IGNORED

Shaft stiffness.

Note:Β This thread is 6391 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!

Gas_can i saw you put out some question for prutknows and you made some reddomendations and stuff. i was wondering if you could help me out with that too. :)

1. What is your tempo: fast, medium, slow.

2. What is the length of your swing arc: long, medium, short.

3. What is your transition at the top: pause at the top, or smooth?

4. Where do you release your wrist cock: early, middle, late.

5. What is your swing speed, launch angle, and spin rate?

6. What head do you plan on putting the shaft into?

1. Fast
2.short (but i get 90degree shoulder turn)
3.i load it hard i think
4. late
5. 100-110, 12 , alot
6. callaway ft-3 tour 9.5 (is this head good for me?)

Thanks in advance and if anyone else can help it would be much appreciated

Titleist 905R 8.5 Degree // Stiff
TaylorMade Rescue Mid 16 Degree// Stiff
Titleist 690.CB// PW-3 Rifle Flighted 6.5
Titleist Spin-Milled 56 Degree
Titleist Spin-Milled 60 Degree

Scotty Cameron Newport 2

Titleist Pro V1

1. Fast

Cantputt, From a strict bend profile point of view, players who have your style of swing tend to fit well into shafts that are very stiff in the butt becuase of the hard trasition, short swing arc. You also would likely fit well into a very stiff tip due to your late release. The FT-3 is a high launching head, but it is extremely low spin, so often times people can fit into a slightly stiffer tip shaft. Your launch angle is a little on the low side, and the spin rate sounds like it's on the high side, so I think going up a degree in loft while switching to a stiffer tipped shaft will help you greatly if you don't want to change your swing dynamics. The Mitsubishi Diamana is a great stick, which is high in price, but also performs very well. It feels very smooth, yet retians a tight tip and butt section which is one reason why Tiger, Phil, and others seem to be gravitating back to it. If you want something a little bit stiffer overall, but which still has some "feel," the Harrison Striper Tour in your favorite weight would be a very nice option if you like to feel a "kick" through impact. If you're not adverse to ultralights, the Fujikura MW-54 is a much pricer stick in the same bend profile. It has an even greater feel through the ball and is easily tuneable thanks to a long parallel tip section. If you like to play something stiffer overall, I'd look into a shaft like the Graphite Designs PM-702 and Alidila ProtoPype are excellent shafts, but I wouldn't reccomend them for all but the hardest swingers and most advanced players with extremely quick hands or swings. What are some other shafts you have played with success?

thanks gas_can. before i just used the stock shafts that came with the club :) i was hitting the 905R 8.5 with the speeder very well. the r7 9.5with aldvila nvs 65X, uhmm and a 983k 9.5 with a prolite or something.. it was red. haha everything else was a dud... right now in the ft-3 im using some aldila nvs65 S

Scotty Cameron Newport 2

Titleist Pro V1

all i can say im not doing so great with aldila shafts =/

Scotty Cameron Newport 2

Titleist Pro V1

when i said i had a launch angle of 12 and a lot of spin... that was when i was using the 905R 8.5 with the speeder shaft. i dont know the details with the ft-3 currently am using. what exactly does spin mean? i remmber when i was testing it before the guy said that i was getting ALOT of spin and said i shudnt et the 905R, but i did anyway :) and for awhile i was hitting it well (270 carry) till recently i cudnt even get it up in the air.

Scotty Cameron Newport 2

Titleist Pro V1

thanks gas_can. before i just used the stock shafts that came with the club :) i was hitting the 905R 8.5 with the speeder very well. the r7 9.5with aldvila nvs 65X, uhmm and a 983k 9.5 with a prolite or something.. it was red. haha everything else was a dud... right now in the ft-3 im using some aldila nvs65 S

Cantputt,

I think you'll get along well with either the Harrison Striper Tour or Fuji MW-54. Great feeling shafts, and the Harrison is a superb value. Depending on how hard you swing on the course, you may want to go with a regular since it has a short two and a half inch parallel tip section which will stiffen considerably in the Callaway bore of the FT-3.
when i said i had a launch angle of 12 and a lot of spin... that was when i was using the 905R 8.5 with the speeder shaft. i dont know the details with the ft-3 currently am using. what exactly does spin mean? i remmber when i was testing it before the guy said that i was getting ALOT of spin and said i shudnt et the 905R, but i did anyway :) and for awhile i was hitting it well (270 carry) till recently i cudnt even get it up in the air.

