged 4-PW w/ TT Black Gold stiff; Cleveland CG12 DSG RTG 52°-10° & 58°-10°; Odyssey...

Cutting down shafts will also increase increase the stiffness.

That's one reason for the popularity of children's clubs. Back in the 1960s, kids started off with chopped-down adult clubs, which didn't give the benefit of flex. Now, sets are designed specifically for children.

My wife stands 4-foot-10, and back about 1990 we got her a set of Square Two "Lady Petite" irons and woods. These were designed specifically for women 5-foot-2 or less in height. She still likes them, but she's been left behind for technology.

The Wall Street Journal carried an article in 2008 on research by Callaway and others to redesign clubs specifically for women. Some interesting patterns emerged:

Women who are not very tall or above-average in strength have trouble generating clubhead speed. This means that quite a few women only get about 5 or 6 yards difference between traditional clubs, say from 7 iron to 8 iron.

The Callaway Gems sets, which have been around for awhile, are designed for shorter women.

The Gem set handles this by going with a driver and 7-wood, a hybrid, and for irons: 7, 9 and SW. - The three irons have 10º differences in their lofts. The irons also have super flanges on them to get the ball up, and a draw bias to increase distance. (Set includes a chipper and putter, too).

---------------------
Track down the original article.
Product Design (A Special Report); Striking While the Iron's Hot: The goal: a woman's golf club that wasn't like anything else out there; The result: the i-brid
Timothy J. Carroll. Wall Street Journal. (Eastern edition). New York, N.Y.: Jun 23, 2008. pg. R.4
-----------------------

So, both shekamoo and lobsterzilla should get their girlfriends fitted for clubs.

Don't just cut down shafts for shorter players. Get them what they need.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

aww dammit :x my Lady was really excited about the gems set and had pretty much decided on that as the set she wanted. Her being very tall might throw a wrench in her plans.

haha the gems set comes with an odyssey 2 ball ... I'm jealous.

What's In My Bag?
Driver : Diablo
3wood : Diablo
Hybrid : 3DX RC Ironwood #3 20*
Irons : j36 cb's Putter : Tour Platinum 7081Ball : TP Black LDPHome Course :Lonnie Poole Golf Course at NC State University 74.7/134Eagle Ridge Golf Club 73.0/131

My wife is 5'8 and plays Cobra mens senior irons and kills them.She even has a 2 iron on a senior shaft so anything is possible.Let her try the senior shafts they are not much different from the womens but are a lot CHEAPER.For some reason they put WOMEN CLUBS on it and the price skyrockets.

In my new FT carry bag
FT-9 Tour nuetral 9.5
FT-15 degree 3 wood
Fussion Hybrids #2&4
Fussion irons with Grapholoy Pro launch Red shafts56&60 Cally X forged wedges with Red shaftsSG9 putterCally I ballBushnell Meadealist range finder

My girlfriend is going to buy a set of golf clubs and we're wondering if we should get a petite set (if available) or regular. I know we can always cut down the shaft, but I'm wondering what height most womens clubs are built for? My girlfriend is 5'2" and I think when she does get a set of clubs over the next couple of weeks, we may need to cut them down 1/4 to 1/2".

Based on this article, 5'5" to 5'9"

http://www.ehow.com/how_4809546_fit-...ubs-women.html

Craig 

Yeah, wanna make 14 dollars the hard way?

Lobster,
Just because the gems set is aimed at smaller women, doesn't mean that your lady can't/won't be able to use them. Small women will ahve short arms as well so the gems won't be any shorter then standard womens clubs. I know this, I sell these kind of clubs.

Just throwing this out there, but I have a set of Tommy Armour Lady 845s with Graphite shafts that are great and I would be willing to part with. 3-PW.

In an old bag:

Driver Hibore XLS 10.5*
3 Wood V Steel 15*
Hybrid 3DX 20*Irons Ta5 3 - PWWedge CG10 56 degreePutter Classic 1

i'm a girl, 5'5".
i purchased women's x-18's stock two years ago when i was probably 2 inches shorter. they were great for me back then, but they're too short for me now.
i went to get fit last week and i ended up ordering x-22's in senior flex cut down half an inch.

so i'd say... women's clubs are best for women around the 5'3" height?

i'm a girl, 5'5".

Call it good timing, but I'm 5'3

. I bought the Adam's A30s Petite ladies set and actually found them too short. I ended up swapping them for the Ladies A30S regular set and found the length to be pretty spot on. My lower back has issues so I find a slightly more upright stance to be beneficial. I would guess that the A30S Ladies set would fit up to 5'6 and maaaybe 5'7 without any issues. Anyone taller would probably find a men's length better.

Women's A30S Integrated Set (Driver, Irons, Bag)
Fairway Woods: SQ 3,5
Wedge: cg14 60 degree
Putter: Always changing
Ball: Ladies or ProV1Cart: 2.0

Note: This thread is 5346 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!