IGNORED

Help!! Need some Driver assistance.

Note: This thread is 7001 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I am a 12 handicaper, in need of some driver recommendations. I am looking for a new driver. I am playing the 983E 9.5 with NV-75 X shaft. I am looking for something that will be a little more forgiving on my off days, but I can still work. My clubhead speed is in the 104-108 mph range. The kicker on my golf swing is I have high spin. consistantly around 4000 range(3700-4500). I tried out most of the new drivers on a launch monitor the other day. Launcher, Ignite, R7, Mizuno, callaway. All in stiff shaft, and 9.5 to 10.5. With the drivers I tried my spin went to over 5000 every time, with the exception of the R7. But the stock R7 with not an improvement over my 983 E. My thought is that the Tp version may be better with the 757/ Fugi Six shaftmaybe better for my high spin. Any advice. I am unpatiently waiting to see what the new titleist is like and and am trying to locate a R7 TP and 510 TP with the 757 to try. Do you think that a X stiff shaft like I have now will help these others drivers. Right now I am averaging 276 yards on my drives, and am very happy with my 983, except on the off days. Please help!!! Thanks!!!

Titleist 905R 8.5 w/ UST V2 75 S
Taylor Made R7 TP TS 13 w/ Vista Pro 80 XS
Titleist 695cb 2i w/ Rifle Project X 6.5
Titleist 695.mb 3-PW w/ Rifle Project X 6.5
Titleist Vokey Tour Chrome 54.14 w/ Project X 6.5Titleist Vokey Tour Chrome 60.08 w/ Project X 6.5Titleist Cameron Studio Style...

I am a 12 handicaper, in need of some driver recommendations. I am looking for a new driver. I am playing the 983E 9.5 with NV-75 X shaft. I am looking for something that will be a little more forgiving on my off days, but I can still work. My clubhead speed is in the 104-108 mph range. The kicker on my golf swing is I have high spin. consistantly around 4000 range(3700-4500). I tried out most of the new drivers on a launch monitor the other day. Launcher, Ignite, R7, Mizuno, callaway. All in stiff shaft, and 9.5 to 10.5. With the drivers I tried my spin went to over 5000 every time, with the exception of the R7. But the stock R7 with not an improvement over my 983 E. My thought is that the Tp version may be better with the 757/ Fugi Six shaftmaybe better for my high spin. Any advice. I am unpatiently waiting to see what the new titleist is like and and am trying to locate a R7 TP and 510 TP with the 757 to try. Do you think that a X stiff shaft like I have now will help these others drivers. Right now I am averaging 276 yards on my drives, and am very happy with my 983, except on the off days. Please help!!! Thanks!!!

Hmm . . . at your stage, I think it's much more about shaft choice rather than head choice. That said, if you want low spin, an R7 is about as low as you can go other than the 510 which I think is the best driver head ever made. If possible, you may be able to pick up a 510 TP head for $300 or so on e-bay. Ignite 460, Cleveland 460 Comp, and Ping G2 are other low spin models you should try. I'd also wait until the new Titleist 905T and Bridgestone J33 R models come out in early April, because those will be two more good deep face / low spin heads to try. I've got some more questions for you. What's your style of swing? Smooth? Fast? Pause at top? No pause at all? Do you like to feel a shaft load? What swing weight do you play with? Preffered ball flight (draw, fade, straight)? Are you happy with the 75g weight? I'm guessing you're a high launch player too. What ball are you playing with? Your spin numbers are really high. Without seeing your swing, they almost make me think decending blow. 270 yard carry with those numbers is insane if we can lower them down to the 2500 level you'll be carrying 290+ easy. Something about your specs isn't adding up for me. IMHO, you're right inbetween an S and an X flex. I think you're getting away with it on the Aldila since they're notoriously soft. Is you current shaft tipped at all? If you go with a Fujikura, I'd go with an S flex and get it tipped a 1/2-1 inch or so. I wouldn't reccomend the Fuji Six, it's high tourque and will likely add to spin numbers, and the light weight may not help things out. Likewise, I'd stay away from the retial shafts (even the TP retail), they're not too good. Right now my reccomendations:
  • Fujikura 660 TR (IMHO best shaft on the market)
  • Fujikura 757
  • Mitsubishi Shaq
  • Mitsubishi Diamana
  • UST ACCRA Tour 70
Oh yeah, one more question, how much do you want to spend total for the driver??? Hope this helps

• Administrator

Uhh, yeah, what he said.