Going up a degree in loft of the clubhead is a good idea, it's likely that you're hitting the ball with higher initial launch with the FT-3 which is a good thing. If possible, get on the launch monitor with the FT-3 to be sure.

Spin is the actual "backspin" placed on the golf ball. Although the ball doesn't exactly spin purely backwards, it spins in a direction that is dictated by both the backspin and spide spin "components" for physics majors. Spin is dictated mostly by swing dynamics and clubheads. Steep angles of attack and high loft tend to produce higher spin numbers. Shallow angles of attack and low lofts produce lower spin numbers. Clubs with low and deep centers of gravity are lower spin like the FT-3 while clubs like the R540XD have a center of gravity closer to the face which makes it highers pin. There is an ideal spin rate you want to achieve based on your launch angle and ball speed. Shafts have a minor effect on spin rate and should be used to fine tune spin rate values while swing conditions, loft, and clubhead characteristics predcominantly dictate them. I also should mention, the FT-3 isn't as easy to reshaft as "traditional" clubheads since it is joined to the carbon fiber body with a rubber that is very heat sensitive. I have seen some major butcherings of FT-3 heads by the traditional torch and heat gun extracting methods. The best way is to simply cut and drill out the shaft to preserve the integrity of the cup face bond and carbon fiber body. Find someone who really knows what they're doing before reshafting.

thanks gas_can once again. i was wondering if there is any clubhead that is better for me than the FT-3? i bought it at roger dunn so i have that 90 day thing. any suggestions on other club heads?

Scotty Cameron Newport 2

Titleist Pro V1

thanks gas_can once again. i was wondering if there is any clubhead that is better for me than the FT-3? i bought it at roger dunn so i have that 90 day thing. any suggestions on other club heads?

cantputt, The FT-3's the best head on the market right now as long as it's fit to the correct loft. It consistently produces 2-3mph faster ball speeds than any other driver head on the market. The head's great, just make sure it's loft is suited for your game, I think you'll be very happy with it.

• Administrator
The head's great, just make sure it's loft is suited for your game, I think you'll be very happy with it.

Also make sure you can stand to listen to it (some can't) and look at it (also some can't).

I switch back and forth between an FT-3 Tour and an r7 425 TP depending on what I feel that day. The r7 is a lot better at giving me feedback on where I hit the ball on the face. You may or may not care for that.

Erik J. Barzeski β€” β›³Β I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. πŸŒπŸΌβ€β™‚οΈ
Director of InstructionΒ Golf EvolutionΒ β€’Β Owner,Β The Sand Trap .comΒ β€’Β Author,Β Lowest Score Wins
Golf DigestΒ "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17Β &Β "Best in State" 2017-20Β β€’ WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019Β :edel:Β :true_linkswear:

Check Out:Β New TopicsΒ |Β TST BlogΒ |Β Golf TermsΒ |Β Instructional ContentΒ |Β AnalyzrΒ |Β LSWΒ | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

ya i like the ft-3 but for some reason im hitting it like CRAZY low.... not use to that.. i sitll carry it like 270-280 and like 250 on bad hits, but im really not use to the low launch.. u guys suggest i go to a 10.5? im use to using like an 8.5 but i guess my swings changed quite a bit or something. what do u guys think about the hibore for me? any good? and thanks again for the great feedback

Scotty Cameron Newport 2

Titleist Pro V1

First I would let you know that the stock Aldila NVS shafts on the FT3 is a junk shaft and according to you swing info it doesn't fit you. It's a higher launch higher torque version of the original NV for slow swing noobs. Check and compare the shaft specs at Aldila http://www.aldila.com/product15.html
http://www.aldila.com/product14.html

That is one of the main reason I hate Callaway woods and driver, they used noob golf shafts, but I think FT3 is a decent 460 driver head.

The best driver heads right now and the most used on Tour are probably, Titleist 905R (905S less but good if you like to hit low), TM 425 (460 less easier to hit) and Ping G5 460 (easy to hit).
The TM R7 Quad is still very popular also.

