IGNORED

Bodytype Influences swing path??

Note: This thread is 6422 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hey all first post from the north... we don't play on ice here..lol

Like most golfers I fight with the slice. Here's the dilema.
With the irons, I'm okay fade at worst. 3/5 wood are generally fine. Again with most the longest club in the bag (driver), I have a tendancy to slice/pull/fade the ball. Last year I managed to get to a 5 cap, mind you on a fairly moderate course. This year, has gotten worse. I'm the type to tinker and try things when the swing dosen't feel right. The club pro says I just overswing to much, and should focus on trying the 9 to 9 for better contact and accurracy. When I hit my driver well, it's solid about 240 carry with another 30 to 40 roll with a mid range ball flight. I've played with the pro hit just as far, but my ballflight is significantly different. Lately though my driver has betrayed me, and I've posted some real ugly scores in competitions.

Here's what I've tried without success:

Tee ball up/down: when up contact just feels weak, although distance is acceptable (about 240). When lower and connect properly I get the pop and ball feels as if it jumps off the face..usually 250 or more..

Front foot flared: Tends to open my shoulders and results in a weak hit

ball position: when I go opposite left heal, is okay, farther up/slice, and farther back slice????

Shoulder tilt: Club pro suggested this and works to som extent, but after several swings tends to change my regular iron swing and then I have problems with that part. My desire is that I believe that you should swing the same with all clubs, just the distance of the swing changes..ie use of the clock system..

Going to try and video tape swing to get a look at what I'm doing from behind.

I've tried from the inside, I'm sure I'm overtop when I try and hit it hard, Ive tried pulling the club through..hmmmm

At the top, sometimes my left wrist angles, working on that..

My body type resembles Tim Herron/John Daly/Jason Gore.. and my swing will differ from say a tiger or Luke donald/ernie els type..

Not afraid to try things, just not looking for gimmicks..

Thanks

In the bag...

r7 TP 425 (Tour issue) Fuji Fit On X flex
r7 tp 13*/17* GD Purple Ice 85g X (tour issue)
Dual Hybrid TP 19* Aldilla Stiff 680 forged irons rifle 6.5 shafts 4-PW RAC TP Y Cutters Satin Wedges 54/60 with Project X 6.0 Scotty Cameron Newport 2 34' ProV1X ballFootjoy shoes, gloves and...

If I find myself hitting a fade/slice during a round, a quick fix for me is to close the clubface at address a little. I keep closing it a little more each time until I am hitting it straight. I also try not to change my basic swing path when I am doing this. Too much different stuff going on will usually result in big smothered pull hooks. Not a pretty sight. Hope it works for you.

Roy McEvoy is my hero.

In My bag
TM Burner 9.5 S Flex

Wilson Invex Strong 3 and 5 wood

Maxfli Revolution 3-PW Irons

Cleveland 54/60 wedges

Odessey XG #7 Putter

Hey all first post from the north... we don't play on ice here..lol

first of all im going to assume youre right handed.

secondly, about that left wrist angling, i do that too with my driver.. for me the face is pretty wide open at the top. is your slice the type that starts out left and then cuts back to the right? or is it the type that starts straight/right and curves even farther right? if its the latter of the two, you could simply just focus on squaring or even trying to close the clubface at impact(overcompensate to get to your goal). i often hit a push fade with my driver because i dont get around fast enough and my release is late. if you cant get your relase timed right, you could also try putting the ball further forward in your stance since the face will most definitely be closer to square on your left toe then in the middle of your stance. if you're hitting it left and then slicing it back right, there really isnt anything you can do except fix your swingplane. i used to deal with an out to in plane and what really helped me fix it was focusing on dropping my hands a little as the first downswing move. that way when you start your hip/shoulder turn, your hands will be a little lower and the club will work its down on a better plane. i'm not really a technical kind of player, i just try to do what works for me. hopefully you can decipher my poor explanations and try some of it out. best of luck.

905R 9.5* Fujikura Speeder
200 steel 3 wood
200 steel 5 wood
690.CB 3-PW
56* 14 Pro Platinum Newport 2 Pro V1 B330-S

I have tried lots of things, and some work. Although I do believe that swing plane is one of the areas I'm going to focus on. Today I was a little more active with my hip turn, and straightened my ball out significantly into the wind. The course I play frequently has 20km or more winds, so anything not hit right is magnified. I found myself more tired at the end of the round, hit it farther and straighter, just didn't score better. Atleast I didn't feel like jumping off a bridge..lol..

Thanks, keep em coming, and I'll keep y'all up to date...

Fairways and greens....

Lumpster

In the bag...

Dual Hybrid TP 19* Aldilla Stiff 680 forged irons rifle 6.5 shafts 4-PW RAC TP Y Cutters Satin Wedges 54/60 with Project X 6.0 Scotty Cameron Newport 2 34' ProV1X ballFootjoy shoes, gloves and...

Thanks, my pro recommended hitting with the feet together for temp, so I'll try that. It's strange that it dosen't feel right because it's something that you don't do, so sometimes you fight it out of comfort.

Working with swingpath and checking divots...

The hip activation stuff is great for distance, but after a couple times on the range and trying on the course I'll try to 'fix' what I'm confortable with..

Thanks again.... Fairways and greens..

In the bag...

Videotaped my practice session on sunday, and noticed some things. Fortunately I was hitting it fairly well. I checked for shoulder position at impact and legs, which allowed me to pick up on a straitening right leg as I approached the top of the backswing.

I'll keep working with the tilt, until it becomes more 'automatic', although I'm finding it great for irons on par 3's, just with some mixed results from the fairways/rough.

As always I'll keep working, the lower I go, the harder I need to work...lol

Thanks again....

In the bag...

Note: This thread is 6422 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!