IGNORED

Your favorite course in Orlando

Doctorfro
Note: This thread is 4979 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Looking to play some in Orlando in mid/late January. Want to play courses that are nice layouts, good condition, no gimmicks and don't cost mega $$$. Although if I found a great course I don't mind paying for at least one like that. There's so much info and so many reviews online I don't what to trust. Need your input. Thanks!

Both courses at Orange County National by far
Bag: Three Five Yellow
Driver: 905R 9.5 Degree, Fujikawa Shaft Shift
3-Wood: Sumo2 15 degree
Hybrids 19 and 21 degree
Irons tour x-20 (5-PW)Wedges vokey 52.08,56.14, 60.04Putter circa 62 #1: Pro V1Where I usually play: Rush Creek

Hunters Creek and Orange County National are my favorite courses in Orlando. But the OCN courses are not cheap. You can play Hunters creek for around 50 bucks, i think. So thats why it gets the edge, and its a good course to boot. I also like the price/course ratio at Royal St Cloud if you want to travel outside of orlando some.
THE WEAPONS CACHE..

Titleist 909 D2 9.5 Degree Driver| Titleist 906f4 13.5 degree 3-Wood | Titleist 909 17 & 21 degree hybrid | Titleist AP2 irons
Titleist Vokey Wedges - 52 & 58 | Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 Putter | ProV1 Ball

As of now we are slated to play Osprey Ridge (Disney....we played it once before and really liked it. That's our warmup round), then we are thinking of playing Grand Cypress (36...New course and North/South) and then I need to fill in the last day. I'm actually not completely sold on doing GC. OCN has been on my radar but I've read some negative things. But that's what I mean about not trusting online reviews. I read a bad review about Osprey Ridge but it was that play was too slow and it took them four and half hours to play......seriously? If you're playing a nice course and it's busy and you finish in 4.5, feel fortunate! So that's why I am asking my Sand Trap brethren for their valued opinion. Thanks so far!

If you are willing to drive 30 minutes north of Orlando, Sugarloaf Mountain is the place to play. Deltona, Victoria Hills and Timacuan are also excellent and not too expensive. I really like Harmony Preserve which is is Southeast and Southern Dunes in Haines City. These are all less expensive than Disney or Grand Cypress. I prefer all of these to Grand Cypress. Others have already mentioned OC National. If green fees are not an issue, the three courses at Reunion are nice.

Here is a link to my favorite courses in Orlando and links to photos of the courses that will give you an idea of what they are like.

http://golfcourses.weebly.com/orlando-fl.html

Live here, play here all the time. Orange County National, can't go wrong with either course. Sugarloaf is a great layout, but tough to get to and conditions are suffering. Harmony, again tough to get to, nice course, but not worth the effort. The International at Championsgate is nice, so is Mystic Dunes. Metrowest near Universal Studios is always great. Hope this helps.

Appreciate feedback so far. What I have discovered is that after January 15 green fees skyrocket. Poor timing but gotta go when I can. Trying to play golf within cab ride of hotel to keep expenses down but it won't help much. It'll be good no matter what.

Kissimmee Bay and Remington are pretty nice courses. They're right next to each other and they're Family owned by the same people, so the staff is pretty nice and the owners are around a lot. Price is similar to Hunters Creek, but the Conditions are some of the nicest this side of town. Gotta LOVE their ALL YOU CAN too!!!!!

Remmington is a very good choice south of Orlando and this time of year they have an all you can play rate which beats just about any where in Central florida this time of year. One other one is Lake Orlando, not the best by far , tough, narrow and very busy because it's $35.00 for the first round and then $10.00 for a re-play. Best deal in Central Florida , but not the best course.

Thomas " Hitman" Heitman

Found ••••••••••••• not long ago. Think we're set now. Playing Osprey ridge (at 2:00). We'll be pushing daylight but should get it in. The "twilight" rate was too good to pass up. Spending the day at Grand Cypress the next day. Not cheap but not over the top for two rounds. The last day we booked the new Waldorf Astoria. From what I'm hearing it's supposed to be excellent. Not a great rate but I'm resigned to it unless I find a great rate on something not too far from the resort. Don't really want to be traveling all over the place while I'm there and I don't want to play a crappy/marginal course just because it's cheap.

Ok, get this: My wife starts looking at rental cars thinking maybe they could be an option to trying to use the Disney transpo and taxi cabs. Nothing cheap. She then decides on a whim to check out priceline.com. We look at it and decide "what the heck". If they don't accept our bid, no sweat. We put in a bid of $10 a day for a midsize rental car............they accept!! For $2 more per day I can have a full size car or an SUV. Go figure! Probably saved money from using taxis. Don't feel so bad about the greens fees now.

Will def do a review on Waldorf. We're supposed to play North/South in the aft Thursday. Excited. This cold weather is really getting me geared for the trip.

