IGNORED

My Wife Had a Great Idea!

Lbob
Note: This thread is 6450 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I was explaining to my wife how new breakthroughs in technology have changed the game of golf, and how it has made it easier for hackers like me. I told her about how clubs and balls used to be less forgiving etc.

Then from out of the blue she says "Why don't they have a tournament where the pro's compete with old time equipment?" Wow! What an idea! Set up a course with yardages from say 1913 or maybe 1963 is more realistic, get some companies to make up some balls and clubs, and get some top pro's to play the course as a charity event. I think it would be educational and hoot to watch. Watching Tiger cream a driver 220!!! Seeing Phil hit a 5 iron 150. Now that would be television!

Robert Reid

In the bag:

Driver Cobra M/F Speed3 Cleveland LauncherCleveland Halo 2i Nike CPR 23 degree5-PW Mizuno MX 23 (graphite shafts)56 degree SW Mizuno MT

• Administrator
I was explaining to my wife how new breakthroughs in technology have changed the game of golf, and how it has made it easier for hackers like me. I told her about how clubs and balls used to be less forgiving etc.

Plus, even Bobby Jones managed to hit the ball 300 yards on occasion. The "old stuff" wasn't that bad. Nicklaus still hit the ball 300 yards on even more occasions than Jones.

Plus, due to changes in agronomy, there's no way you could truly set up a course like they used to. Yardage is one thing, actual playing conditions are another. Plus, the modern golf swing is geared towards the equipment. I think some guys wouldn't play because they might goof up their real swing. And to a certain point, as lame as it sounds, they'd probably be right. I too would like to see it... I just don't think it'll happen.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I remember going to the Houston Open and Ben Crenshaw and Tom Kite were still hitting wood....woods! They just didn't want to give up on the clubs that they had confidence in. I think tech finally got to them however when they saw the distances that others were getting. I think they would fare very well with the old clubs. Heck they could take a coke bottle and beat most of us!

Golf is not a game, it's a way of life!

Driver...Cubic Balance offset
Fairway wood......Flying Saucer
3-Wood....Cleveland LauncherIrons.......Callaway Great Big Bertha w/graphite shaftswedges....Cleveland sand wedge, Callaway Lob wedge putter....Claveland VAS.

I think some guys wouldn't play because they might goof up their real swing. And to a certain point, as lame as it sounds, they'd probably be right.

kind of like the big hitters turning down the home run derby at the all star game.

IN THE BAG

Driver: R580 W/ Fujikura VistaPro Eighty S Flex
Woods: 15* 300 series R80
Irons: TaylorMade RAC LT T Step Professional 110-gram steel RegularWedge: TP Rac Black Y Cutter 52/8 56/12Putter: Nubbins M2Ball: Bridgestone e5Course: League @ Bedford Hills

Yeah I agree about the swing change point. they might have to change things dramatically and probably wouldn't want to risk screwing up what had taken years to groove. Swings from 40 years ago are much different. And swings from the early 20th century are in a class by themselves. Did Bobby Jones really hit a 300 yard drive with hickory shafts? Or was he in the early steel shafts era? Didin't a golf magazine try to have somebody recreate Nicklaus' famous 1 iron shot? As I recall the amateur couldn't even come close.

Robert Reid

In the bag:

Driver Cobra M/F Speed3 Cleveland LauncherCleveland Halo 2i Nike CPR 23 degree5-PW Mizuno MX 23 (graphite shafts)56 degree SW Mizuno MT

The whole point would be for the pros to have some fun, make money for charity and not to rework their swings to accomodate ancient equipment. It's a great idea, but probably yes the pros would find some reason, like the one proposed, to weasel out of it ...... No, I don't think Tiger would destroy his game but hitting persimmon for 18 holes, not unless he got too serious about it and tried to fundamentally change his game. He's a bit too smart for that, methinks.

Kudos to the Better Half for an excellent idea. Wrong era in more ways than one, sadly. Sorry, I'm getting too cynical in my old age.

Driver: Cobra 460SZ 9.0, med.
3 Wood: Taylor stiff
3-hybrid: Nike 18 deg stiff
4-hybrid:
Taylor RBZ 22 deg regular
Irons:5-9, Mizuno MP30, steel
Wedges: PW, 52, 56, 60 Mizuno MP30
Putter: Odyssey 2-ball

Note: This thread is 6450 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!