IGNORED

Question about putters

Note: This thread is 6471 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I am looking for a new putter and I realized how many different shapes and sizes each model has. More specifically, I have been eyeing the Odyssey White Steel blade style putter. As you can see here the White Steel has several models: #1, #2, #2 center shafted, and #3. What does each of the styles promote? I figured the center shafted was for a straight back straight through swing path, but how about the other 3? Is it a matter of looks, or does each model have a certain purpose? Thanks a lot.

I think that each of the styles have a strength but for the most part I think it comes down to preference. I got the Odyssey 2 Ball Blade putter back in May and I am putting better than I ever have. I like the 2 ball because it helps me line things up and I like the look of the blade versus the Original 2 ball look. But the best part for me is the dual insert design. I love the accuracy and the control that it gives me. I now have the confidence that I have a chance to make any putt within 20 feet (doesn't mean I always do) :) where as with my old putter I only felt cofident within 5. I would reccomend my putter to anyone.

Casey

What's in the bag?
Driver: 10.5* TM 580 XD Stiff
Fairway: Wilson 3,53 - PW: Ping ISTKWedges: Cleveland CG10 52*56*60*Putter: Oddessy 2 Ball BladeBall: Callaway HX HotsBag: OGIO Grom

I am looking for a new putter and I realized how many different shapes and sizes each model has. More specifically, I have been eyeing the Odyssey White Steel blade style putter. As you can see

CusePhil, Each model number has a different neck which is the part that attaches the shaft to the body of the putter. The number one has what's called a "plumber's neck." This neck provides one full shaft offset from the face of the putter. People who don't have as much forward press tend to like this style since they can keep the shaft and their hands ahead of the ball. This also a way of manipulating the balancing and "toe flow" of a putter. Putters with a full shaft offset tend to be 4:30 toe hang. As a clubmaker, this is also the easiest neck to adjust for loft and lie. The number two has a half shaft offset with a standard "goose" neck as I like to call it. The half shaft is a better bet for people with forward press in their strokes since their hands are already ahead of the ball. They also have more "toe flow" than full offset putters hanging at 5:00 or even 5:30 in some cases. The number three has a half shaft offset with a short neck, that is a visual change compared to the number two. Try them all out and see which ones fit your eye and stroke the best. Good luck!

CusePhil,

Thank you gas_can, that was exactly what I was looking for. I assumed they had to have some significance other than just look, but had no idea what it could be. Thanks again, now I just need to find my preference of forward press and try out some putters.

• Administrator
As a clubmaker, this is also the easiest neck to adjust for loft and lie.

Stan Utley (who we'll be interviewing, I believe) says that most people don't have enough loft and have too upright a lie on their putters.

Most putters are 2-4 (he likes 5 or so, IIRC) and most putters are 71, while he likes 67-70 (again, IIRC). Is special equipment needed to measure putter loft, and is a special equipment needed (or at least recommended) for adjusting putter lie and loft? It would seem to me that a putter's loft would be a lot tougher to measure than the loft of a 4-iron, and Stan talks in his book about the equipment he got from Scotty Cameron to help him adjust loft and lie himself.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I am taking my putter in tomorrow to get the lie/loft adjusted. Its currently at 73 degrees for the lie and 3 degrees for the loft. After consulting with gas_can, I'm going to try out 68 degrees lie and 5 degrees loft. I can't sole my putter and get it to fit how Stan recommends in the reverse overlapping grip. Totally Driven is doing it for 5 bucks and said it will take 5-15 minutes.

Alan Olson

Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!
Check out our Facebook page!

Stan Utley (who we'll be interviewing, I believe) says that most people don't have enough loft and have too upright a lie on their putters.

iacas,

It's actually very easy to do, just like a forged iron you place them in a loft lie machine. However, you need the correct loft lie machine. The best commercially available are made by mitchell: http://www.mitchellgolf.com/viewItem.asp?idProduct=1359 Any time you endavour to bend a putter on a loft lie machine, you run the risk of marring the neck with the bending bar and the surface of the club because of the clamping surfaces. Good clubfitters will place some tape over the putter head to minimize this, but the risks should be noted. Scotty made his own which is fantastic because it does not marr putters at all without any need for precautionary tape or wrapping. http://www.scottycameron.com/articles/details.asp?id=12

I am taking my putter in tomorrow to get the lie/loft adjusted. Its currently at 73 degrees for the lie and 3 degrees for the loft. After consulting with gas_can, I'm going to try out 68 degrees lie and 5 degrees loft. I can't sole my putter and get it to fit how Stan recommends in the reverse overlapping grip.

Well, I'm back from getting the putter adjusted. It was a slightly humorous when the clubfitter asked if I knew what angle/loft I wanted and I said "68 lie, 5 loft". He looked at me and asked where I had gotten those numbers. I wanted to tell him, well I know this gas_can fella and read Stan Utley's book so just do it already!

Before he would adjust the putter, he slapped a small mirror on the putter head and aimed a laser at it when I addressed the ball. Turns out I was "aiming" almost four inches right on a six foot putt with the 73 degree lie. He adjusted the putter using a Mitchell and aimed the laser again and I was dead over the hole. Putted twelve balls from six feet and made ten. He did "warn" me that with the higher loft (5 degrees) that on longer distance putts, the ball may skip and I would lose some distance control.

Alan Olson

Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!
Check out our Facebook page!

• Administrator
Well, I'm back from getting the putter adjusted. It was a slightly humorous when the clubfitter asked if I knew what angle/loft I wanted and I said "68 lie, 5 loft". He looked at me and asked where I had gotten those numbers. I wanted to tell him, well I know this gas_can fella and read Stan Utley's book so just do it already!

As cheap as laser pens are these days, you can build yourself a quick tool like that to check yourself at home. Just set a laser pen down on a thin book next to a wall and slap a little mirror on your putter. Then aim and see where the reflected laser points (on the wall).

Simple enough idea... I may have to go buy a laser pen. What are they now, $19.99 at Spencer's or something for a cheapo one? Maybe a little more?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Note: This thread is 6471 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!