IGNORED

Thinking of dropping my woods - carry only irons and driver

Ash1974
Note: This thread is 3763 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I have had a terrible couple of days with my woods recently, leading to pressure on my irons and game = terrible up and down scoring. I have never felt comfortable with my 3 wood and hybrid as no matter what model/setup I have owned I hit them great once in a while but terrible most of the time.

My driver has been on/off recently so I have been forced into using the 3 wood and hybrid off the tee with results that are worse than a loose drive, at least a loose drive is still 200ish but just in the rough (with the odd OOB) the 3 wood and hybrid are tops, pulls with 99% of them not making it 100 yards and never in the short stuff

So I am gonna drop the 3 wood and hybrid and just carry driver and irons (3-PW + 2 Wedges)

My 3 and 4 irons have been getting more solid off the tee and I am using them more on shorter par 4's OR easy to miss fairways.

Was wondering if anyone else does this?

I am going to give it a go and I am also going to start carrying again, as I am finding the hassle of the trolley just not suiting me at the moment.

3-woods and hybrids can get you out of sooo many jams. Anybody who drops them from their bag is making a big big mistake. if you crush a drive into the rough and are 200+ yards out from the green, you're not going to use an iron. The hybrid or 3-wood will cut through the rough much much easier than an iron. If you play an iron, it will likely get stuck and wobble around, causing a hook or slice or chunk or..

Anyway, you just need to work on your woods. I couldn't hit for crap anything above my 5-iron. My hybrid, 3-wood, and driver were basically extra strokes everytime I pulled them out. However, I worked and worked on them, now I can't stop hitting bombs. It really comes down to how much you worm. The more you work = the easier the game. I think if you just work hard on your woods, you will start hitting them with ease and see very pleasing results.

This thread is almost 3 years old. I'm guessing that the OP has either figured it out, or moved on by now. ;-)

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

This thread is almost 3 years old. I'm guessing that the OP has either figured it out, or moved on by now.

WHAT?! Damn, I saw it in the related forum threads. Lol thanks for letting me know that.

newbie here...i still think its smart to stay away from clubs that aren't your friend. i recently took my 3w and 5w out of the bag and bought a used 4 hybrid. especially for us high handicappers its better to use the clubs we are better with and save the others for when we improve.

I used to carry Driver, 2 - sand wedge, putter, thats it.  But for somewhat different reasons, driver was very good, long and straight, 2 iron 230 yards.  Took the 3 wood out of the bag because I would tend to go for par 5's in 2 with the 3 wood in my bag, resulted in 2 many bogies as far as I was concerned.  Removed the 3 wood and the temptation, I found I could make the same number of birdies and litteraly no bogies on par 5's by laying up and using the wedge.  Use the club's that work for you, don't worry about what other people think

I used to do the same thing, Driver and then 2 iron through lob wedge and putter. I now carry a 2 hybrid instead of 2 iron but still don't really need a 3 wood.

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 3763 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!