IGNORED

Current hurdle: 2nd shot/approach shot

nk4787
Note: This thread is 6465 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hey guys,

Firstly, thanks for all the advice on my previous issues. My game has come a long way and I've managed to break 100. I played 18 yesterday with the sole intent to figure out what was my next focus point. It has become my approach shot to the green which is bringing me down.

During the round, my drives were fine (averaging at 220 yards) and most of them were fairways/light roughs. My putts were fine, averaging to exactly 2 putts per hole. Where I was losing a stroke or two was my shot TO the green--my long irons to be exact. Whenever I would be on a par 4...my driver would land me about 160-200yds from the green...at this point I'd take out my 3-5 irons. The problem is, I either hit it too thin (blading it practically) which doesn't take the ball as far as I want or I hit it too fat which takes a huge divot and hooks the ball like crazy. As a result, I end up having to do a small short pitch with my 58* which ends up costing me a stroke per hole.

At this point I'm not concerned about my distance with my irons...I'm concerned about the accuracy. I've hit approach shots (170yd approach shot with a 3-iron) going the perfect distance but landing in the rough about 1-3 yards from the fringe.

I'm going to try and take a camera with me to the range next time I go (if I can find a camera) to tape my swing but I was wandering if there were any preliminary steps I could take to get a nice clean iron shot which goes relatively straight (I'm after that 'light brush' of the grass swing). This way I can--actually--cut down my score by 16-20 strokes.

Thanks in advance,

-N

Sounds like your over swinging with the approuch shots, take a couple of practice swings and if you feel your swinging hard extra hard, take more club and find your normal swing and hit it. the game is get the ball in the hole not how hard I swing a club. Give me a 6 iron straight not a 7 iron in the right rough.

R7 9.5 S Shaft
560 R7 quad R shaft
RAC LT irons
Scotty Cameron Pro Platinum

First step would be to check your alignment and set up. A lot of times a player thinks he's missing his target when he's actually just lined up incorrectly. Also, try not to think of firing at pins from long range -- your goal should be to just get it up on or around the green from back there.

From what you've described, it looks like you're just having a hard time hitting long irons, which really is not that rare a problem. If you're financially able, I'd look into getting a couple of hybrids and take the long irons out of the bag. They're designed to eliminate the problems that you seem to be having. You'll be able to get the ball up easier (due to the lower cg), and reduce the risk of chunking (due to the wide soles). You'll find yourself making more consistent contact, more than likely.

"I played like shit." -Greg Norman after the '96 Masters.

Thanks for the advice so far. Unfortunately, I'm not financially able to afford hybrids. And plus, I have my long irons so I want to fix my errors to be able to hit them =/

Hey guys,

i'm not sure if this is a viable option, but you may want to think about learning to get a bit more distance out of your clubs. to me its simple logic; hit your drive farther, and you can take a shorter club into the green. i dont mean to insult you or anything, but your predicament reminds me a lot of when i was 13 or 14 and had a lot of trouble with distance and long irons. after a lot of practice and eventual better ballstriking, the yardages with all my clubs saw significant increases. when i first started i couldnt even hit 3, 4, or 5 irons.

905R 9.5* Fujikura Speeder
200 steel 3 wood
200 steel 5 wood
690.CB 3-PW
56* 14 Pro Platinum Newport 2 Pro V1 B330-S

Note: This thread is 6465 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!