IGNORED

first Scotty Cameron

shakogolfer78
Note:Β This thread is 3916 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!

I might have the funniest "First Scotty Cameron" story around...

Last year on Spring Break I was skiing in Iowa and after a long day we all went to a local Mexican restaurant. After who knows how many margaritas the rest of the night is now extremely fuzzy.

Around 10:00 AM the next morning i am fast asleep with no intention of getting up before noon when i get a phone call, which went something like this...

"Hey Nathaniel! This is Johnny with golfballs.com calling about your order that was placed last night."

My response... What is this guy talking about?

"Yeah, it seams we have an issue with the Scotty Cameron Putter you ordered. In that particular left handed model we do not currently offer the heavy version in that length."

At this i was now extremely confused, being that i am RIGHT HANDED.

Long story short, i switched the order to the right handed Studio Select Squareback heavy model and it arrived back home a week later. Love the putter and am glad that i finally ordered one .

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My first scotty is the one i currently use. Studio select mid-slant. I had been using ping ansers since i picked up the game. Besides some glare issues i have with it, im glad i purchased my scotty. The feel and balance is much better, but i think i could putted similar with the pings i were using. I viewed it as more of a gift to myself than anything else. If you take putting seriously, then i think you owe yourself a serious wand..lol.
THE WEAPONS CACHE..

Titleist 909 D2 9.5 Degree Driver| Titleist 906f4 13.5 degree 3-Wood | Titleist 909 17 & 21 degree hybrid | Titleist AP2 irons
Titleist Vokey Wedges - 52 & 58 | Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 Putter | ProV1 Ball

My first Scotty Cameron was a TeI3 Newport 2 that I bought when I was still in high school. I saved up all my money one summer because I just had to have it. I bought it and used it up until I went off to college. From then on, it sat in my parent's garage. This past Thansgiving when I was back at their house, I went through the garage and found it; it was completely rusted, the grip are falling apart, and the shaftband was barely attached. For a Christmas gift this year from my wife, I sent it off the the Custom Shop to be completely restored. It's still there as we speak, and I should have it back hoepfully in the next few weeks.

Why would you post a picture of an Odyssey putter in a Cameron story post?

I know you think that makes you seem knowledgeable, but it couldn't be further from the truth. That is right up there with the infamous "I could putt with a brick on a stick" comment.

Agreed. I know I'm a bit late here, but this thread was created in order to discuss Scotty Cameron putters. It's not about Odyssey putters; or whether SC putters represent value for money or whether we might all be better off discarding green reading for rain dancing and putting with pool cues.

Why do people respond to questions that they do not know the answer to?

Agreed. And yep, the part about GSS is correct. Scotty Cameron briefly discusses the use of GSS in his tour putters here:

http://blogs.golf.com/equipment/2009...y-cameron.html . The whole interview is an interesting read, I think. For a long time, I've played the Wilson 8802 and Cleveland "Designed By" shapes. My first Scotty was therefore a left-handed American Classic VII. I have a California Napa on the way too, which will go in my bag as soon as it arrives -- well, after I cut the shaft down a half inch!
Current setup:
Titleist 909D2 9.5Β°, Diamana Blue Stiff | Titleist 909F2 15.5Β°, Diamana Blue Stiff | Mizuno MP-57 3-P, Nippon NS Pro 1050GH Stiff | Titleist Vokey SM 54.11, 60.07 | Scotty Cameron ACVII / Napa California | Titleist Pro V1X

For a long time, I've played the Wilson 8802 and Cleveland "Designed By" shapes. My first Scotty was therefore a left-handed American Classic VII. I have a California Napa on the way too, which will go in my bag as soon as it arrives -- well, after I cut the shaft down a half inch!

You will absolutely lovie it. I've had one for two months now and have to say it is by far the sweetest feeling, best looking "Arnold Pamer style" putter I have ever seen.

My Tools of Ignorance:

Driver:Β Ping I20Β 9.5*
Woods/Hybrids: Cobra AMP 3W and 3 HY

Irons: Cobra AMP 4-GW

Wedges: Callaway Forged Copper 56* and 60*

Putters: Scotty CameronΒ  35" (Several of the flow neck blade variety)

Ball: Bridgestone B330-RX andΒ Srixon Z-Star

Bag: Nike Performance Carry

• 3 years later...

