IGNORED

are laser range/distance finders legal?

Note: This thread is 6474 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

are you allowed to use such tools during a non casual match? i dont own one but if they are illegal in matchplay then there really isnt any point in buying one and getting dependant upon it. i assume theyre against the rules but i just wanted to make sure

905R 9.5* Fujikura Speeder
200 steel 3 wood
200 steel 5 wood
690.CB 3-PW
56* 14 Pro Platinum Newport 2 Pro V1 B330-S

The USGA now allows range finders or GPS so long as they don't measure slope (or wind, not that I have ever seen a device that measures wind speed). However, they "permit the use of distance measuring devices by Local Rule". So whatever event you are playing has to specifically allow the devices. In other words, the USGA no longer explicitly forbids them. They just allow the local tourny to decide whether or not the let people use them.

Get one. Nothing sucks more than hitting your 100 yard club EXACTLY how you hit a 100 yard shot just to see your ball sail over the green. Yardage markers on most courses were placed by Stevie Wonder.

The USGA now allows range finders or GPS so long as they don't measure slope (or wind, not that I have ever seen a device that measures wind speed). However, they "permit the use of distance measuring devices by Local Rule". So whatever event you are playing has to specifically allow the devices. In other words, the USGA no longer explicitly forbids them. They just allow the local tourny to decide whether or not the let people use them.

i see, thank you :) a lot of the courses i play on dont really have yardage markers/sprinkler heads. usually they'll have short posts marking 200/150/100 yards.. but they still leave a lot of guess work. anyone use or know of any good simple range finders? im not really looking to spend any more than $100 (if at all possible) and i dont need something thats extremely accurate.

200 steel 3 wood
200 steel 5 wood
690.CB 3-PW

i see, thank you :) a lot of the courses i play on dont really have yardage markers/sprinkler heads. usually they'll have short posts marking 200/150/100 yards.. but they still leave a lot of guess work.

I saw from another post that you've only been playing 3 years, so the fact that you don't usualy have any yardage and your average score is around 78 is quite impressive. You must have some real good eyes.

What's In The Bag
Driver: TM Burner stiff
3i Cleveland Hibore Hybrid
3-6: MX-23
7-PW: MP-60 Project X 5.5SW: Golden Bear hybridLW/GW Cleveland 60* and Tour Edge 50*Putter: two bar rifle malletBall: NXT TourHome Course: Raintree CC 70.7/126 North 71/130 Southhttp://stink.net

I saw from another post that you've only been playing 3 years, so the fact that you don't usualy have any yardage and your average score is around 78 is quite impressive. You must have some real good eyes.

well i usually play the same courses over and over so i have a pretty good idea of where things are. plus i just try to imagine that im at the range and picture the yardage markers in my head. i also do a lot of walking around and pace out my yardages from the nearest yardage marker.

200 steel 3 wood
200 steel 5 wood
690.CB 3-PW

They are not actually allowed under the rules of golf.

However, the R & A and the USGA amended the rule recently, go here:

http://www.randa.org/index.cfm?cfid=...measuredevices

So, if the committee of the course you are playing has introduced the local rule they are legal. If not, you can't use them.
In the bag:
Driver - FT-i 9.5* Neutral Speeder 686 Stiff
Fairway Wood - X-Tour 15* Stiff
Hybrid - Nickent 3DX Ironwood 17* Aldila NV Hybrid 75S
Irons - Tour Stage Z101 Forged Irons DG S300 Shatfs (2-PW) Wedges - 52* Callaway X Tour Vintage, 58* Callaway X Tour Mack Daddy VintagePutter - Scotty...

• Administrator
So, if the committee of the course you are playing has introduced the local rule they are legal. If not, you can't use them.

... thus making them legal under the rules of golf.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

... thus making them legal under the rules of golf.

Not true.

They are illegal under the rules of golf unless the Tournament or Club Committee has introduced the local rule. This should be clear, the last thing someone needs is to be playing in a tournament somewhere and the local rule hasn't been introduced and they end up getting DQ'd. The best thing to do is ask your club whether they intend introducing the rule, then you'll be safe. For instance I e-mailed our General Manager who told me that Muriwai have no plans for introducing the rule. So, in the absence of the local rule they are illegal. For those of you who don't have the rules or just want a link here you go http://www.randa.org/flash/rules/PDF/RoG2004.pdf
In the bag:
Driver - FT-i 9.5* Neutral Speeder 686 Stiff
Fairway Wood - X-Tour 15* Stiff
Hybrid - Nickent 3DX Ironwood 17* Aldila NV Hybrid 75S
Irons - Tour Stage Z101 Forged Irons DG S300 Shatfs (2-PW) Wedges - 52* Callaway X Tour Vintage, 58* Callaway X Tour Mack Daddy VintagePutter - Scotty...

• Administrator
They are illegal under the rules of golf

It's legal to play from ground under repair... unless it isn't (by local rule). C'mon, dude, range finders are legal under the rules of golf when allowed by local rules. Local rules are "rules of golf" too.

The best thing to do is ask your club whether they intend introducing the rule, then you'll be safe.

I agree.

So, in the absence of the local rule they are illegal.

And in the presence, they're legal. Last year, they technically were never legal. This year, the rules of golf allow for them (by local rule).

For those of us who live in the U.S., of course, the link is

here .

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 6474 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!