As for what loft to choose for the driver head, you should choose lower loft (8.5 or lower) if you like to hit penetrating shots into the wind. Else you can go 9.5 which is an average loft that's good for working it high or low depending on where you hit the ball on the driver head. 10.5 or higher promotes initial high launch.
Also you should understand that some driver head are design to launch initially a little higher and some initially a bit lower, example Titleist 905R is 0.5* higher than 905S. So a 905R 8.5* is like a 905S 9.0*
With regard to spin, the bigger the driver heads the more spin it produce, not by much but in small increments of like 100~200 rpm. Most driver heads today are desgin for low spin. Low spin in driving produces more distance.
http://www.titleist.com/golfclubs/dr...arison#pagebot

With your Fast swing tempo and 100-110 swing speed the shaft that would fit you would be:
Aldila:
NV 65X med swing speed, higher launch, 68g
NV 75X med/fast swing speed, med launch, 78g
NV 85X fast swing speed, low launch, 88g
Here I would go for the NV 75 X it's very solid shaft NV 65 is more of a noob shaft while NV 85 is a bit heavy.
You can try to get your hands on the new Aldila VS shafts but those cost $175+ alone and you will need to get a re-shaft. They are made with the newer nanotube technology and lighter weight lower torque than NV.
Aldila NV has great feel and feedback.

Graphite Design
The YS-7+
Similar to the Aldila NV 75, but slightly higher torque at 3.0 but with probably better feel.

Fujikura
Real 757 Speeder X-Stiff or Stiff
not the Titleist version which hits a little less firm and less powerful.
That is, if you can handle this
shaft. It is very balance and made for a strong hitter but feels very firm and heavy at 79g. Produces low penetrating shots.
Real Rombax not the TM version, not available in
USA but better than speeder on feel, it's Fujikura's next top tour performance shaft.
http://www.fujikuragolf.com/

UST:
Proforce V2 75 X-Stiff or Stiff
Hit similar to the Fujikura Speeder 757, like a poor man's version of it lol.
Promotes low penetrating shots. With it's super low torque of 2.2 it promotes tight shot dispersion and with a weight of 76g promotes easier swing.

Those are the driver shafts I would consider for better players with 100-110 swings.
If you still have question you can check the shaft description at titleist.com
IMO, Titleist has the best and widest shaft selection for thier driver, unlike Callaway and TM.
http://www.titleist.com/golfclubs/dr...hash=1#pagebot

First I would let you know that the stock Aldila NVS shafts on the FT3 is a junk shaft and according to you swing info it doesn't fit you. It's a higher launch higher torque version of the original NV for slow swing noobs. Check and compare the shaft specs at Aldila

oct411,

I can't wait for Erik to read this post, he should have a field day with all the misinformation you've just presented. The NVS isn't a higher launch higher torque shaft for "slow swing noobs." It's a completely different shaft with a different bend profile to fit a different swing type. Trevor Immelman uses a NVS in his Nike T-60, I'd hardly call him a "slow swing noob."
As for what loft to choose for the driver head, you should choose lower loft (8.5 or lower) if you like to hit penetrating shots into the wind. Else you can go 9.5 which is an average loft that's good for working it high or low depending on where you hit the ball on the driver head. 10.5 or higher promotes initial high launch. Also you should understand that some driver head are design to launch initially a little higher and some initially a bit lower, example Titleist 905R is 0.5* higher than 905S. So a 905R 8.5* is like a 905S 9.0* With regard to spin, the bigger the driver heads the more spin it produce, not by much but in small increments of like 100~200 rpm. Most driver heads today are desgin for low spin. Low spin in driving produces more distance. http://www.titleist.com/golfclubs/dr...arison#pagebot

Again, misinformation abounds here. You pick a loft based on your swing characteristics and to determine the appropriate launch angle, not by lumping people into different categories.

Secondly, larger clubheads do not relate to spin rate. The FT-3 is a 460cc clubhead, yet it's one of the lowest spin head on the market right now. The hibore is built on a 540cc "chassis" but is the lowest spin clubhead on the market. The 540XD is only 400CC and is the highest spinning clubhead on the market right now. John Daly played one for a very long time, and he hardly has trouble with distance. You pick a clubhead based on your spin rate needs much like loft. Where your information comes from, I have no idea.
Graphite Design The YS-7+ Similar to the Aldila NV 75, but slightly higher torque at 3.0 but with probably better feel.