I will double up on one point: 5000 RPM is a helluva lot. You want between 2500-3000 RPM . I've seen Phil Mickelson swinging down on a driver - quite unusual - but it sounds as though you're doing this too.

When you were on the monitor, were you using the ball you use or range balls or the whatever the store had around? If the monitor can measure your clubhead angle into the ball (coming down, level, coming up), that may tell us more.

Also, what if you swing your driver at about 80% effort? Oftentimes it's more a feel thing and your clubhead speed won't change a whole lot, but sometimes "going for it" changes your mechanics a little and, with the driver, I've found that it results in a more ballooning shot indicative of more spin. Goes along with the "when it's breezy, swing easy" saying.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I think you guys have a great point about me hitting down through the ball. I play the ball back in my stance further than most players to have more control. I am going to retest with the ball a little more forward in my stance and try hitting through or up through the ball to see what that does. I will let you guys know what happens. As for the questions about the testing and my swing. I have a smooth swing with practically no pause at the top. During the testing I tested with my ball of choice the pro V1x and I also tried the Nike one Black. I was swinging about 85-90% and not ripping at it. I do like the weight of my 983 with the nv 75, but do not know what the swing weight of the club is. I have never had that checked. My launch angle is 11 with my 983, was 12 with the r7, and was 12.5-14 with the others tested. As for my budget I dont want to spend anymore than I have to, but will spend whatever I need to for the right fit. Thanks for all the help, and hope this paints a better picture.

Titleist 905R 8.5 w/ UST V2 75 S
Taylor Made R7 TP TS 13 w/ Vista Pro 80 XS
Titleist 695cb 2i w/ Rifle Project X 6.5
Titleist 695.mb 3-PW w/ Rifle Project X 6.5
Titleist Vokey Tour Chrome 54.14 w/ Project X 6.5Titleist Vokey Tour Chrome 60.08 w/ Project X 6.5Titleist Cameron Studio Style...

• Administrator
A 11-14° launch angle is about what you want. You definitely want to bring the spin down... but you don't want much lower flight or you're going to hit balloons. They may play well downwind or on still days, but you may be toast unless it's dead calm.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

If you're happy with the way you're driving the ball, distance and accuracy wise, I'd say don't change a thing, because 276 yard carry is not too bad at all.

If you're at the range one day and are bored, go ahead and tee the ball up off your left heel and use your normal swing and swing through the ball, not up. The ball position should allow it to catch the club on the up swing if that makes any sense.

If you could only pick one which would you like to improve? Distance or accuracy?

From your style and tempo, I'd probably reccomend the UST Accra 70. The weight will be perfect for you, it should load well even though you don't pause and it's not too expensive. The Fuji 660 would also be nice, but I'm not sure you want to spend that much on it.

The true (non retail) Fuji speeder 757 is better for people who pause ever so slightly at the top and can load it there. Same with the Mitsubishi Shaq.

Your launch angle is a little low also, so perhaps bringing the ball forward will help that. Ideal for your swing speed would be high 12's to low 13's. Here's a chart from the blog that should help, although I think the launch angles are a degree low.

For heads, I'd reccomend looking at the TalyorMade R5 dual, or the Ping G2 either of which would be perfect with the Accra and the total would be around $400. Also, if you decide to buy an after market shaft, go ahead and pay the extra $12 - $20 to get it spined because it's cheap and helps a bit performance wise.

Hope that answers a lot of questions, if you have any more ask away.

Hope this helps.

Note: This thread is 7001 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!