IGNORED

Cutting across the ball

Note: This thread is 6448 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hey guys. Okay, I know what my problem is, but i cant fix it. A really good golfer at a course pointed out my problem. What happens is when i get to the top of my swing i like twist my body and that causes me to come across the ball and it slices to the left. I am a left handed golfer. What is really weird is for the last couple years I would crush them dead straight, sometimes with a slight fade. this whole summer though has been a battle all because of the slices. The guy who watched me hit said I had my shoulders to involved and I was rotating them to much. I always go to parallel and at times when I want to crush it i might go a touch past. Dont think I am a hacker and I just swing as hard as I can. It is a good swing with good tempo. Any ideas for how to help fix what I am doing wrong? Your help is much appreciated!!

Try this drill next time you go to the range. Stand at address and close your stance considerably. Since your left handed it will be dropping your left foot back about a foot. Then take your normal swing. That will make you not twist your body so much and make much better contact with the ball. You wont cut accross the ball with that drill.
Driver-Taylor Made R7 460cc 10.5* Fujikara REAX Stiff
Fairway Wood-Taylor Made R7 Draw 15* Fujikara REAX Stiff
Hybrid Taylor Made 19* Rescue Mid Steel Stiff
4-PW-Golfsmith G40 TT Lite XL Stiff
GW-Ben Hogan Riviera 8* Bounce 50*SW-Ben Hogan Riviera Medium Bounce 56*LW-Cleveland 60* 588 ChromePutter-Taylo...

Well I tried what finn said, which did help some. I focused on swinging the club on the downswing on the same path as when I brought it back. It is funny, I played a good round of golf and hit all my drives pretty nicely, then I went out the next day and it was slicing... now i think i am leaving the club face open because I am not rotating my wrists back around.. ohh this is getting frustrating.

Actually the degrees at which the club is on the takeaway is usually more then what it is on the downswing, so if your on the same line then you'll definitely be hitting slices. Meaning the shaft will be more upright on the takeaway then it is on the downswing. Its not drastic but its there. On the downswing you want to get in the "slot". This is your power position. A good thing to look at is to find some swing sequences of some tour pros, that will give you a much better idea of what im saying. Golf digest had one this month of Sergio. Anyway, its obvious that you are coming from the outside to in on the downswing. When you head to the range, take something and place it one inch behind and one inch outside of your ball. Now hit some balls. If you are hitting that object, then you are swinging from the outside.

Iacas said something which I have been trying a few weeks ago. He aims at the top right quadrant of the golf ball. I would recommend you do that as well, that will force you to strike the ball from the inside, resulting in much better shots. Keep at it, you'll be fine.
Driver-Taylor Made R7 460cc 10.5* Fujikara REAX Stiff
Fairway Wood-Taylor Made R7 Draw 15* Fujikara REAX Stiff
Hybrid Taylor Made 19* Rescue Mid Steel Stiff
4-PW-Golfsmith G40 TT Lite XL Stiff
GW-Ben Hogan Riviera 8* Bounce 50*SW-Ben Hogan Riviera Medium Bounce 56*LW-Cleveland 60* 588 ChromePutter-Taylo...

Note: This thread is 6448 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!