The YS-7+ is a complete opposite of the NV-75. They YS is a soft tipped butt stiff shaft while the NV is a butt soft tip stiff shaft, again, where are you getting this information from? Or is it simply your own conclusions?

I don't have time to correct all the other misinformation right now, but I'd strongly advise anyone to not take any of this advice.

oct411,

When I refered to the NVS as a shaft for "slow swing noobs." It's obvious I was talking about the ones they use in Callaway FT3 driver in particular NVS 55 and NVS 65.

Trevor Immelman is like 1% of all Touring Pros lol most 99% of all other PGA Touring Pros that uses Aldila in their driver and woods uses either NV or NV prototype or the new VS. Do some research before you yap thanks. And I know even without looking it up if Trevor Immelman plays a NVS in his T60 3 wood it's at least a NVS 75 or heavier NVS shaft with his swing speed. The only reason he would choose to use that over the NV is he wants a slightly higher launch. I would not recommend NVS 55 or 65 on any driver if you are serious and skilled. Since the wind would just chew your shot up and you have less control on your shot. GL if you want to stick with the NVS and is mainly the reason why you are defending this shaft cause you probably got one in your driver. Get a reshaft thanks lol!
Again, misinformation abounds here. You pick a loft based on your swing characteristics and to determine the appropriate launch angle, not by lumping people into different categories.

Lumping no body to any loft.

If you want higher launch with your driver head go 10.5 or higher If you want to control you launch go 9.5 If you want to hit low launch go 8.5 or lower Trust me noob, if you get a 10.5 driver, most likely the stock shaft on it will be setup for high launch reg or stiff flex at most (i.e. you won't be hitting low much with it). If you get a 8.5 or lower driver, most likely the stock shaft will be setup for low launch the shaft will be at least Stiff or better x-stiff. With 9.5, you can go either way, stiff or X-Stiff. FYI, most 80% PGA Pros plays 8.5 or lower on thier drivers and 99% of them play X-Stiff shaft.
The YS-7+ is a complete opposite of the NV-75. They YS is a soft tipped butt stiff shaft while the NV is a butt soft tip stiff shaft, again, where are you getting this information from? Or is it simply your own conclusions?

Wake the f*ck up and do some research you freaking noob...

I posted the Titleist driver shaft description page on the post you can at least use it before you yap your ignorant mouth. rofl total useless dumb mofo... http://www.titleist.com/golfclubs/dr...Custom#pagebot LOOK IT UP NEXT TIME BEFORE YOU YAP NOOB. YS-7+ IS SOFT/MED BUTT, TIP STIFF the semi-soft butt provides more control than Aldila NV in the similar weight class i.e. NV 75 IS MED BUTT TIP STIFF. READ UP UR SH*T BEFORE YOU ADVISE OTHERS NEXT TIME THANKS NOOB.
I don't have time to correct all the other misinformation right now, but I'd strongly advise anyone to not take any of this advice.

The only reason why you don't agree with what I posted is cause you are ignorant and don't know jack about shafts. Advising someone to get a GD PM702 rofl!!!

have you even try that shaft out yet? NOOB... Just in the last 6 month I have tried every shaft I talk about in my post and I know exactly what each and everyone of them can and can't do. Plus I have research all of the info on web of every Major shaft website. Let me ask you something, have you tried ALL of the shafts you talked about in your 1st post to this thread? AND did you research all of the characteristics of each shaft you have talked about? IF NOT, AND I ALREADY KNOW FROM ALL OF YOUR POST FROM THIS THREAD YOU DO NOT, YOU ARE AN IDIOT THAT'S NOT WORTH ANYONE'S TIME. I only posted to this thread not to persuade anyone on anything but simply explain, from what I have learned and it was alot of info, what are good shafts to check out if you are even a decent skilled golf player with a good swing. You should have thank me for doing all the research for you and I thought about not even bothering to waste my time with this and let people like you waste your time and money on buying sub-par and NOT CHEAP golf equipment made for golf noobs push out by phony companies such as Callaway. Enjoy wasting more time and money on junk, NOOB.

