IGNORED

shortening putter shaft?

Note: This thread is 6488 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

just curious what you all think. why cut your shaft when you can just choke down a bit on the grip? i use a conventional putting grip and my lead hand (left hand) about 1/2" lower than the butt. any advantages to actually getting it cut?

905R 9.5* Fujikura Speeder
200 steel 3 wood
200 steel 5 wood
690.CB 3-PW
56* 14 Pro Platinum Newport 2 Pro V1 B330-S

I had a customer come to me after he cut his putter shaft down. He told me it didnt feel right anymore and asked me to add some weight to the grip to make it feel like it did before he cut it down.. See the putter is such a personal choice, its all about what YOU think and feel..

hope this helps..

Driver: Taylor Made R7 425 9.5° TP Stiff
Fairway: Taylor Made V-Steel #3 w/Fujikura Rombax Stiff
Irons: Taylor Made rac LT 4-PW shaft; Rifle Flighted 6.0
Wedges: Tayor Made rac 52° 56° 60°Utility: Taylor Made Rescue TP #3 (Aldila NV Hybid 85g Stiff)Putter: Scotty...

• Administrator
I had a customer come to me after he cut his putter shaft down. He told me it didnt feel right anymore and asked me to add some weight to the grip to make it feel like it did before he cut it down.. See the putter is such a personal choice, its all about what YOU think and feel..

Hmm...normally when you cut a putter down, you want to increase the head weight.

Witness Scotty Cameron's methods: 33": 350g 34": 340g 35": 330g

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I choked down for a long time, but it got so my left hand (I putt left hand low) was about half on the steel, which I don't think helped my grip or touch. So I've gone to a shorter shaft so that my hand is on the bottom of the grip instead.

As Erik said, you need to be careful about weight if you cut down a putter. In general, you need to add 10 grams of weight to the head for every inch you cut off the shaft.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend.
Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.
--Groucho Marx

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Hmm...normally when you cut a putter down, you want to increase the head weight.

very true however he had weight added to the head to make it really heavy. To tell you the truth I myself could never use that putter it felt so strange, but I have to do what the customer wants..

Driver: Taylor Made R7 425 9.5° TP Stiff
Fairway: Taylor Made V-Steel #3 w/Fujikura Rombax Stiff
Irons: Taylor Made rac LT 4-PW shaft; Rifle Flighted 6.0
Wedges: Tayor Made rac 52° 56° 60°Utility: Taylor Made Rescue TP #3 (Aldila NV Hybid 85g Stiff)Putter: Scotty...

Note: This thread is 6488 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!