IGNORED

Golf is easy, no competition

radycardia
Note: This thread is 5349 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Spoken like someone who hasn't got a clue. How can you use that user name when you know so little about the game? Try throwing a 95 mph fastball, then follow it with a 75 mph hook, and do it 100 times every 5th day for 182 games. Or try pegging a runner at home plate from center field. Play a little at 3rd base when a right handed slugger is up. Or just try to cover center field in most major league ball parks. It may not be the steady grind of some sports, but saying that golf is as physically demanding as baseball is ludicrous.

You ASSUME I don't have a clue and you ASSUME I'm not being sarcastic. You also assume that I've never been a a successful professional baseball player on my own merits.

Oh, and I know what it takes to play golf at a high level as well. Alot higher level than my current handicap....

In a navy blue Vintage L8 stand bag
Big Bertha 454
Muirfield 20th 2 iron
Vip Tour CB-92 3-PW
by Macgregor Greg Norman Forged FW Special 55 BeCuTad Moore TM-2 Milled putter AD333/Trispeed

Soccer is extremely physical, and players on any national team are far from cup cakes. Power is very important in soccer but you also have to be able to play two 45 minute halves without stopping. FIFA rules allow 3 substitutions per game, add a stipulation like that to american football and the elite players would shrink considerably.

Americans also "hate" soccer because for most Americans, they only really get to see high level soccer played whenever there's a World Cup. Not for nothing, but MLS is like watching AAA baseball or the WNBA.

9* 2009 Launcher
3W & 5W
3-PW MP-52
56/10 & 60/10 SV Tour Wedges
Dual Force 220 Putter Tour ix

Golf is mostly between the ears and an athletic body does not mean you will be able to play golf. There are some very good large bodies on tour. Just look at Boo, lumpy Herron, big an little Wallrus, etc. Being an athlete may help if you have it between the ears but its not a given.

Driver.... Nickent DX Evolver V2 65 stiff /07 Burner YS6+ stiff .
4 wood..... Nickent 4DX
Hybrids.....Tour Edge Geomax 22* 25* 28*
Irons.....TM R7 6-P + AW,SW,LW
Putter.....Odyssey White Hot XG 2 BallBag.......Callaway ORG 14 A.L.I.C.E. Ball........Bridgestone e6 / Srixon Soft Feel...

Yeah, size has nothing to do with golf. I have a good friend who is about 50 pounds more than me (I'm only 5'8" 115 Pounds), but he rarely drives within 30 yards of me. The reason being I use my muscles more efficiently thus hitting it farther. I hit farther than my Dad (6'2" 185 Pounds) for the same reason. It's not about how big you are, it's about how smart and flexible you are. That's why John Daly hits it so damn far: he has a big advantage with the driver because he is big and flexible, so he gets the best of both worlds.

In my White/Red/Yellow Monza Featherweight Stand Bag:
Driver: 07 Burner 9.5* stiff
3 Wood: 07 Burner 15* stiff
5 Wood: 07 Burner 18* stiff
Irons 4-AW: r7 steel shaft stiffWedges: RAC Satin 56*, 60*Putter: Rossa Daytona 35 InchBall: Bridgestone e7+, Titleist Pro V1Shoes: D3000Glove: ...

ya dude u sound so dumb. me and all my freinds that golf at competitive levels all play many other sport, also at competitive levels.

So not spelling out your words makes a person sound smart? I never knew that I might give it a try! Congrats on the 170 yard pitching wedge, you're such a man! Especially saying that immediately after making a statement about how golf isn't about how strong.

As it's been said, if golf was the number one sport in high school (as opposed to what, seven or eight?) there would be a bunch more Tiger's out there. Sure most of the extra people that took up the sport wouldn't be any better but just with the increased amount of people you're going to get a lot more competition. Throw in most of those being elite athletes and you're sure some of them will have the mental ability as well as the other aspects needed to be an elite golfer. All the thread was about is that there would be more great golfers if the best athletes played, not that golf takes a lot of athletic ability and those that don't have it can't be elite.

In my sack:

Driver: VR STR-8 Fit Tour 10.5 VooDoo stiff
3 wood: 909F2 13.5* stiff Diamana
Hybrid: Rescue 19* stiff3-6: MP 52 S3007-PW: MP 62 S300Wedges: 54-12, 58-8Putter: Newport 2 TeI3

As it's been said, if golf was the number one sport in high school (as opposed to what, seven or eight?) there would be a bunch more Tiger's out there. Sure most of the extra people that took up the sport wouldn't be any better but just with the increased amount of people you're going to get a lot more competition. Throw in most of those being elite athletes and you're sure some of them will have the mental ability as well as the other aspects needed to be an elite golfer.

At least someone gets my point.

I bet if we took a look at all the players on this board, the great majority of those with low handicaps (<5) played a different sport at a competitive level before converting over to golf. Golf is a sport that is tragically discovered too late.

R7 Driver - Stiff Shaft, Neutral Weighting
Burner 3W - Stiff
X18R Irons 4-SW
2ball putter
bagWhatever ball I find on sale, still trying to find a permanent solution.

I've been pretty athletic my whole life and have played a myriad of sports and have gotten decent enough at all of them to be a good choice in a pick up game...football, softball, baseball in high school, basketball, even raquetball and soccer, I can usually hold my own in these thanks to my athleticism. However, when I discovered golf, I quickly found that it's the only sport I've ever played that you seriously have to play or practice everyday if you want to get decent. It's truly a mental and mechanical game and it takes alot of practice to even get amatuer decent. I think that's why even athletic people get turned off by it; when they don't see instant results, which they can get in other sports (thanks to their athletic ability) they are discouraged and stop. It's a sport like no other. If I didn't have the stubborness to try and be good at everything I would have quit by now, haha.

In My Bag:

Driver: HiBore XLS 10.5º (Fujikara Fit-on M Gold R Flex)
3-Wood: HiBore XLS 15º (Fujikara Fit-on M Gold R Flex)
5-Wood: S2 Straightneck 19º (Fujikara Fit-On Max 65 FW Stiff)Irons: HiBore XLi 3-PW (Fujikara Fit-on M Red S Flex)Wedges: CG14 Chrome 56º SW/60º LWPutter: ...

A lot of the reason why golf has a more limited athlete pool is the lack of accessibility. Although it's better today, economically disadvantaged kids don't play golf.

It's true that football, baseball, and basketball attract the best athletes in America, but better athletes are concentrating on golf these days.

Driver= Titleist 909D3 9.5 deg
3 Wood= Titleist 909F3 15 deg
Hybrid= Adams Idea Pro Black 19 deg
Irons 3-P= Titleist 695 CB
Wedges= Titleist Vokey Spin Mill 54/10, 60/4Putter= Titleist Scotty Cameron Newport 1.5Ball= Titleist ProV1x, NXT Tour

My favorite so far "all golfers have hot wives"...

Almost any professional athlete can get a hot wife because of their status..

"hitting a baseball is easy"

Yes, in little league it was.. Glad we got your input.

One of the main reasons I think kids play other sports when they are young is because they have this energy and it's this part of your life when you CAN play these sports.

You can't be 55 and decide I want to go play football or baseball. You can for golf.

Sumo 10.5*
R7 Draw 15* 3W
3dx 17* 2H
Pi5 3-PW
Spin Milled Vokey 54* CG11 60* C-01

Note: This thread is 5349 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!