IGNORED

Lamkin Perma-Wrap

Dminn23
Note: This thread is 6343 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Just wondering if anyone has used these grips on their clubs. The website says they are all weather grips in the grip wizard. Anyone have comments?

905R 9.5˚ - UST Proforce V2
904F 15˚ - YS-6
695cb 3-PW Dynamic Gold S300
Vokey SM54.14 and SM60.08
Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Pro V1x / Pro V1Cyberbilt

Just wondering if anyone has used these grips on their clubs. The website says they are all weather grips in the grip wizard. Anyone have comments?

Dminn23,

I'm not at all a fan of the permawrap, it's slick and very soft. Neither are things I find particularly great in bad weather, or if your hands perspire at all. Look into a cord grip like the tour black full cord for all weather performance. The softcord permawrap is an feasible option, but I'm not a fan of the wrap style. If it's really pouring out though, invest in some Foot Joy rain gloves, they're worth their weight in gold in hard rain where no grip is very effective.

Dminn23,

I would not call the one I felt soft by any means. The website states it as "Very Firm" too. Are we speaking of the same grips? I called Lamkin on the phone today just to get their input because there is not much literature about these grips and they said it is one of their best grips in the rain. I realize its the company but I think they would've possibly pointed me in another direction, such as cord.

904F 15˚ - YS-6

I would not call the one I felt soft by any means. The website states it as "Very Firm" too. Are we speaking of the same grips? I called Lamkin on the phone today just to get their input because there is not much literature about these grips and they said it is one of their best grips in the rain. I realize its the company but I think they would've possibly pointed me in another direction, such as cord.

Dminn23,

If you're talking about this: Then yes, it's an extremely slick grip in high humidity and poor weather. I'm not sure if you've played cords before, but their traction in wet weather is much better than any plain rubber grip. However, grips are so personal, what works for some may not work for others. Buy a sampler of a couple of grips, install them, and see which one you like best! If you don't know how to install grips, I can help you with that, it's so easy no one should pay someone else $4 labor to re-grip their clubs.

Dminn23,

I actually play the stock Golf Pride Tour Velvet Cords that come standard on titleist equipment so I know what you mean about cord holding up in humid weather. I was just interested in trying something new, starting out with the grip on just my sand and lob wedges.

I would like it if you helped me to install, I think I should learn...if you have an easy method that'd be great, I've seen the instruction on the Lamkin site but is there a better way or some things to be cautious of?

904F 15˚ - YS-6

I actually play the stock Golf Pride Tour Velvet Cords that come standard on titleist equipment so I know what you mean about cord holding up in humid weather. I was just interested in trying something new, starting out with the grip on just my sand and lob wedges.

Dminn23,

Give it a try on the wedges and see if you like them, then you can put them on the rest of your clubs. Installation is very easy.
  1. Use a hooked blade to cut the old grip off, peel off the old grip tape.
  2. Apply new double sided tape, and peel off the top backing.
  3. Soak the tape with solvent, and add solvent in the mouth of the grip. Remember to cover the drain hole with your finger and shake the grip up and down to make sure the inside of the grip is covered in solvent. This is the key step, it's always better to use more solvent and allow it to take more time to dry than get a grip stuck 1/2 way on.
  4. Slide the mouth of the grip over the butt of the shaft and push it on until it is fully seated (can't go any further).
  5. Make final adjustments to be sure the grip is straight.
I'll try and add some pictures next time I do a set.

Dminn23,

What type of grip tape and solvent do you suggest?

904F 15˚ - YS-6

Dminn23,

Any two inch double sided grip tape from golfsmith or golf galaxy will work just fine. Apply it lengthwise on the shaft. Do not use the sprial tape, it's worthless. Stay away from the water activated tape, as it is next to impossible to get off later. As far as solvents go, I really like Bramptons HF-100 which is non-toxic, odor free, and very easy on your hands. However, it can be difficult to procure on short notice. http://www.myostrichgolf.com/clubmak...roducts_id=221 At Golfsmith, I would buy their non-toxic odor free solvent. Avoid the stuff that smells like oranges, it's got a lot of odor and dires out your hands faster than the Sahara. http://www.golfsmith.com/products/9158 Odor free mineral spirits are another option, the issue is that they are so volatile, you need to work fairly quickly. I wouldn't use them your first time regripping.

Look at Golfworks or Golfsmith on the Web or Golfsmith or Golf Galaxy in freestanding stores. Obviously there are others, especially online. Most people prefer the wide tape. It comes in versions which use water or a chemical based solvent. I have not tried water based myself, but the traditiional solvent based kind works fine. I moisten the old tape on the shaft with it before I scrape it off, saves lots of time.

1W Cleveland LauncherComp 10.5, 3W Touredge Exotics 15 deg.,FY Wilson 19.5 degree
4 and 5H, 6I-GW Callaway Razr, SW, LW Cleveland Cg-14, Putter Taylor Made Suzuka, Ball, Srixon XV Yellow

Went to golf galaxy and bought 2 different grips to try on the wedges. I bought a Lamkin Crossline Cord and a Golf Pride Tour Wrap. Honestly I don't know how I'll respond to a tour wrap but its worth trying...hell, just a couple bucks. Anyways, the grips are on and drying. So easy and its something to do on a rainy night in Ohio, like the one right now. Thanks for the help!

904F 15˚ - YS-6

Now just remeber to change your grips every season, they will fell like new everytime..

Driver: Taylor Made R7 425 9.5° TP Stiff
Fairway: Taylor Made V-Steel #3 w/Fujikura Rombax Stiff
Irons: Taylor Made rac LT 4-PW shaft; Rifle Flighted 6.0
Wedges: Tayor Made rac 52° 56° 60°Utility: Taylor Made Rescue TP #3 (Aldila NV Hybid 85g Stiff)Putter: Scotty...

Note: This thread is 6343 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!