IGNORED

My Swing (Jtjohns)

Jtjohns
Note: This thread is 4418 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Make sure you're swinging on the flatter plane automatically before you start another drill like the anti flip drill. Trying to fix too much too fast is a surefire way to screw a whole lot of things up.

Ok, I may have been getting ahead of myself. I'll continue working on swing on a flatter plane for now. Do the most recent videos look ok?

LIVING A DREAM
BOWLING GREEN STATE UNIVERSITY #56

Ok, I may have been getting ahead of myself. I'll continue working on swing on a flatter plane for now. Do the most recent videos look ok?

Yes, much better. You want to get on plane above most other things. If you're off plane, you have to compensate to get to the ball, and your chances of a solid strike are reduced.

• 10 months later...

Well I'm back at it again and I'm going to need a lot of advice from you folks.  I had my first lesson of the season last night and I believe my swing looks decent overall, but obviously there are some things I need to fix, just like everyone.  My instructor pointed out 3 flaws that I really need to focus on atm, those are:

1) Fanning the club face open during my back swing

2) Swaying too much during my back swing

3) Flipping ( I don't do this during my practice swing, but as soon as the ball is there, here it comes!! Guess its mental)

I have videos that my instructor recorded, but cant seem to get them to function correctly due to the way they were zipped so I plan on hitting the range this evening and uploading a clip after.

If any one would like to/be willing to try and post the clips I have from my intructor it would be great.  Just pm me and I'll send you the email with the clip attached.

Thanks.

LIVING A DREAM

Sorry for taking so long.  Here is a video from today's practice session.  I feel like I've made a lot of progress from last year and this short season so far.

I've been working on a few things:

1) Not flaring my club face open on my take away

2) Not swaying with my right leg

3) Staying down and not flipping through impact

Let me know what you think and please please give input and drills to work on.

Thanks.

LIVING A DREAM

I'm not an expert in any sense, but it looks to me like your casting the club which is leading to the flip through impact.

Carlos

Originally Posted by Nole77

I'm not an expert in any sense, but it looks to me like your casting the club which is leading to the flip through impact.

Really, at the top of my backswing?

LIVING A DREAM

I managed to stop the vid at the point when your left arm is parallel to the ground.  The shaft is already on it's way down out and down...I found this vid that was posted in another thread here:

At about 38 seconds you can see that his arms are parallel to the ground and the shaft is at about 90 degrees relative the ground.  I always thought that was the idea position whereas on yours it seems like you're at about 70 degrees or so.  Then again, I may be totally off.

Carlos

I had similar Issues to this. My instructor's solution was simple and so far (when I actually do it) effective. His basic message was that power is created mostly in the torsion of your shoulders and hips and having a long backswing put a lot of extra movement in my swing for minimal gain. He had me cut my backswing down in terms of arms and increase the amount my shoulder turn. So now when I end my backswing in theory my arms should be paralell to the ground, the club should be at a 90 degree angle to the ground and my back should be almost facing my target. At no time during my backswing should I break my wrists. This essentially forces me to stay on my plane, and not flip the wrists by never moving them in the first place.

Now I dont know if that is what is best for you but it might at least be a good drill to get the feeling Of where your wrists and club should be when your arms reach paralell.

BTW amazing transformation since that first video.

nickent.gif4DX Evolver Driver, ping.gif Rapture 3 Wood, taylormade.gif Burner 08 5 Wood, nickent.gif 3DX RC 3-4 & 5DX 5 Hybrid,
nickent.gif 6-PW 3DX Hybrid Irons, cleveland.gif High Bore 09 GW-SW, touredge.gif 60* Wedge, maxfli.gif Revolution Blade Insert Putter

Yes I'm Aware That's 16 Clubs!

I haven't had a chance to work on the suggested drill just yet.  I've been spending a lot of time on the range/course trying to build "muscle memory" with this swing before I start messing with anything more.  Its getting comfortable though.  I hit the ball EXTREMELY well yesterday while playing.

And, I just picked up a new driver!!! Found a brand new Ping G10 for $100!!!  Cant wait to put it to work, but It has to be reshafted.  Regular soft flex just isnt gonna get it done for me, but I'm playing with it anyway today.

LIVING A DREAM

• 3 weeks later...

Went to a Ping demo day yesterday and hit the i and s series irons.  Love them both and hit them both well.  I gained much more distance over my current G10s, mainly due to lower ball flight.  My G10s tend to balloon.  I want to learn to work the ball at will and I believe I'm ready for something closer to a player's iron.  I think I may start my search for new irons very soon.

Oh, just purchased a CG14 SW yesterday!!

LIVING A DREAM

• 10 months later...

Wow, its been almost a year since I've updated this video thread.  I've been putting a lot of work in and hopefully the results will show this season.  I'm gonna post up another video in the near future and hopefully get some feedback from you all.

Thanks.

LIVING A DREAM

Note: This thread is 4418 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!