IGNORED

Utility clubs?

Note: This thread is 6489 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I've always, as far back as I can remember, have had and used utility clubs for getting out of trouble (under low limbs or up against brush etc) and for fairway shots. I have a bulbous back 1 iron and a low profile 15 degree fairway wood called a Flying Saucer. The one iron is great for those low shots under tree limbs and hacking out of brush trouble etc and the fairway low profile wood is one I can hit 220 to 230. I have no idea who makes the Flying Saucer but the 1 iron (it has Driving iron) written on the back and is made by Taylor Made I believe. Anyone else use utility clubs?

Golf is not a game, it's a way of life!

Driver...Cubic Balance offset
Fairway wood......Flying Saucer
3-Wood....Cleveland LauncherIrons.......Callaway Great Big Bertha w/graphite shaftswedges....Cleveland sand wedge, Callaway Lob wedge putter....Claveland VAS.

I have tried them, but was not very successful with them. I tried out a buddy's 5 hybrid, but hit it about 20yds shorter than my 5 iron. Perhaps if I found the right one, I would try it. I only carry a driver and a 5 wood, then start with a 3 iron, down. I do carry 4 wedges though. PW, 52, 56, 60. I had to drop a long iron or wood to keep below 14 clubs. I seldom used the 3 wood, so I dropped it out of the bag. It has worked well for me. I can draw the 5 wood and get close to 3 wood distance, or open it up and hit a cut to shave about 15 yds off it. Works out pretty well.

Roy McEvoy is my hero.

In My bag
TM Burner 9.5 S Flex

Wilson Invex Strong 3 and 5 wood

Maxfli Revolution 3-PW Irons

Cleveland 54/60 wedges

Odessey XG #7 Putter

I'm moving this to the Equipment forum where it belongs. That way, it will get a little more attention.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Rembrandt, I basically do the same thing. I can work my four wood more easily, especially high, or a soft fade. The seven wood is better for me out of the rough than a hybrid. I then can carry 4 wedges which plays to my strength.

1W Cleveland LauncherComp 10.5, 3W Touredge Exotics 15 deg.,FY Wilson 19.5 degree
4 and 5H, 6I-GW Callaway Razr, SW, LW Cleveland Cg-14, Putter Taylor Made Suzuka, Ball, Srixon XV Yellow

Rembrandt, I basically do the same thing. I can work my four wood more easily, especially high, or a soft fade. The seven wood is better for me out of the rough than a hybrid. I then can carry 4 wedges which plays to my strength.

I only have two wedges right now but in the process of getting a "L" wedge to go with my Great Big Berthas. I understand they didn't make many of those and they are rare. I may have to get a 5 wood for those shots that give me fits at 160 to 180 yds. I'm having trouble right now, and I think it's because I can't fire my hip thru my shots as yet due to the surgery, but I can't reach the 150 to 180 yarders with my 5 iron. It's like a nightmare.

Golf is not a game, it's a way of life!

Driver...Cubic Balance offset
Fairway wood......Flying Saucer
3-Wood....Cleveland LauncherIrons.......Callaway Great Big Bertha w/graphite shaftswedges....Cleveland sand wedge, Callaway Lob wedge putter....Claveland VAS.

I started using a 3 Iron Hybrid last year and love it. I can hit it out of the rough, off the tee or in the fairway. It is much easier to hit than my 3 or 4 irons. I also added a 2 Iron Hybrid this year. It is more of a specialty club. There are a few long par threes that I play regularly and this club is just about perfect for them. There are a few more holes where I am using it off the tee on par 4's that don't fit the ball flight(fade) of my driver. I tend to draw this club.
Driver: 9.5° 905R Stiff Aldila NV 65
3 Wood: 15.° Pro Trajectory 906F4 Stiff Aldila VS Proto Blue
Hybrid: 19.0° 503 H Stiff Dynamic Gold S400
Hybrid: 21.0° Edge C.F.T. Ti Stiff Aldila NVS
Irons: 775cb 4-GW w/S300 Sand Wedge: Vokey 58° Puttter: Laguna Mid-Slant Pro PlatinumBall: ProV1Bag: Li...

Note: This thread is 6489 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!