As of now we are slated to play Osprey Ridge (Disney....we played it once before and really liked it. That's our warmup round), then we are thinking of playing Grand Cypress (36...New course and North/South) and then I need to fill in the last day. I'm actually not completely sold on doing GC. OCN has been on my radar but I've read some negative things. But that's what I mean about not trusting online reviews. I read a bad review about Osprey Ridge but it was that play was too slow and it took them four and half hours to play......seriously? If you're playing a nice course and it's busy and you finish in 4.5, feel fortunate! So that's why I am asking my Sand Trap brethren for their valued opinion. Thanks so far!

i live down in orlando now, i personally do not care too much for Osprey Ride at Disney, it's in good shape but the greens roll at about a 6 and they are very grainy. To me it is a real turn off for the course and it ruins a good layout. If you are looking for a good course, definitely play the New Course and one of the others at Grand Cypress. I just played both Courses at Orange County National on monday and they are in very good condition and the pace of play was in great condition. It will run you $70 per 18 there but in my opinion it was the best $140 i spent in a while. Do yourself a favor and play atleast one of the Champion's Gate courses. They have two 18's the National and the International, i have played both and treat yourself to the International. It is a greg norman design, and it is challenging yet fair with if you are accurate.

In my Diablo Edge Tour/ Titliest Stand Bag:
Driver: Nike VR Pro 8.5* w/ Myazaki 43g X
3 Wood: Nike VR Pro II 13.5* w/ Diamana Whiteboard 83g X
5 Wood: Cobra S9-1 Pro 18* w/ Diamana Whiteboard 83g X

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 21* w/ Prolaunch Red X
Irons: 4-7 Titleist 712 CB, 8-9 712 MB w/ TT Dynamic Gold X100

Wedges: 46* Vokey SM4, 54* Vokey SM4, 60* TMade ATV

Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Belly 43"

CHANGE OF PLANS! After considering the condition of the courses in Florida due to all the frost, I decided not to play at Waldorf Astoria and Osprey Ridge. I am still going to Grand Cypress but it will be bookended by rounds at OCN. Decent rates (not cheap) to where I am saving $$. Hopefully the courses will be back to normal next winter and we'll try some different places. Stoked! Tired of this winter crap.

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to follow up and say thanks to those of you who put in your two cents. Just got back and had a good time in pretty good weather (much better than home). OCN Crooked Cat was a nice, fun, and challenging layout (played from the next to back tees). A little brown from the recent frosts, it was a good place to start. The only drawback was the conditions of the greens. Very grainy and rough. Was paired with some locals who play there frequently and they were appalled by the condition. Next day we played at Grand Cypress New Course. With some early cloud cover and a bit windy, I really felt like I was in Scotland. Fun place to play. Really enjoyed the layout and the conditions were pretty darn good (played from the tips). I'd love to see the place in warmer seasons with the whole place green. The wind made it a major challenge but I birdied three of the four par fives and had my best round in a while. We were pressed for time and didn't get in another 18 but we did play another 9. We played the east course and the wind just continued to blow. It was a great challenge and we suffered scoring wise but still great fun. Look forward to going back there to try out the rest of the course. We switched up last day and went back to Osprey Ridge. Unfortunately it monsooned over night and the course was a swamp. We still played from the championship tees and scored well considering. Pace of play was extremely slow and the greens were running about a 3 on the stimp. But we will look forward to our next trip there to try some of the other great courses.

I was there about 7 years ago and I remember playing Metro West, which was decent and some Disney course - I think it was Osprey Ridge.

In a staff blue  Aerolite III

Razr Hawk 10.5* (BB 63 S)
Orig Steelhead 4W 16.8* (F)
Orig Steelhead 7W 20* (M-10)

JPX-800 Pro 4-pw (XP S300)

MP-T Blk Ni 51.06, MP-T Blk Ni 56.14, MP-T Blk Ni 58.10

Bettinardi BC-1 (34")

TM TP Black

Just wanted to follow up and say thanks to those of you who put in your two cents. Just got back and had a good time in pretty good weather (much better than home). OCN Crooked Cat was a nice, fun, and challenging layout (played from the next to back tees). A little brown from the recent frosts, it was a good place to start. The only drawback was the conditions of the greens. Very grainy and rough. Was paired with some locals who play there frequently and they were appalled by the condition. Next day we played at Grand Cypress New Course. With some early cloud cover and a bit windy, I really felt like I was in Scotland. Fun place to play. Really enjoyed the layout and the conditions were pretty darn good (played from the tips). I'd love to see the place in warmer seasons with the whole place green. The wind made it a major challenge but I birdied three of the four par fives and had my best round in a while. We were pressed for time and didn't get in another 18 but we did play another 9. We played the east course and the wind just continued to blow. It was a great challenge and we suffered scoring wise but still great fun. Look forward to going back there to try out the rest of the course. We switched up last day and went back to Osprey Ridge. Unfortunately it monsooned over night and the course was a swamp. We still played from the championship tees and scored well considering. Pace of play was extremely slow and the greens were running about a 3 on the stimp. But we will look forward to our next trip there to try some of the other great courses.

I am surprised to hear OCN being in rough shape. However, I haven't been out there in a few months. They usually are very well maintained. Sounds like you had some fun though...............

R9 460 9.5
R9 3-Wood
Irons AP1 4-PW
Wedge X-Forged 62*, 56*, 50*
Studio Select 34" MS Newport 2 TP Red

I am surprised to hear OCN being in rough shape. However, I haven't been out there in a few months. They usually are very well maintained. Sounds like you had some fun though...............

It was fun and OCN was a good course overall. It was just hard to make putts on those greens. Frankly, I have played on much worse but the guys we played with assured me that it was not the norm. I'm sure they will improve with the weather and time. But the staff there is excellent and I hope to go back in the future.

Note: This thread is 4979 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!