IGNORED

Music...the good, bad, and the ugly

Lefty2380
Note: This thread is 6448 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

So when i play alone i usually play with my MP3 player blasting my eardrums to near deaf levels. I do this for a few reasons...

1-its relaxing
2-it helps me to keep my head out of the bad shot mindset
3-it helps in that when i play with others or in general, i learn to ignore interference that might mess up your normal player

So here is a list of bands i like...you can list yours if you want too, i guess thats what i intended this thread to be...but it doesnt have to be music you listen to on the golf course, it can be music in general...

Nirvana, Hendrix, Stevie Ray Vaughn, Stone Temple Piloyts, Rage Against the Macine, Pearl Jam, Audioslace, 311, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Incubus, and Bush...only the best for me

In My Bag:
Driver: Callaway Big Bertha Ti 454 9*
3 wood: Taylor Made 300 series
5 wood: Orlimar trimetal
Irons: Taylor Made 360 seriesWedges: Cleveland 56*, Tommy Armor 60*Putter: Carbite center shaft

I agree with some of those bands

but recently (within the last year) I have discovered heavy metal to be very relaxing... bands such as Trivium, As I Lay Dying, Lamb of God, Atreyu, Drowning Pool, and Killswitch Engage... just to name a few... call me insane... but it truely is relaxing if you pick out the good

but I love my classic rock... Led Zeppelin being on top of that list... I wont get caught dead listning to rap... and that pop stuff that people call music.... and EMO music... that just gets a wow... I mean thats cool... write a song about cutting yourself... your cool

my peers are all doomed if they keep going down the track that they are traveling... because the music just sucks... to state it simply

we had one really decent chance going for us... but Cobain committed suicide...

too bad

907D2 9.5º Proforce V2 85 Stiff
904F 15º stiff Speeder Shaft
735.CM Chrome 2-P
Spin-Milled Vokeys Tour Chrome 54.10/60.04
Studio Style Newport 2.5 Black X66 Stand Bag Pro V1

i think i found my twin!

cobain...hero of mine...but i have begun to listen to some heavier stuff...Rage Against the Machine is pretty heavy but the words flow so well...i just love it...i play a lot of guitar when not golfing so i guess its inherent that i like the guitar gods...

In My Bag:
Irons: Taylor Made 360 seriesWedges: Cleveland 56*, Tommy Armor 60*Putter: Carbite center shaft

I was thinking about bringing up this topic, but never got around to it. Just curious to see where a group as diverse as this one (yet with only one true common thread) stands when it comes to music.

Me, I'm all over the place, music-wise. I'm too old to get into the super-obscure stuff anymore (it becomes a full-time job keeping up with it). I stick with what I know and what I like. Too tired to go looking for it.

Stuff I like: The Cure, Led Zep, NWA, Muse, Tupac, ason/serbus/actual facts (my brothers), Biggie, Depeche Mode (Black Celebration album), The Smiths (Queen is Dead album), Brand Nubian, Lush, Blackalicious, Dixie Chicks, Latryx, DJ Shadow, Nirvana, Poor Righteous Teachers, Harry Connick Jr (We Are In Love album), Winton Marsalis, Smashing Pumpkins (Siamese Dream), Beastie Boys (anything but License to Ill), Skynyrd, Pearl Jam, Jurassic 5, Norah Jones, Roy Hargrove (Tokyo Sessions), Wu Tang (36 Chambers), Junior Mafia, Oasis, Sugarland (Twice the Speed of Life), The Breeders, Das EFX, Pixies, Bob Mould, The Roots, XTC, Earth Wind & Fire, The Go-Go's, Cocteau Twins, Portishead, any band Johnny Marr's associated with, and Sneaker Pimps.

To name a few, anyway.

"I played like shit." -Greg Norman after the '96 Masters.

i would call that diverse...wow haha
i like a lot of those bads as well, but the rap in there is your demise (im ny opinion of course, its not ACTUALLY going to get you shot 9 times like 50 cent...). The Beastie Boys are amazing, they're the only "rap" group I listen to, and even now they are moving away from it...but overall, I give that list a B...quality mixed with rap is a different, sort of weird combination...do you think Jimmy Page would enjoy some Tupac from time to time? doubt it hahaha

In My Bag:

do you think Jimmy Page would enjoy some Tupac from time to time? doubt it hahaha

No, but apparently he didn't have a problem selling the Kashmir riff to Puff Daddy (who is most decidedly not on my list) for Poof Doody's "Come With Me."

About the hip hop -- musical taste comes directly from a person's environment. As a teenager, it's natural to adopt the musical taste of your friends and influences. Growing up in California in the 80's, I got equal parts of Fishbone, Primus and Eazy-E. That's why so many artists from out there ended up creating this hybrid of different influences. You only need to see guys like Beck, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Sublime, Rage Against The Machine, Korn, Cake, Faith No More, etc. to notice their obvious mixture of skate punk, metal, funk, and hip hop. I do not acknowledge those of the 50-cent ilk. Completely derivative of every bad cliche out there, they've managed to strip out anything that was good about hip hop and turn it into commercial crap. True hip hop is more rock and roll than you may think: one listen to Public Enemy's "It Takes A Nation of Millions To Hold Us Back" will tell you that.

"I played like shit." -Greg Norman after the '96 Masters.

agreed, bands form the so-cal region have heavily influenced the west cost modern scene, and it was bands from underground seattle that did it before them...the surge of punk rock emo crap is in Jersey right now, which is where it belongs...the armpit of the nation...anyways all the bands you listed are ones i love, so i guess ive got 2 twins...this is getting to be good!

In My Bag:

I think I read somewhere, that in a USGA Junior tournament the ipods were deemed illegal and kids who had them on couldn't listen to music during the competition. I don't recall seeing a USGA rule about it, might have been a local rule...

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

... is in Jersey right now, which is where it belongs...the armpit of the nation...

hey, hey, easy now. Not everybody gets to choose where to live

haha Im 18 and i dont get to choose either...
I'm just not a fan of NJ when i drive through it because everyone there is aweful to you both on the road and off...just not a fan i guess...

In My Bag:

haha Im 18 and i dont get to choose either...

off the road? Agree. On the road? From my personal experience I'd put California on top of retarded drivers and Florida takes the cake for most dangerous (might have something to do with avg. driver age of 87

). As far as aggressive driving - I think NY is worse than NJ... oh well, at least we have tons of nice golf courses here

That's not true! Jimmy Hoffa was found in Boston after all

I thought he was in the endzone at the Meadowlands. Or a under a barn in Michigan. Or in the pond in my backyard. Or . . .

Alan Olson

Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!
Check out our Facebook page!

• 3 weeks later...
Note: This thread is 6448 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!