Going back to the original question on this thread, you shouldn't be hitting low shots with an Aldila NVS 65s paired with a 9.5 FT3.

As I have said NVS in particular NVS 55 and 65 promotes high launch read form Aldila's site:
"The Aldila NVS features the same unmatched performance and incredible feel of the original NV, with a higher launch. While the NV is a tip-stiff, low launch shaft, the NVS features a more responsive tip for those seeking a higher ball fight."
http://www.aldila.com/product15.html

You said you use to hit your FT3 high but lately you been hitting low shots, this means your swing path has changed from before and probably for the better as long as you didn't lose distance. Like I have said you can work a ball high or low with a 9.5* driver and you are probably hitting the ball a little on the bottom of the sweet spot as oppose to the top of it. I see no reason why hitting low isn't good for driving. Most pros perfer to hit their drives low for more control and roll on the fairway.

Hitting lower is a good thing. But if you still perfer hitting higher you can go to a 10.5 loft driver and if you like the weight and feel of the NVS 65s and like your driving shots to be high, stick with the NVS 65s or anything in the 60s gram weight class.

You said you use to hit your FT3 high but lately you been hitting low shots, this means your swing path has changed from before and probably for the better as long as you didn't lose distance. Like I have said you can work a ball high or low with a 9.5* driver and you are probably hitting the ball a little on the bottom of the sweet spot as oppose to the top of it. I see no reason why hitting low isn't good for driving. Most pros perfer to hit their drives low for more control and roll on the fairway.

I agree to a point about hitting a lower ball in wind but the problem with that is when people try to force the ball lower which often means hitting down on the ball and then creating more spin which ultimately hurts you more in the wind.

More and more pros are learning that hitting the ball a little higher and gettig more carry is the way to go for most situations. Take the lastest tournament in Colorado, many pros went to higher lofted drivers to take advantage of the thin air for more carry. As a general rule of thumb you will not gain on the ground what you lose in the air. While not true for everyone it is a good starting point.

First I would let you know that the stock Aldila NVS shafts on the FT3 is a junk shaft and according to you swing info it doesn't fit you. It's a higher launch higher torque version of the original NV for slow swing noobs.

Personally I wouldn't call the shaft junk or always for slow swingers, rather people looking for a little higher launch.

That is one of the main reason I hate Callaway woods and driver, they used noob golf shafts,

Callaway finally realized this and that's why they've made such a strong push to offer quality name brand shafts in their equipment.

I can't wait for Erik to read this post, he should have a field day with all the misinformation you've just presented.

Not everything he presented was misinformation, he brought up some very good points and recommendations.

When I refered to the NVS as a shaft for "slow swing noobs." It's obvious I was talking about the ones they use in Callaway FT3 driver in particular NVS 55 and NVS 65.

Callaway makes clubs for the masses for offering the NVS55 and NVS65 as the stock shaft is a strong choice. It appeals and will benefit the majority of the people who buy this club. Good thing they also offer other shafts as well

I would not recommend NVS 55 or 65 on any driver if you are serious and skilled. Since the wind would just chew your shot up and you have less control on your shot.

The wind is going to chew up a shot regardless but there is no hardline rule that says just because you're a low handicap player you have to play certain shafts.

Advising someone to get a GD PM702 rofl!!!

I have and based on the information provided I also think that shaft is a good canidate. My 2 cents

You should have thank me for doing all the research for you and I thought about not even bothering to waste my time with this and let people like you waste your time and money on buying sub-par and NOT CHEAP golf equipment made for golf noobs push out by phony companies such as Callaway.

While I don't agree with everything you posted, you did post some good information and some good recommendations. On that note I also think Gas_can posted some good information as well however both of you turned this into a pissing match which isn't helping anyone, in my opinion.

Oct, you've obviously got a serious hate for Callaway but I don't understand why you're calling them phony? I happen to like some of their equipment and yes I even have their driver in my bag. So do many others on the TST staff but I also wouldn't call us all 'noobs'

Personally I wouldn't call the shaft junk or always for slow swingers, rather people looking for a little higher launch.

