IGNORED

Help with 56 and 60 degree wedges

Note: This thread is 6481 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I like Vokey wedges - I've had them for a # of years. I just made the following changes based on the understanding that these clubs would help with tight lies.

Vokey 56/14 (Black nickel) was replaced with an Oilcan/SM 56/10

Vokey 60/08 was replaced with a Oilcan/SM 60/04

The major issue is with the sand wedge. After my putter, it is the most used club. I use it from greenside bunkers, for chipping around the greens, etc. For the past two rounds, with the same stroke, I am coming up short of the target when I chip greenside. Also, my bunker shots (same swing) are coming up short of the hole.

Can anyone explain to me how the reduced bounce is affecting my shots, and what I can do to compensate? Could it be something else besides the reduced bounce?

Thanks!

WITB: Driver: Titleist 910 D2 10.5 R / 5 Wood: r7 ti / Irons: Ping G15 Steel R (3-P, U), / Wedges: Vokey SM4 56/11 SM4 60/07 / Putter: Scotty GoLo 33" / Ball: Titleist Velocity / Shoes: Adidas Tour 360 4.0 / GPS: SG3

Goingforthegreen,

With reduced bounce, you are likely taking more sand than you are used to.

As far as chipping, it might be that you are digging the club into the ground.

All these things can be alleviated by adding bounce to the club by opening it wider. Also, you are a textbook candidate for a P grind on your sand wedge.

Take it to a clubmaker and have them grind off a channel in the sole of the club. That way the club will play with low bounce when square, and high bounce when open.

...The major issue is with the sand wedge. After my putter, it is the most used club. I use it from greenside bunkers, for chipping around the greens, etc. For the past two rounds, with the same stroke, I am coming up short of the target when I chip greenside. Also, my bunker shots (same swing) are coming up short of the hole.

I play with people who are constantly chipping with a sand wedge or PW around the greens and coming up short. The right club depends on the lie and how much green you have to work with, but I almost never chip with anything more lofted than a gap wedge. Most of the time it is a choice between the 8, 9 or PW, as long as I have some green to work with. Chipping with less loft allows you to carry the ball a more predictable distance and roll it to the hole. The pros often say they use the lowest loft that will carry onto the green. i.e., Jack's most famous chip-in at Augusta was with a 6 iron.

Can anyone explain to me how the reduced bounce is affecting my shots, and what I can do to compensate? Could it be something else besides the reduced bounce?

I use two low bounce wedges, but I use a standard bounce on the sand wedge. I have a low bounce sand wedge, but it digs into the sand too much under normal conditions. In soft sand or light rough the added bounce helps the club get up once it is under the ball. If I am playing a course with really tight lies around the greens and/or hard packed sand conditions, I'll carry the low bounce SW.

The longer sand shots are the most difficult. It depends on the sand conditions, the speed of your swing and the amount of sand you are taking with the club before you hit the ball. I generally know how far I can hit a "blast" out of a greenside bunker. If I need more carry I use a GW or PW, or take less sand. If you have a place to practice, you can get comfortable with clubs other than the SW in a bunker. Pelz also recommends that you consider picking the ball off the sand with a club that will pitch the ball onto the green, if conditions allow for it.

I just bought a Great Big Bertha "L" wedge and they are rare I understand. Anyway. I haven't hit it yet but just might try it out tomorrow.

Golf is not a game, it's a way of life!

Driver...Cubic Balance offset
Fairway wood......Flying Saucer
3-Wood....Cleveland LauncherIrons.......Callaway Great Big Bertha w/graphite shaftswedges....Cleveland sand wedge, Callaway Lob wedge putter....Claveland VAS.

Note: This thread is 6481 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!