I've never understood what makes a putter worth so much. Assuming the putter is straight any putter does the same job does it not? Not bashing on anyone for paying that for one of these putters, as I would have the best of everything if I had the money, I'm just curious.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon:Β Z355

:callaway:Β XR16 3 Wood
:tmade:Β AeroburnerΒ 19* 3 hybrid
:ping:Β I e1 ironsΒ 4-PW
:vokey:Β SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff:Β Harmonized Sole GrindΒ 56 andΒ Windy City Putter

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Wanted one for years, but couldn't justify the cost. My brothers chipped in together and bought it for my 40th birthday! Love playing it. Distance control is excellent.

Driver: TM r9 Driver Motore F1 65 Stiff
Woods: TM r5 Dual 3 Fairway Wood Stiff, TM Mid Rescue 3H Regular
Irons: TM r7 Irons 4-AW Regular
Wedges: Cleveland DSG 588 56/14, Callaway X Series Jaws 58/8
Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2

Originally Posted by Jeremie Boop

I've never understood what makes a putter worth so much. Assuming the putter is straight any putter does the same job does it not? Not bashing on anyone for paying that for one of these putters, as I would have the best of everything if I had the money, I'm just curious.

The same reason that people buy Ferrari's and Aston Martin's when a Honda will get them to work all the same.

Tyler Martin

Originally Posted by geauxforbroke

The same reason that people buy Ferrari's and Aston Martin's when a Honda will get them to work all the same.

That is not a fair comparison. Ferraris and Aston Martins are noticeably superior to Hondas.

OTR Cameron putters are comparable to virtually any other top of the line OEM putter.

They are mass produced object pumped out in factories by the thousand. They just call their factory a "studio". It's a marketing ploy. And it works.

If the owner of a Cameron feels good about their purchase - that's grert. But let's not pretenmd that there are any differences between them and a dozen other manufacturers' products.

As for the comment about "feel" - again, totally subjective and not a function of the brand.

BTW - Notice how many former SC pros are now playing Odyssey Versa putters? Funny that.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

Β 

Β 

Originally Posted by Shorty

Quote:

That is not a fair comparison. Ferraris and Aston Martins are noticeably superior to Hondas.

And a SC is noticeably superior to a $12 putter from Wal-Mart. Fair comparison, I'd say.

Tyler Martin

And a SC is noticeably superior to a $12 putter from Wal-Mart. Fair comparison, I'd say.

Who's talking about them?

I said top of the line OEM - Yes, Ping, Odyssey, TM, Cleveland, Mizuno, Bettinardi, Piretti, Edel etc. etc.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

Β 

Β 

Originally Posted by Shorty

Quote:

Who's talking about them?

I said top of the line OEM - Yes, Ping, Odyssey, TM, Cleveland, Mizuno, Bettinardi, Piretti, Edel etc. etc.

My analogy came before you came along talking about other top of the line OEM's. A previous member said he didn't understand why people bought SC when anything straight would work. Therefore, my analogy was in line.

Tyler Martin

Disagree. The SC putters are designed to give you more feel from the ball. It all starts with a solid block of 303 and becomes a piece of art that is functional as a putter. Sure, I may be more inclined to take a SC over ANY other putter, but that's because to me, and the majority of tour players, SC is the best out there. And don't start that "Scottty pays players to use his stuff" mess. When it comes to getting a tour win, your putter is chosen by what you have confidence in, not which one will pay you a few grand a tournament. All of this on a thread that was started to talk about our "first SC." To wrap-up, I do believe a putter is a personal choice. However, I also believe that SC has enough options that anyone could find a style they like. Some would just rather spend their money on a club they swing a dozen times off the tee box instead of a club that probably accounts for 30+ strokes a round.

Disagree. The SC putters are designed to give you more feel from the ball.

I've played SC putters for something like 15 years and currently own 2, but I've got to admit, I don't have any idea what you mean by that!

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;Β  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;Β  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's; Β 56-14 F grind andΒ 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty CameronΒ Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Note:Β This thread is 3916 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!