What I meant by "junk" is a figure of speech and is obvious. The NVS 55 or 65 is meant for slow and at most med swing speed players

respectively. Ask anyone knowledgeable with these shafts or Aldila themselves if you don't believe my words as I have already said it once.
Callaway finally realized this and that's why they've made such a strong push to offer quality name brand shafts in their equipment.

It's call marketing. Matching lower performance stock shafts with thier drivers makes a bigger market for thier driver to the masses. Personally I think it's kind of weak.

Not everything he presented was misinformation, he brought up some very good points and recommendations.

I don't bother posting something on a forum if it's uselss information. It's not my style.

The wind is going to chew up a shot regardless but there is no hardline rule that says just because you're a low handicap player you have to play certain shafts.

Of course not, but most better players would not touch those shafts. Those shafts are meant for slower swing players. What I am saying is that if you are serious about golf then it is best for you to buy a driver with shaft that you can grow into... Even my GF that has a lesser swing can hit my X-Stiff driver and wood with out problem or lost of distance, that says alot lol...

While I don't agree with everything you posted, you did post some good information and some good recommendations. On that note I also think Gas_can posted some good information as well however both of you turned this into a pissing match which isn't helping anyone, in my opinion.

GAS CAN owns or works at a golf shop and he thinks he knows alot about all golf products...

Granted from his posts I think he knows about trimming and fitting clubs "the labor part". But I know for a fact he doesn't know alot about shafts... In particular performance shafts that are widely used on the PGA Tour.
Advising someone to get a GD PM702 rofl!!! I have and based on the information provided I also think that shaft is a good canidate. My 2 cents

It's the shaft that Phil plays on his FT3. It's also $400 retail.

From GD's site: "The low trajectory and torque of this shaft lend towards play by better players with an extremely fast swing speed and quick tempo." The post was about hitting higher, this shaft would not fit the bill in hitting higher or price wise or availability as it is more of a Prototype tour shaft available to tour players. For the same performance I would take any of the other shafts I have already pointed out in the previous post. They are readily available and tour proven and used on tour plus you can grow into them.
Oct, you've obviously got a serious hate for Callaway but I don't understand why you're calling them phony? I happen to like some of their equipment and yes I even have their driver in my bag. So do many others on the TST staff but I also wouldn't call us all 'noobs'

I never said their product is phony overall.

I said by them using weak shafts as the stock shaft is phony. I said and I am sure the FT3 driver head is decent or good as I have never use it. If it was a total phony driver head + the weaker stock shaft, Callaway would be out of business... lol. I had a FT3 BB 3 wood with NVS 55 that retails for $299 which I only paid $110 for on eBay, I can tell you it's a wood for NOOBs. I sold it fast back on eBay for $150+ once I hit it a few times. I think it's "phony" for Callaway to charge $299 on a 3 wood with a crapy shaft like the NVS 55. My conclusion is that Callaway with this kind of marketing is targeting old man or NOOBs. Yes I do see on the range and course that most new Callaway product buyers are old man and NOOBs... It fits them LOL! For instance, look at your drivers: Callaway FT3 Tour 9.5Β° (Matrix Ozik) Cleveland HiBORE 9.5Β° (UST V2) TaylorMade R7 425Β° 10.5 (Harrison Mugen) Although 2 of them have older and less known shafts on them, do you see a NVS 55 or NVS 65 on them??? After hitting the shafts you have on your driver, I doubt you will ever go back to hitting a NVS 55 or NVS 65 or even a NV 55 or NV 65 or any other shafts in that class. (The NV 65s or NV 65x at most is a shaft for a LPGA tour player. FYI that's what Paula Creamer plays with in her Pink Aldila shaft. If you are a man in the age of 18-45, I think you can do better than that in your driver if you are anyway serious about golf or have a decent swing...) I rest my case...

woah thanks for alll the great info.. didnt meant to start a war heh. Still nobody said whether or not the hibore was good for me or not. i was thinking about getting it because i have heard that it is very nice. season is over so i just trying different clubs to find one that i am comfortable with. thanks again. i was tihnking of trying the ust shaft :) from what you guys said it sounds very nice.

Scotty Cameron Newport 2

Titleist Pro V1

Note:Β This thread is 6391 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!